trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

secretariat in there someplace

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

Quote Originally Posted by Allure View Post
    Pele lol. Can't get more overrated than that guy who never played outside America in a time where soccer was played basically standing. Basically played in amateur league all his life.

But it's your list so all good.
    Im no soccer guy but im thinking you dont know what Pele did.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Man I can put out the greatest list but the current generation will not like it.

Ty Cobb
    Babe Ruth
    Willie Mays
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Michael Jordan
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Gordie Howe
    Bobby Orr
    Wayne Gretzky
    Vladislav Tretiak
    Johnny Unitas
    Jim Brown
    Jesse Owens
    Usain Bolt
    Michael Phelps
    Mark Spitz
    Billie Jean King
    Steffi Graf
    Nadia Comaneci
    Diego Maradona
    Laker, I like it. I realize you have to leave SOMEONE out. What about Ted Williams and Pele?

Swimming is a timed event, over era. Funny how Spitz times eventually shattered, wouldn't even touch Phelps times.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    That's silly. How are you defining athlete? Running fast and jumping high and being strong. If that's the case, then the list will be totally different. He plays a sport, he's an athlete. By tat standard, why is Babe Ruth on your list.
    Ruth played two positions at an extremely high level.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    Im no soccer guy but im thinking you dont know what Pele did.
    Oh I certainly do know what he has done. It is also no secret since it is widely available to look it up. It doesn't change my statement. He is overrated and doesn't belong in a Top 20 list especially if that list doesn't even include Maradona.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5602

In no particular order:

Bill Russell
    Wayne Gretzky
    Bobby Orr
    Ted Williams
    Babe Ruth
    Tom Brady
    Michael Jordan
    LeBron James
    Barry Sanders
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Barry Bonds
    Simone Biles
    Pele
    Lawrence Taylor
    Martin Brodeur
    Muhammad Ali
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Novak Djokovic
    Jon Bones Jones
    Tiger Woods
    Last edited by Swinging Johnson; 07-07-21 at 09:43 AM.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Swingin, pretty good. We're talking GOATs, so I like your list. My personal critique:

1) Always thought BRussell was a hair overrated. Played on the right team. Swap him out for Kareem.
    ...Sounds impossible for a 6x champ to be under-rated, but Kareem is underrated. Production/longevity was taken for granted.

2) I love Brodeur. He might have been better than Roy, based on consistency.

3) I can't put Bones Jones in there. Messed up his career by failing drug tests.

The only real "Olympic" athlete you have on there is Biles, which is fine. Only in spotlight once every four years. Dan Gable and Michael Phelps worthy of mention.

Runeblade
    Runeblade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Swingin, pretty good. We're talking GOATs, so I like your list. My personal critique:

1) Always thought BRussell was a hair overrated. Played on the right team. Swap him out for Kareem.
    ...Sounds impossible for a 6x champ to be under-rated, but Kareem is underrated. Production/longevity was taken for granted.

3) I can't put Bones Jones in there. Messed up his career by failing drug tests.

The only real "Olympic" athlete you have on there is Biles, which is fine. Only in spotlight once every four years. Dan Gable and Michael Phelps worthy of mention.
    Brodeur benefited from a neutral zone trap defense that was pretty much ruining the game of hockey. Great goalie but got a lot of help

Runeblade

Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    Good list. However, mine includes Randy Johnson for Mlb. The most dominant/intimidating lefty starting pitcher, all-time
    303 wins
    4875 K’s
    Randy Johnson was a beast in his prime. I forgot about him. Once his velocity started to go though he was getting crushed.

las8
    BigdaddyQH is a pedophile
    las8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16799

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Well athlete in terms of his profession. Best professional athlete ever, probably more than Jordan. Winning 7 superbowls harder than winning 6 nba finals. No qb ever gonna sniff that record.

This guy Minnesota said David Beckham lmao. Minny, are you talking about the loser who played with Gerrard Lampard Rooney Terry Sean Wright Phillips and add in Beckham and that team never won anything?

Beckham wasn't even a top 20 player in the world when he was in his prime. He was a good looking guy who bent a few balls on free kicks, and had a supermodel wife, and everyone loved him. He did nothing.
    Beckham wasn't even the best mid on that 1999 ManU team. Scholes scores goals.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

NBA Players started wearing longer baggy shorts instead of daisy dukes because of Jordan.

Well, except for Stockton.

Stockton loved his daisy dukes

Allure

Quote Originally Posted by las8 View Post
    Beckham wasn't even the best mid on that 1999 ManU team. Scholes scores goals.
    Well when Sir Alex Ferguson says that Scholes was the best midfielder in England than that's the end of discussion really.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Ruth played two positions at an extremely high level.
    So that's your qualification? You have to play two positions to be a top athlete? Come on. Who else on your list did that? A quarterback is pretty much worth 2 positions in any other sport.

Brady has excelled and achieved at his sport. Irrelevant how fast he is or how high he can jump or what he can bench press. Just like it's irrelevant for Babe Ruth also.

If it's not necessarily about particular sports achievement, then Bo Jackson should be on every list. Nobody exceled at multiple sports like him, plus just an insane athlete.

