adrianvxo
    adrianvxo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Ultimate Bad Beat - Bookmaker had the perfect recipe

I feel like I need to capitulate after tonight.

I needed a big win, so I took all my money out of my crypto accounts ($6k that were just sitting there, getting beaten by the bear market) and threw it into Bookmaker.

I wanted to play it all on the Celtics Heat over. The line was 195.5 points. By the time I withdrew/deposited, the line had moved up to 196.5. Surely I still place my bet, right? It's just one point difference. There is no 195.5 anymore, not even for lower odds.

Placed $6300 to win $5700. I felt like was finally going to have a win. I was watching the game live and the lines moved up to 208.5 at one point. But yet, out of my experience, it's not over until it's over. But still, I needed only 40 points in the last quarter of a conference final game with some of the best athletes in the world.

ALSO, there is no way on Bookmaker to cash out live, which I would have defibitely done at that point.

They kept missing and missing and missing. A 3 pointer got downgraded to a 2 pointer minutes after it was scored. Then the last minute came. Butler shoots a 3 instead of an easier 2. The Heat cannot score anymore and even refuse to foul to stop the clock. The last shot goes in and out of the basket. A player gets fouled but with a second too late.

You cannot make this shit up. It almost feels diabolical how the quarter ends in 39 points. I've had bad beats before, but this feels more like a carefully written script for my ultimate bad beat.

Feeling super depressed and I'm not sure how I will forget this one. I needed a win.

I would have definitely picked 195 or lower, but they only throw one option at you. Most other bookies would have closer alternate lines, but they only had 196,5. Incredible. Couldn't even cash out as they don't have that option. Do I quit Bookmaker or gambling in geneal? How the hell did they manage to architect this lost bet??

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

sorry to hear

but you can adjust the line on bookmaker, there is a little arrow next to the teams, that gives you a drop-down menu... or in the bet slip you can click on it and buy/sell up to 1.5 pts either way

you're still alive, it was a terrible experience but it was still an experience, which is better than a life of meaningless boring shit

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

it happens

gamblers never talk about all the lucky winners they had

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

It does make you sick when you lose by a point

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    you're still alive, it was a terrible experience but it was still an experience, which is better than a life of meaningless boring shit
    ^^^^There you go, this is all you really need to know. And six grand is a lot of money but it’s not the end of the world.

If you want to quit gambling then quit, but I think you’re just in shock. Maybe in the future don’t extend yourself this much if the loss is too much to handle. But six grand, in the GRAND scheme of things, isn’t that big of a deal, and you can recover from that

A tip though…maybe start a little smaller, and make your six grand bet after you’ve built up a little bankroll. Don’t empty out an account to go all in on some NBA total. But whatever, you’re gonna be alright

Good luck to you

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

You are in your own world where no matter what desicion you make you cannot win

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Take a break. It'll feel good and you'll come back better.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

i live for stories like these. entertainment at its best

teacher10
    teacher10's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3078

Just reload and go all in again. When you win, you'll forget your bad beat.

slayer14

You getting too emotional over the bet mate

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

If you won by a point or lost by a point the book had you by the balls. I’m sorry bro. You gambled.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

this happens all the time

slayer14

This kind of stuff happens to gamblers like at least 10 occasions a week

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24927

Going all-in with your freshly cashed crypto roll was a mistake in itself. There's no need to put yourself in a feast or famine predicament, especially on an NBA total of all things. At least break it up into two $3K plays if you're really intent on swinging for the fence, give yourself a little margin for error.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

you bet the over in a game 7 with 2 defensive teams

come on man!

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

O195.5 was a good play, 196.5 wasn't. Don't ever take a worse number just because "what's the chance it lands on that number?". The chance is like 4%. Turned a 54% +EV play into a 50% -EV play.

And you don't go all-in with your balance, because you might get a good chance to middle live. Kinda like going all-in at the blackjack table and then being dealt an 11 with the dealer showing a 6. You better be able to come up with the dough. And live cashout is for dummies. Smart bettors pick good spots for middles live. Almost every game can be middled live with good timing.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    O195.5 was a good play, 196.5 wasn't. Don't ever take a worse number just because "what's the chance it lands on that number?". The chance is like 4%. Turned a 54% +EV play into a 50% -EV play.

And you don't go all-in with your balance, because you might get a good chance to middle live. Kinda like going all-in at the blackjack table and then being dealt an 11 with the dealer showing a 6. You better be able to come up with the dough. And live cashout is for dummies. Smart bettors pick good spots for middles live. Almost every game can be middled live with good timing.
    I don't really get this theory (not the first bit) on trying to middle. I'm bad at when i'm on a bad run but more often than not it doesn't work imo. If you're trying to middle you're either a) not that confident in your initial play or b) greedy. Unless teams are shooting lights out or getting completely blown out in the first half I don't really think there think without the benefit of hindsight there's middle opportunities in too many games.

And to the OP I didn't see the game just watched and looked at the play by play for the last minute that is ridiculously unlucky, Heat with three 3 attempts especially that they got the offensive board with 11 seconds left or whatever it was, Boston get that it's a foul and free throws. Kinda looked like Heat got the foul in at the very end but fair play to the refs for not calling a meaningless one.
    Last edited by Mase of Base; 05-31-22 at 01:54 AM.

slapshot
    slapshot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23641

quick money in sports betting is gambling and gambling is innately flawed....it can work one time after another but eventually you'll get caught and end up in the red.

sports betting is a grind....it's not fun to hear but a bankroll needs to be stretched out to survive bad beats....bad beats are guaranteed just like catching breaks.

making money betting is 50% money management and dicipline and 50% picking winners.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    quick money in sports betting is gambling and gambling is innately flawed....it can work one time after another but eventually you'll get caught and end up in the red.

sports betting is a grind....it's not fun to hear but a bankroll needs to be stretched out to survive bad beats....bad beats are guaranteed just like catching breaks.

making money betting is 50% money management and dicipline and 50% picking winners.
    It's close to 0% either. It's 99%+ finding value/edge/advantage. You can't money manage your way to profit unless you have positive expected value.

slapshot
    slapshot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23641

finding value is important....however if you got not dicipline or money management it won't matter.

you can win on 9 value bets only to throw it all away on the 10th value bet.

adrianvxo

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    sorry to hear

but you can adjust the line on bookmaker, there is a little arrow next to the teams, that gives you a drop-down menu... or in the bet slip you can click on it and buy/sell up to 1.5 pts either way

I've played at Bookmaker for more than 10 years and I never knew this... If I would have known I would have $12,000 in my account as opposed to 0.. This actually makes me feel a lot worse lol

stackz125
    stackz125's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 400

They also took away a max strus's 3. They reciewed it and he stepped out of bounds.

The heat missed 7 shots in a row in the 4th at one point...

adrianvxo

Quote Originally Posted by stackz125 View Post
    They also took away a max strus's 3. They reciewed it and he stepped out of bounds.

The heat missed 7 shots in a row in the 4th at one point...
    Yeah exactly... I just needed 40 in that last quarter. With 50 seconds to go, I just needed 1. Also, Heat fouled on the last play but with a second too late. Before that, Celtics fouled but they happened to have the last foul to give.

I've had bad beats before but this one is insane to me.