pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

wow. i had my doubts.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6231

More strike outs in post season this will be good no only joking it good to see him remain a Yankee

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32329

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Was never in doubt
    I said the same thing over and over again
    Judge is a smart man, he has smart handlers, he has a smart team.

All professional sports is a business.
    Judge and his team played the free agency business to perfection.

Judge is a nice person, he's approachable, he's friendly, and all that other bullshit.
    He's a businessman too.

Good on Aaron Judge.

Like Gold said, he sells merchandise, he sells tickets.
    Did the Yankees overpay?
    Maybe, maybe not.
    Judge generates money.

stevenash

The only credible source I rely on

https://www.mlb.com/

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Judge earned it.

The last 2 years of the Judge/Stanton contracts will cripple even the Yankees.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Bad contract

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    Judge earned it.

The last 2 years of the Judge/Stanton contracts will cripple even the Yankees.
    Judge did earn it.

From the only other credible source I run with
    Source: Ken Rosenthal (via The Athletic) ten minutes ago

I apologize for the copy and past job and the wall of text to follow, but you need a subscription to The Athletic to read.

link
    https://theathletic.com/3978217/2022...agent-details/

Content

Everything we know about the Aaron Judge contract talks, including a late pitch by Padres

AN DIEGO — Aaron Judge agreed to return to the New York Yankees early Wednesday morning on a landmark nine-year, $360 million contract, but only after a last-minute push from a surprise entrant in the sweepstakes for the free-agent slugger — the San Diego Padres.

Judge’s deal, which is pending a physical, gives him the highest average annual value for a position player in major-league history, shattering Mike Trout’s previous mark of $35.5 million by almost $5 million. The deal is two years longer and worth $146.5 million more than the seven-year, $213.5 million extension offer Judge rejected from the Yankees at the end of spring training

Judge, who turns 31 on April 26, shot up his value by putting together baseball’s all-time best walk year, hitting 62 home runs to break the American League single-season record. He will now be tied to the Yankees through his age-39 season. He is expected to become the team’s captain as part of the agreement, which ensures he likely will retire wearing the only uniform he has ever known.

The Giants made a strong push for Judge, and at one point Tuesday appeared to be gaining momentum in their efforts to sign him. Seeking to add a big-name slugger, they are now expected to pursue one of the remaining three shortstops on the free-agent market — Carlos Correa, Xander Bogaerts or Dansby Swanson.

The Padres struck out Monday on Trea Turner, but as so often is the case under general manager A.J. Preller, were not ready to stop swinging. Club officials met face-to-face with Aaron Judge on Tuesday night at Petco Park in San Diego, four sources briefed on the matter told The Athletic. However, it is believed they never got the chance to make a formal bid.

A sitdown with Judge signaled that Preller and owner Peter Seidler were seriously considering the pivot of all pivots. Before Turner agreed to a $300 million deal with the Phillies, the Padres offered the shortstop a $342 million guarantee spread out over at least 11 years, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions. Now that they have lost out on Judge, they could embark upon a more serious pursuit of Bogaerts, in whom industry sources say Preller maintains interest.

Judge, however, represented a better fit for the Padres than Bogaerts or Turner. Signing him would give San Diego arguably the most star-powered outfield in baseball, with the American League home-run king and Juan Soto patrolling the corners. It also would have allowed Fernando Tatis Jr. to stay in the infield once he returned from his suspension for performance-enhancing drugs on April 20, in some combination alongside Jake Cronenworth and Ha-Seong Kim.

The Padres would have become the first major-league team to carry three $300 million players — Judge, Tatis and Manny Machado. Instead, that distinction will go to the Yankees, who have pitcher Gerrit Cole on a nine-year, $324 million contract and Giancarlo Stanton on a 13-year, $325 million deal they acquired from the Marlins.

With Judge set to return, the Yankees intend to accelerate other free-agent pursuits. Left-hander Carlos Rodón, outfielder Andrew Benintendi and Japanese outfielder Matsataka Yoshida are among the players in whom they have interest. The team has already re-signed first baseman Anthony Rizzo and reached agreement with reliever Tommy Kahnle.
    The Athletic’s Andy McCullough contributed to this story

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Nasher thoughts on Phillies pitching FA sign ups

Salam
    Salam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10044

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Bad contract
    Yeah he'll be 31 in April plus he's ugly.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Nasher thoughts on Phillies pitching FA sign ups
    From where I sit you (Phillies) only need one reliable starter.
    There are no starters available under the age of 30 years old.

If I were a Phillies fan, I am not, I am a KC Royals fan, yeah, I know, we suck, but that's another story for another day...

Anyhow, Carlos Rondon would be a nice fit below Nola in the rotatation.
    Live left arm, lefties are a premium, HUGE K/9 ratio, walks are a little high, but not alarming.
    I'd be thrilled to have Rondon as a middle of the rotation starter. Thrilled, he's really a two.

You can't go wrong with Sean Manaea either.
    I've always been big on Manaea.

Eovaldi can be had, throws 102 mph, but a lot of those are straight fastballs, which often leave the park in a hurry.
    I played D2 in college, I used to cream straight fastballs, curveball pitchers made me look like an idiot at the plate, fastballs that don't move? Any quality hitter can crush them

PASS on Eovaldi.

Chris Bassit?
    Meh

Jose Quintana?
    He's 33 now, used to baffle hitters, now, no.

jjgold

It was more to generate money for the organization, judge doesn’t give you the best chance to win, his swing is easily stopped against a good pitcher

The Yankees needs speed and slap hitters

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Good for Judge but I think the Giants and other suitors might be better off he stayed a Yankee. These long contracts have a way of not paying off and then your team is terrible towards the end of a players deal. I'm happy for Judge he seems like a good dude but I think the Yankees might end up regretting this deal towards the middle to late years of Judge's deal.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It was more to generate money for the organization, judge doesn’t give you the best chance to win, his swing is easily stopped against a good pitcher

The Yankees needs speed and slap hitters
    DJ LaMahieu is the best slap hitter in the game.

Yankees major problem is they can't 'close out' postseason games.
    That's an intangible that can't be fixed via FA.

I'm analytics and sabermetrics guy, yes.
    I'm also old school.
    I still believe your ideal leadoff guy should be a high OBA and speed merchant guy.
    I still believe your two hole guy should be a stick man that can shoot a single the other way and move the lead off guy to third on a single.

3-4-5 ideally should be your power sticks.

DJ is the best stick man in the game.

Yankees have power to spare, problem is they swing and miss too, much to often.

Pitching?
    As complete as the Dodgers and the other top three teams.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

Just like that another arod deal that will hinder the team and guarantee them zero World Series over the next 9 years

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

he better perform and earn this deal. this year in his walk year you never heard about injuries (no surprise with contact at stake). years before injuries came up a lot. that is my bigger worry with him.

jjgold

Judge could never have a better year than this past one and yanks got smoked

Not a good sign moving forward

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17053

I hope Judge gets an ingrown toe nail.