PokerDeath
    PokerDeath's Avatar Become A Pro!

Serious Poker Playing Shortening My Life?

After an all night run on the tables, I slept a few, got up, and the first thing that popped through the fog in my brain was, Man, I gotta quit something. My question is how many years does serious poker playing take off your life? And for people who have better habits than I, what methods do you use for keeping it together while playing long runs.

QuickLearner
    QuickLearner's Avatar Become A Pro!

THere is another thread where I gave my weekly schedule. Not that I think my way is the only right way...

Your question is a good one. THere are certainly health risks. Poker is sedentary. Any sedentary lifestyle will cut your lifespan unless you have the discipline to get out of the chair and exercise. I wish I could hold myself up as a good example, but sadly I can't. I'm one of those guys who will say I'll get around to joining a gym but will probably be on a respirator before I actually do it.

Online poker is bad for your eyes, posture, and sleep schedule. I better stop before I talk myself completely out of it.

Dead Money
    Dead Money's Avatar Become A Pro!

This sounds messed up but when I play online I usually stand/pace around 50% of the time.

PokerDeath

Pacing sounds good. But how do you manage that, the mouse and all?

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDeath
    Pacing sounds good. But how do you manage that, the mouse and all?
    I don't do the pacing thing but I use a wireless trackball mouse so, in my case, this would be workable..

PokerRoomReview.com
    PokerRoomReview.com's Avatar Become A Pro!

PD,

If you feel that your playing poker online is shortening your life, you should probably take a break for a while.

It is never a healthy situation sitting in front of the computer for hours at a time without getting up and moving around, a breath of fresh air and a short walk are always a good idea when spending a lot of time in front of the computer.

GL

Warm regards,

PokerRoomReview.com

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

After an all night run on the tables, I slept a few, got up, and the first thing that popped through the fog in my brain was, Man, I gotta quit something. My question is how many years does serious poker playing take off your life? And for people who have better habits than I, what methods do you use for keeping it together while playing long runs.
    Excellent question, really. As with most bad habits (bad diet, smoking, etc) the cost on average life expectancy is far smaller than most people believe (usually < 1 year). Interesting stuff on that here.

However, stress is brutal and quality of life is more important than life exectancy if you ask me. Gambling has been my sole source of income since 1994, and this was 100% poker income until 2000, so I've got some hours in. Poker is now a minor source of income for me. Of all the gambling I've done, poker is by far the most stressful for me. Only blackjack comes close.

It's a strange thing, my swings are often bigger in other areas, and my confidence in my poker game is higher than any other area, yet something about the dynamics of poker is tough on me.

I don't think there's much you can do to reduce the stress other than abstaining. I've know a lot of poker players for a lot of years. For some, poker is actually therapeutic stress relief. For others like myself, it is stressful to the point of being unhealthy. I have never known anyone who was able to switch from being one of these types to the other. I'd be surprised if it were even possible without brain surgery.

My advice is if you really are concerned, quit for at least a few weeks. Objectively take notes on your physical well-being, hapiness, how well your sleeping, etc. Also be objective on how much you miss the good parts of playing poker, and the income if you're a winning player. Make a decision.

I'm not sure if you were as serious about this question as the answer I'm giving, but I think it is a serious issue. I know so many good people who would be so much better off without gambling in their lives, and they generally don't even take the first step of asking the question that you asked.

Also, assuming you do continue playing poker, and who are we kidding, you probably will. Exercise is the only thing for me that counteracts the bad stress of poker. If you're as competative as me (and you probably are if you're so drawn to poker) you'll have the best results by joining some sort of recreational team sport. For me, it's inline hockey leagues 2-3 times a week, but almost anything reasonably physical will do wonders.

Good luck.

PokerDeath

Wow! That study, if accurate, is the best news I've had in a while. And yes, I was serious, and I thank you for your well thought-out and considerate reply.

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow! That study, if accurate, is the best news I've had in a while. And yes, I was serious, and I thank you for your well thought-out and considerate reply.
    Any time.

Don't forget about quality of life. Poker probably won't take any significant years off your life, but by the end, you may wish it had.

McFly
    McFly's Avatar Become A Pro!

Unless I'm in a tournament, I don't play for more than 2 hours at a time. The body needs streching and relaxation. So does the brain for that matter. Rarely do I find myself in a tourney lasting more than 2 hours....