Enikk
    Enikk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    NBA Players started wearing longer baggy shorts instead of daisy dukes because of Jordan.Well, except for Stockton.

Stockton loved his daisy dukes
    I always thought Fab 5 changed the look than went pro.

las8
    BigdaddyQH is a pedophile
    las8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16799

Well when Sir Alex Ferguson says that Scholes was the best midfielder in England than that's the end of discussion really.
    Xavi and Zidane agree with Sir Alex.

Allure

Quote Originally Posted by las8 View Post
    Xavi and Zidane agree with Sir Alex.
    Rightfully so. Didn't get the attention he deserved because he wasn't flashy on and off the pitch.

Should have fukked his brother's wife to get more attention.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8365

If your talking all time and not just the last 50 years how do you leave Jim Thorpe off a list? Considered by many to be #1
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: trytrytry

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Sports figures. That's a key term..."Figures"

Don't underestimate just what Bird, Magic, and Jordan were to the NBA. We can throw Ali in there, but as the world becomes a smaller smaller village with globalization nobody in history compares to Tiger Woods and what he's done across the world.

When Woods overtook Jordan as a world brand he became something that has never been created before and it will be along time before it happens again.

That is, if we are talking about sports "Figures"

Don't forget trailblazers like Jackie Robinson and Jesse Owens.

DiggityDaggityDo

No mention of Jake Paul yet?

Wtf

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    No mention of Jake Paul yet?

Wtf
    No, his brother Logan went toe to toe with Money Mayweather and even beat him.

Jake will forever be in Logan's shadow...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">50-1 <br><br>HOLY penetrate<br><br>MY BROTHER JUST BEAT FLOYD MAYWEATHER</p>&mdash; Paul Paul (@jakepaul) <a href="https://twitter.com/jakepaul/status/1401745038237908995?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" >June 7, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    So that's your qualification? You have to play two positions to be a top athlete? Come on. Who else on your list did that? A quarterback is pretty much worth 2 positions in any other sport.

Brady has excelled and achieved at his sport. Irrelevant how fast he is or how high he can jump or what he can bench press. Just like it's irrelevant for Babe Ruth also.

If it's not necessarily about particular sports achievement, then Bo Jackson should be on every list. Nobody exceled at multiple sports like him, plus just an insane athlete.
    Bo definitely.

I'm not making any qualifications based on playing two sports. I was just responding to your assertion that Ruth wasn't a great athlete because he was fat. Ruth is the greatest sports figure in American history for at least the first 60 years of that century. His impact on baseball was so big. He was a titan . On top of that he was great at two different positions.

Brady is a relentless worker who basically willed his way to the top because of his work ethic. I'm not denying his greatness but a great athletic figure? Hell no. Guy can't run away from anyone. Qb is one position albeit the most important. Ruth played the most important position in baseball ( pitcher and did it at an incredible level) and he played another position. The only other position Brady might have been able to play is placeholder.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Where's bo Jackson and Pete rose?

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry

Magnus carlson
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

Runeblade

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    Where's bo Jackson and Pete rose?
    Bo Jackson was a freak of nature no doubt but still outside the top 20 IMO, honorable mention yes definitely. Pete rose fantastic hitter but I can't put him in the same company as Ted Williams and Babe Ruth

DiggityDaggityDo

I guess you guys never played Tecmo Bowl

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Stan Musial
    Michael Phelps
    Usain Bolt
    Mary Lou Retton
    Moses Malone
    Marvin Harrison
    Bo Jackson
    Mark Spitz
    Ted Williams
    Simone Biles
    Lew Alcinder
    Sammy Baugh
    Steve Prefontaine
    Pele
    Renoldo
    Tom Brady
    Paul Anderson
    Christy Matthewson
    Rogers Hornsby

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Arnold Schwarzenegger? He made fitness and bodybuilding to what it is today.

Allure

Michael Schumacher
    Sebastian Loeb

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Michael Schumacher
    Sebastian Loeb
    and lewis hamilton

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by Sato View Post
    Arnold Schwarzenegger? He made fitness and bodybuilding to what it is today.
    a roided up freak show?

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5602

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post

Excellent critique. We need more CTG's at SBR.

Enikk
    Enikk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

No Al Bundy? You not know what he did at Polk High? At least honorable mention.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

sanders does not belong on it

Bo Jackson even though career short was the greatest athlete that ever lived

nobody even came close

Best RB ever 25 carries in prime
    Baseball he was unreal too

Runeblade

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    sanders does not belong on it

Bo Jackson even though career short was the greatest athlete that ever lived

nobody even came close

Best RB ever 25 carries in prime
    Baseball he was unreal too
    Exactly...Career cut short due to injury is why I can't put him there. Derrick Rose was destroying the NBA until his injuries derailed his career. No one mentions him though. Barry Sanders is 2nd to Jim Brown IMO because Detroit gave him no support what so ever and still broke records left and right even with a shitty O-line. If he didn't retire early he would have smashed every record there is.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Tony Hawk

First 123 Last