texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

So, before VAR…

…were bad goals just counting left and right? Or do the officials know to handle things a certain way and let play resume because they know there’s a review system in place? Because VAR comes into play a ton and wipes out goals left and right, much more often than you’d think for a sport that’s been around for I believe last I checked it was seven hundred million years.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

VAR sucks.

But corrupt refs make it too hard to rely on their call alone anymore

texhooper

Doh!

Hugh Madbrough
    Hugh Madbrough's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 300

In yesterday's Copa Libertadores game between Millonarios and Universidad Catolica, the crowd threw coins at the refs after UC was awarded a penalty. It was a penalty though, i'll admit it. I'm a Millos fan. Game had no VAR.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Before VAR you had to know people at the right places to win bets in soccer. Knowing if the ref was in the fix was critical. But once you knew where the fix is going to be placing the bet was sweat free.

texhooper

Hahaha DAMN YOU VAR

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18983

Most of the problems with soccer stem from the game being run by an organisation, (FIFA), whose aims don't mesh with the core supporter in Europe that provides the sport's income. VAR has been unpopular from day 1 because it's doing what FIFA wants to be seen to be doing rather than meeting the consensus opinion of fans on any given decision. Fans want VAR to correct obvious errors. If it's not obvious then let the referee control the game. From it's inception VAR has overruled the referee on decisions that are incredibly tight.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    Most of the problems with soccer stem from the game being run by an organisation, (FIFA), whose aims don't mesh with the core supporter in Europe that provides the sport's income. VAR has been unpopular from day 1 because it's doing what FIFA wants to be seen to be doing rather than meeting the consensus opinion of fans on any given decision. Fans want VAR to correct obvious errors. If it's not obvious then let the referee control the game. From its inception VAR has overruled the referee on decisions that are incredibly tight.
    Yeah lotta fibers of uniforms being a pubic millimeter behind the defense and determining offsides calls that disallow goals. And in the moment the refs don’t seem like they’d ever call it back but then the call comes in and bam. Just seems like this had to have changed the game a lot, but I didn’t watch much soccer at all before the COVID lockdown so I don’t really know the before and after

texhooper

Looks like Bournemouth has gotten away with two handballs in the box against Arsenal. I guess Man City is controlling VAR today

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    Looks like Bournemouth has gotten away with two handballs in the box against Arsenal. I guess Man City is controlling VAR today
    City gets every break known to man unless it's in the champions league where karma gets it right.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2416

…were bad goals just counting left and right? Or do the officials know to handle things a certain way and let play resume because they know there’s a review system in place? Because VAR comes into play a ton and wipes out goals left and right, much more often than you’d think for a sport that’s been around for I believe last I checked it was seven hundred million years.
    its because 10 years or so ago, if the striker was a little bit offside, it was still given as a goal. The attacker had the benefit here.
    Now if your little finger is offside, its no goal. And obviously before, the human eye couldn't see if your finger or elbow is off.

I mean its not like every goal has a debate of offside.... maybe 15%?

Iona
    Iona's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 49715

For me ,the handball in the box determination is administered inconsistently(especially in the SPFL). I have seen - many times - penalties awarded / denied with the same set of circumstances. At this point, it's become a joke.

Just me "2 cents".
    Points Awarded:

semibluff gave Iona 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by cashin81 View Post
    its because 10 years or so ago, if the striker was a little bit offside, it was still given as a goal. The attacker had the benefit here.
    Now if your little finger is offside, its no goal. And obviously before, the human eye couldn't see if your finger or elbow is off.

I mean it’s not like every goal has a debate of offside.... maybe 15%?
    That’s a pretty high percentage though, or maybe I should say that will affect quite a few games. I’d say VAR comes into play and reverses or initiates decisions/goals with 20% of games it’s available in maybe? Just an estimate based on my degeneracy. I’d like to say a third but that seems high. It’s quite a bit though.

I don’t really have a beef with it because I don’t know enough, which is why I started this thread. In my mind, my very American mind, I’m thinking “let’s get all the calls right.” But when it comes to soccer, and seeing it come into play as a deciding factor as much as it does, it seems like this has to be a radical change for the biggest sport in the world after so many years, and now we’re getting microscopic with what I thought we had decided was “the beautiful game”

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Iona View Post
    For me ,the handball in the box determination is administered inconsistently(especially in the SPFL). I have seen - many times - penalties awarded / denied with the same set of circumstances. At this point, it's become a joke.

Just me "2 cents".
    This is kinda what I have seen too in my limited experience which is why I started the thread. Good feedback

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

Refereeing a soccer game is almost impossible; the size of the field makes it ridiculously difficult for older men and women, especially non-athletes, to keep up with the players. As far as VAR goes, if it's going to be implemented then it has to be used on every goal and not just "obviously incorrect" ones; better to have it than not.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2416

That’s a pretty high percentage though, or maybe I should say that will affect quite a few games. I’d say VAR comes into play and reverses or initiates decisions/goals with 20% of games it’s available in maybe? Just an estimate based on my degeneracy. I’d like to say a third but that seems high. It’s quite a bit though.

I don’t really have a beef with it because I don’t know enough, which is why I started this thread. In my mind, my very American mind, I’m thinking “let’s get all the calls right.” But when it comes to soccer, and seeing it come into play as a deciding factor as much as it does, it seems like this has to be a radical change for the biggest sport in the world after so many years, and now we’re getting microscopic with what I thought we had decided was “the beautiful game”
    Probably like 5% was being generous. But the problem isnt necessary var, its that now specifically offside is so strict.

And, yes sometimes pens arent given, or given with little evidence. But before the ref could compeletly ignore a handball and claim he didnt see, or give a phantom pen.

Phantom pens still given tho lol

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

VAR has costed me a ton of money

texhooper

Man City just benefited from the most bogus VAR review against Leipzig.

Followed it up with a goal and rout is on

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

VAR is great

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    VAR is great
    Haha I have City too so not complaining but man. Crazy that that was even reviewed

Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2146

Haha I have City too so not complaining but man. Crazy that that was even reviewed
    I'm a little confused, are you saying it was definitely a handball and didn't need to be reviewed?

texhooper

I’m saying it was a cheap ass call that shouldn’t have been reviewed. I’m in public amongst man city fans who didn’t notice it at the time and even after the review they know they got away with one

Headsterx

I thought ref blew it as a handball but went to VAR to double check. Without VAR it would've been an automatic PK. That was my understanding. Though I'm working and watching it at the same time so might have mistaken it.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Headsterx View Post
    I thought ref blew it as a handball but went to VAR to double check. Without VAR it would've been an automatic PK. That was my understanding. Though I'm working and watching it at the same time so might have mistaken it.
    Nah ref didn’t blow it as a handball. Play had already resumed going the other way and it got blown dead for the VAR review.

Headsterx

Nah ref didn’t blow it as a handball. Play had already resumed going the other way and it got blown dead for the VAR review.
    Ah ok, thanks!

Headsterx

But I guess it really doesn't matter... 4-0 and counting

Points Awarded:

texhooper gave Headsterx 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

texhooper

Ah ok, thanks!
    At this point it doesn’t matter though haha…Man City has gotten the benefit of some beneficial stuff but man they are just dominating. Credit the Leipzig goalie though, he is working his ass off and getting zero help

texhooper

But I guess it really doesn't matter... 4-0 and counting

Yes exactly