Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5234

NHL has become a joke... why let a team 20 mill over the cap play?

Just saying, Tampa should be forced to sit 2 of their top players or a bunch of depth players.

They took advantage of the salary cap loophole and no one can beat this super team now.

Not even fun to watch them.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

They got a few cheap goals, but goals are goals. They didn't dominate this game. Montreal does need to get back to their game with backchecking better and dumping the puck in and forechecking better. It wasn't there tonite. Also, Armia being out and Evans in.......not sure how I think about that yet. I think they are better with both in and someone else out......but I'd rather have Armia over Evans. I could be wrong about that and Evans could be better than Armia vs. TB too.

Armia taken out by COVID along with head coach. Price had a bad game too. Made some great great saves many times but then let in trickle-types. They need to cut down on these easy point blank TB scoring opportunities too. They can skate with TB.

I do hear your claim and it does look bleak for MTL after game 1.

Unrivaled

I'm not a Montreal fan but when you have multiple players from teams who Tampa beat complaining about the cap circumvention...

I think the NHL has a problem.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    I'm not a Montreal fan but when you have multiple players from teams who Tampa beat complaining about the cap circumvention...

Hey good point man, I really haven't paid attention to salary stuff. But, I know they lost nearly NOBODY from last years Cup win. Nearly every team in every sport loses some major players at least one. A reminder that I haven't noticed the Bucs in football lose anyone major either? They must be front-loading everything paying less now and more later, etc.

Vyasports
    check raise re-raise all-in
    Vyasports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1334

it's an interesting point

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

This is collectively bargained. Why would the players be against it when doing so would be against their financial interest? You pay players 20 millions over the cap, why would players hate that?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

come back with Canadians game 2

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Yeah I don't understand the gripe here.

They were one of the best teams in nhl w/ out Krustev who sat all season getting healthy. They used the long term injury rules properly...had they missed the playoffs it'd been their misfortune.

You wanna know why Florida is winning in everything....no state tax and lots of sunshine.

That's why Florida is getting these great players, in every sport, and building playoff teams, in every sport.

Florida is a destination for winners. Canada is not.

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

I disagree with “they’re not fun to watch.” Dude, if you don’t enjoy watching the Lightning, you must hate hockey. They’re one of the most entertaining teams out there.

As for the rules, that’s a Bettman thing to come down on if they’re being broken. I haven’t really studied the details on it so I don’t know. But I wouldn’t blame TB if they did. I’d blame Bettman and the powers that be. I heard Bettman say in his Pc they did everything in the rules, so I guess for now we got to go with that.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19211

Quote Originally Posted by navyblue81 View Post
    I disagree with “they’re not fun to watch.” Dude, if you don’t enjoy watching the Lightning, you must hate hockey. They’re one of the most entertaining teams out there.
    True!

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

It’s just a cycle. Tampa went through many years of failing as a great team. They just hit the stride now. Teams repeat in hockey it happens. You’ll get a new champ next year

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

They barely beat an average Islanders team.

Montreal is not even a playoff team so yeah they should spank them with cap or over cap or whatever.

goduke

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post

Montreal is not even a playoff team so yeah they should spank them with cap or over cap or whatever.
    Radical take. Not a playoff team that is in the finals. Delusional

Judge Crater
    Judge Crater's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 509

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Yeah I don't understand the gripe here.They were one of the best teams in nhl w/ out Krustev who sat all season getting healthy. They used the long term injury rules properly...had they missed the playoffs it'd been their misfortune. You wanna know why Florida is winning in everything....no state tax and lots of sunshine.That's why Florida is getting these great players, in every sport, and building playoff teams, in every sport. Florida is a destination for winners. Canada is not.
    NHL - Absolutely correct, Florida has always been the preferred destination for Canadians in all professions.
    Baseball - Not sure, the two small market teams definitely punch above their weight but they are not powerhouses.
    CFB - Homegrown talent
    NFL - Probably both play and draw worse than average long term
    NBA - Seem to play about average, both teams did good when superstars joined them. If Lebron would have joined Admiral Farragut Academy, they probably could have played with anyone.
    CBB -Home grown talent, lots of teams, with only Florida consistently good.

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

Also, most of their players are homegrown. They are not buying Stanley cups like teams do in the nba. Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Stamkos, Point, Hedman, Killorn are drafted by them. Even if you think they did take advantage of the rules, they still had to play without their best player for the whole year. Nobody is risking missing the playoffs by stashing away a healthy superstar.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

Sharp team management knows the rules and responds accordingly.

