Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

Yankees Confirm 7 Covid cases of coaches and staff that all had J&J Vaccine

This could be devastating for sports and getting back to normalcy if this spreads. Apparently the 7 coaches and staff all had the J&J vaccine, which apparently is not as effective as Phizer and Moderna. This does not help convince the vaccine hesitators. J&J and Eli Lily, both do not seem to be effective against variants. The good thing is that 6 of the 7 had no symptoms. Craziest, confusing virus I've ever seen.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i wonder if that batch that they used was not effective for some reason. i agree though it does not make J&J look good on the surface.

Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5234

It is supposed to prevent you from going to hospital or dying, not from catching covid.

Mac4Lyfe

I'm surprised their stock hasn't gone down much?

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    It is supposed to prevent you from going to hospital or dying, not from catching covid.
    All vaccines or just J&J? I thought the main goal was to protect you from catching it? Of course not having serious symptoms or dying is great but people want to be protected from catching it most of all.

pologq

Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    this is what i heard also. it should stop from you getting it but if you do contract it it should be mild and could be to the point you would not even know you had it. still, breakthroughs are supposedly rare.

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

Oops. Yes, the impressive thing about J&J was it ability to keep you from getting sick. Seems the effectiveness overall may have been overstated. This is not good for any of the vaccines. Shows they are going to be fairly ineffective in controlling the virus and may not work at all over time.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    this is what i heard also. it should stop from you getting it but if you do contract it it should be mild and could be to the point you would not even know you had it. still, breakthroughs are supposedly rare.
    7 Yankees staff blows a hole in the rare angle. Hopefully, like you said a bad batch or something. But if more people start contracting it, then we might end up going back to masks and distancing, which would suck.

Roger T. Bannon

I think J&J was something like 72% effective so in a baseball organization 7 would be about right on target.

Roger T. Bannon

That's the thing about all of the vaccines. They are only 90% effective and people see 90% as being close enough to 100 to count. But it is not 100 and people will continue to get it. And that is why the whole thing about people continuing to wear masks is so stupid. They should encourage anyone that feels like wearing on to wear one. That is what they do in Japan. They wear masks over there every day just as a precaution. At least some of them.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    Oops. Yes, the impressive thing about J&J was it ability to keep you from getting sick. Seems the effectiveness overall may have been overstated. This is not good for any of the vaccines. Shows they are going to be fairly ineffective in controlling the virus and may not work at all over time.
    This is the main concern. We need these vaccines to hold up over time. Hopefully it's just J&J and we don't see this with Moderna and Phizer. Probably a lot more people have caught it as well but we just don't get tested as often once we get vaccinated. Sports teams are still testing a lot.

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    This is the main concern. We need these vaccines to hold up over time. Hopefully it's just J&J and we don't see this with Moderna and Phizer. Probably a lot more people have caught it as well but we just don't get tested as often once we get vaccinated. Sports teams are still testing a lot.
    Yes, it has been pretty obvious that is not going to happen. This is flu that spreads like cold. It is impossible to stop. It will have variants and you have to get the shot for your entire life. It will last about six months. COVID is here to stay. It has changed and will change the world.

Mac4Lyfe

That's the thing about all of the vaccines. They are only 90% effective and people see 90% as being close enough to 100 to count. But it is not 100 and people will continue to get it. And that is why the whole thing about people continuing to wear masks is so stupid. They should encourage anyone that feels like wearing on to wear one. That is what they do in Japan.
    I think this is where we're headed. Most people will ditch the mask but you're going to still find some that will take all precautions. I'm still wearing a mask around kids. I know it's very low risk for a vaccinated person to spread to others but it's an added precautions.

Mac4Lyfe

Yes, it has been pretty obvious that is not going to happen. This is flu that spreads like cold. It is impossible to stop. It will have variants and you have to get the shot for your entire life. It will last about six months. COVID is here to stay. It has changed and will change the world.

pologq

It would be interesting if those who are vaccinated were able to get tested and see how many are asymptomatic. I assume if you have symptoms that are bad enough you end up at the doctor/hospital with a test so those get found out or at least most do. It would be who are basically carriers while vaccinated that is interesting.

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19285

Well, at the very least the data being gathered will help answer questions.

My first question will be.

How many people would have died without any vaccines, social distancing, masks, etc.

How many lives would have been saved if there would have been full cooperation from American people, shots taken on time, etc

pologq

Gleyber Torres is also being held out as a result of contact tracing

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

This joke will NEVER end.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

There's no cure for HIV after 50+ years of trials

People here think government gonna create a vaxx for something in 6 months lol

Much like HIV the vaxx reduces the authority of the SARS strain, it doesn't cure you or immune you...much like flu vaxx doesn't guarantee anything either

Yet there are idiots who will still say you need the jab to go to a restaurant or get on a plane even thou you're 100% healthy, just like there are idiots who will wear a mask for the rest of their life under the false premise they'll live longer...

Roger T. Bannon

I think this is where we're headed. Most people will ditch the mask but you're going to still find some that will take all precautions. I'm still wearing a mask around kids. I know it's very low risk for a vaccinated person to spread to others but it's an added precautions.
    The Asians understand that there is significant risk of catching a SARs type virus and they view wearing a mask as a way to stay protected going forward. This is a small minority of people but it is significant enough that when you see video of Japan you will always see someone wearing a mask. That is the future of the world.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post

In the case of HIV, it's much more profitable to treat someone for a lifetime than to find a cure or vaccine. In the case of covid19, it's the other way around and it's much more profitable to sell 3+ billion vaccines a year than develop treatmeants and cures people might need for a week or 2. Big Pharma always finds the most profitable route.

pologq

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post

Much like HIV the vaxx reduces the authority of the SARS strain, it doesn't cure you or immune you...much like flu vaxx doesn't guarantee anything either

Yet there are idiots who will still say you need the jab to go to a restaurant or get on a plane even thou you're 100% healthy, just like there are idiots who will wear a mask for the rest of their life under the false premise they'll live longer...
    do you offer your stable of girls a private covid test?

Mac4Lyfe

The Asians understand that there is significant risk of catching a SARs type virus and they view wearing a mask as a way to stay protected going forward. This is a small minority of people but it is significant enough that when you see video of Japan you will always see someone wearing a mask. That is the future of the world.
    I actually think there's a lot of benefits of wearing a mask. I don't have to smell everyone's breath, which is a huge benefit around these parts. It also helps for people with allergies not to breathe in all the pollen here as well. I've been to Asia and I always thought it was weird to see so many people wear masks. Now, I can see the value, especially places that have poor air quality. I definitely should be wearing a mask while playing blackjack around heavy smokers. I remember blowing my nose after a long day gambling and my snot looked like soot.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    Gleyber Torres is also being held out as a result of contact tracing
    I'm wondering where this is going? If Torres has been vaccinated, should he be held out? The whole contract tracing in sports needs to be revised. Especially college football.

pologq

I'm wondering where this is going? If Torres has been vaccinated, should he be held out? The whole contract tracing in sports needs to be revised. Especially college football.
    that is the question that boone was asked and he did not give a clear answer.