rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    Pacquiao has gone from fighting as a superfeatherweight (130lbs) to a light middleweight catch fight (150lbs) in his last 8 fights.

This is what fighters do they start their careers shedding weight and fighting smaller fighters and develop their skills as they climb weight classes till they find a class that best suits their frame and height. Margarito and Williams are middleweight fighters who have been fighting as welterweights, Martinez is a lightheavy weight who has been fighting as a middleweight.

No comparison at all here Pac will plateau as a welterweight because it is the class that best fits his height and bone structure, Martinez will plateau as a light heavyweight.

Absolutely no reason for Pac to fight someone with an 8" reach advantage, 3" height advantage and a 30lb natural body weight difference.

If you guys want to watch a 140lb man fight a 170lb man you should watch the UFC
    this might hold water if manny hadn`t destroyed margarito.....who,btw,stopped martinez.....

manny needs to stop picking and choosing perfect opponents.....he`s proof that freddie roach is an even better match-maker than a trainer....

and that`s saying something...
    Last edited by rocky mattioli; 03-14-11 at 08:40 PM.

raidersfan
    raidersfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by rem sleep View Post
    Martinez can't even make 154 anymore. And Pacquiao has never fought at 154. He fought at 150 catchweight and couldn't even make that, he weighed in at 145. What your saying is the equivalent of saying Vitali Klitchko would kill Martinez. Off course he would because its not a fair fight.
    Martinez would make 154 if it was for pacman....believe it.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post

this might hold water if manny hadn`t destroyed margarito.....who,btw,stopped martinez.....

manny needs to stop picking and choosing perfect opponents.....he`s proof that freddie roach is an even better match-maker than a trainer....

Agreed manny hasn't fought a legitament opponent since cotto.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky mattioli View Post

Point is Martinez has a much thicker frame than a wiry guy like martinez and should be moving up in weight like all other fighters and not moving down. Just because Margarito beat Martinez it does not mean in any way that he is as physically strong as Martinez. Margarito started as a welterweight and is now working his way up the chain like all fighters do, Martinez started as a light middle weight and has been working his way up the chain.

If Manny beats Martinez I would be impressed as he would be at a huge physical disadvantage (much larger than the disadvantage he faced against Margarito).

If Martinez beats Manny I am not impressed in the least bit and once the 2 are seen standing side by side in the ring I doubt anybody would be impressed.

As someone else suggested there are plenty of great middleweights for Martinez to fight Kessler, Abraham, Froch, etc. Martinez needs to man up and fight men his own size and up and stop calling out smaller guys like Manny after fights.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Pacquiao has a huge speed advantage in every single one of his fights. I don't see you saying pacquiao should fight faster fighters....

rem sleep
    rem sleep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18831

Quote Originally Posted by raidersfan View Post
    Martinez would make 154 if it was for pacman....believe it.

Pacquiao has never fought at 154. Pacquiao can't even make 150. He weighed in at 145 against Margarito and the weight limit was 150. For his frame (height and build) and the amount of training he does its literally impossible for him to weigh anywhere close to 154.

So the real question is will Martinez make 147 to fight Pacquiao? Think about who is bringing in all the money into the fight. Pacquiao's last fight sold 1.25 million PPV's. Martinez has never sold a single PPV in his entire career. Either fight Pacquiao at 147 or f*ck off.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    Pacquiao has a huge speed advantage in every single one of his fights. I don't see you saying pacquiao should fight faster fighters....
    What are you talking about?

Of course Pacquiao has a huge speed advantage in all of his fights he is a 140lb man fighting guys who walk around at 160lbs.

So yes, Manny should stay in his weight class and fight faster fighters and Martinez should move up and fight larger fighters who are on his level of physical strength.

What do you expect manny to do keep moving up in weight and fighting bigger fighters until he either loses or becomes brain dead from the extreme physical abuse he has endured.

A brain dead fighter is worthless no matter how great he once was, i.e. Meldrick Taylor.

If martinez can make 150lbs I am sure manny would fight him but Martinez will get killed if he drops that much weight and I doubt Martinez would attempt that since he already has to drop weight just to fight at 160lbs.
    Last edited by sharpcat; 03-15-11 at 05:02 AM.

First 12