Losers remain losers.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7708

NHL honestly has no great teams besides the lightning.
    Boston basically window closed
    Colorado has too many soft guys
    Carolina was just a regular season team. Mrazek starting games lol
    Vegas I have never liked. Good team but they always fall at the end.
    Leafs another pus sy team

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Islanders beat Boston in 6. They’re a pretty solid team. Series prolly ends in 6 if Kuch didn’t get hurt. They also spanked NYI 8-0 in one of the games. Kiddos to NYI for making it a series even though I thought the Bolts were quite a bit better. I had TB under 6 games so lost my bet there.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Just saying, Tampa should be forced to sit 2 of their top players or a bunch of depth players.

They took advantage of the salary cap loophole and no one can beat this super team now.

Stop your fukn' whining already. We get it, you don't like the Lightning. I don't recall any bitching when Chicago did the exact same thing in 2015 with Patrick Kane...when they beat the Lightning. The difference being the Lightning didn't go out and sign a bunch of high dollar free agents, they pulled from their own. One of the best run franchises (arguably the best) in the big 4 sports, quality farm system, solid drafting and trades, continuity at the top with an excellent owner, gm and coach. That's why they're in their 3rd Stanley Cup final in the last 7 years.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Ask the Canadians if they'd like a do-over on the Jonathan Drouin-Mikhail Sergachev trade. Maybe the Kings would like Eric Cernak back, considering they got all of 7 games from Ben Bishop. And not to forget the Rangers, thank you very much for Ryan McDonagh. The Bolts flipped a couple of promising forwards (who they produce like the Rays do pitchers) and a lame duck goalie for three top 6 defenseman. Don't blame the rules, blame your respective front offices.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    come back with Canadians game 2
    Thanks for the fade!

k13

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Radical take. Not a playoff team that is in the finals. Delusional
    They would not be in the playoffs if not for stupid covid format. Simple as that.

20 games under .500 is a playoff team??

Time for a spanking.

k13

Montreal +2.5 -110 for the series...lol

goduke

They would not be in the playoffs if not for stupid covid format. Simple as that.

20 games under .500 is a playoff team??

Time for a spanking.
    The schedules aren’t even set up correctly. Canada teams all played Canada teams. Regular season record this year didn’t matter. I could argue that their record would have been better had they play Buffalo a million times like some teams.
    And I didn’t say they were going to beat Tampa. I’m on record saying they would make the finals and lose to Tampa. But your take they don’t deserve to be there is garbage. They were built for playoff hockey

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    NHL honestly has no great teams besides the lightning.
    Boston basically window closed
    Colorado has too many soft guys
    Carolina was just a regular season team. Mrazek starting games lol
    Vegas I have never liked. Good team but they always fall at the end.
    Leafs another pus sy team
    Agreed, NYI and Montreal brought grit, not great teams.

Still fun to watch when I did get a chance to just watch.

icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

Different strokes I guess. I love watching the Canadiens get their shit pushed in by a much better team.
    Can't stand the Habs and their fans.

Go Bolts!

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

They are following the rules. Kicherov didn’t count against the cap because he missed the regular season. Your issue with the rules not Tampa, other teams like the Islanders were over the cap too.

Unrivaled

20 mill over the cap buys you a Stanley Cup.

NHL has become a joke honestly.

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

Then go watch the NBA cause nothing like that happens there

Or just take tampa to win at 5-1 early in the season rather than cry about it when they win

RM Logic
    RM Logic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7289

No one anywhere cares about a cap. Teams in every sport can manipulate the cap especially the NFL.

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

Followed the rules, didn't cheat and one of the best front office teams in the business

Unrivaled

Quote Originally Posted by MiDNiTe View Post
    Followed the rules, didn't cheat and one of the best front office teams in the business
    Not fun to watch though unless you are a Tampa fan.

Their team top to bottom is so good plus they have the best goalie.

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

They will probably lose 2 guys now, wonder who they will trade

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7708

Zero chance they win 3 in a row.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Cap rule been in place since 2005. And you think the Lightning are the first team to take advantage of it

Quote Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
    Then go watch the NBA cause nothing like that happens there

Or just take tampa to win at 5-1 early in the season rather than cry about it when they win

Quote Originally Posted by MiDNiTe View Post
    Followed the rules, didn't cheat and one of the best front office teams professional sports

Fify

Yeah, not like they drafted well, traded well, built a great farm system, or hired great staff from coaches to scouts

This story sums it up: https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...salary-cap-era

Every team in the league had multiple chances to draft Kucherov, Point, Palat, Cirelli. 18 teams passed on Vasilevskiy. The game winner tonight was scored by a 3rd/4th liner taken 118th. Tyler Johnson is a top 6 forward on every other team in the league. He was undrafted, as was Yanni Gourde. Hockey "experts" panned the Bolts for giving up 1st round picks for Coleman and Goodrow. Who's laughing now? Quit whining and give credit where credit's due.

12 Last