Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

SEC probably plays. This thing hit in spring so impact is actually pretty small compared to what is going to happen in the fall when people starting sneezing and snorting and have the flu, corona and colds all at the same time. Every time someone sneezes people are going to hit the deck like in the old Duck and Cover days of nuclear holocaust.

astrobloke
    astrobloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1642

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    SEC probably plays. This thing hit in spring so impact is actually pretty small compared to what is going to happen in the fall when people starting sneezing and snorting and have the flu, corona and colds all at the same time. Every time someone sneezes people are going to hit the deck like in the old Duck and Cover days of nuclear holocaust.
    unfortunate for stuff like college sport / football.

I think there will be lots of opportunities if you know where to look, where weak bookies are trying to make money.

I have been milking them all month.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11041

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    They have to change OOC schedules then. I dont see it being some play some dont. I see all or nothing

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

Does not sound good right now

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    They have to change OOC schedules then. I dont see it being some play some dont. I see all or nothing
    It will just be conference games. The South Carolina AD said that some conferences may play and some may not. SEC is definitely going to try to do it if they can get away with it. There is no way of knowing if it will be possible at this point. They may try to do the spring thing and not make it.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

If the schools wait on the fans to be in the stands to start the season then the schools will be in the stands with the fans. If any league or school or sports entity is NOT willing to play games without tv and fans then don’t tell me they are trying to play games. Games can be played without tv, been done before, without fans, been there done that too. Play or get off the pot. Don’t wait for tv, fans, and concessions to play games. Play the games or get off the pot. Stop the talk. Play
    Last edited by seaborneq; 05-13-20 at 04:39 PM.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    If the schools wait on the fans to be in the stands to start the season then the schools will be in the stands with the fans. If any league or school or sports entity is NOT willing to play games without tv and fans then don’t tell me they will they are trying to play games. Games can be played without tv, been done before, without fans, been there done that too. Play or get off the pot. Don’t wait for tv, fans, and concessions to play games. Play the games or get off the pot. Stop the talk. Play
    Sure, the vast majority of schools could play football games like you said.

But then they would scrap all other athletic programs, possibly forever, and not be able to play football next year.

Running an athletic program costs money, running a football program costs money.

The profit from most football programs (you know, from the revenue generated by those pesky TV, fans and concessions) feeds the rest of the athletic department.

That is the problem here.

Some conferences already cutting back and even big conference schools, like Minnesota, are worried about the losses. The aftershock will cause ripples across the nation. It's not a good situation.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Sure, the vast majority of schools could play football games like you said.

But then they would scrap all other athletic programs, possibly forever, and not be able to play football next year.

Running an athletic program costs money, running a football program costs money.

The profit from most football programs (you know, from the revenue generated by those pesky TV, fans and concessions) feeds the rest of the athletic department.

That is the problem here.

Some conferences already cutting back and even big conference schools, like Minnesota, are worried about the losses. The aftershock will cause ripples across the nation. It's not a good situation.
    You are aware that some sports are non revenue and also low attendance. The schools ALWAYS act like all scholarships are the same and equal. Either pony up and pay the revenue sports scholarship players or make them ALL play under no tv, fans, or concessions. You wont make me believe that softball, tennis, and equestrian cant be played but football can. Not buying it.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

You are aware that some sports are non revenue and also low attendance....
    Yes, that's why they rely on football revenue to fund those sports.

I think you get it now.

Conferences already cancelling costly post season play, which was relatively new anyway, and budgets being reworked left and right.

There are many examples, another was in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Vikings2 View Post
    https://www.startribune.com/don-t-wa...ges/570343081/

...Mounting revenue loss will force athletic departments to make decisions they fear most. Do they maintain the
    same number of sports but reduce spending ? Or do they make the tough choice of elimination?...

...Best-case scenario is a $14 million projected loss in revenue in 2020-21. The “moderate” scenario calculates a loss of $30 million if sports return in the fall without fans, or if there is a shortened season...
    Football is the most expensive of all, but an investment worth the revenue and profit.

Can't just suit up and play for shits and giggles. That's not gonna fly. There's no such thing as pony up and pay when you are facing losses like this. Even if they cut all football expenses and play, there's still no money generated. That's an issue.

Unless you want the Government to bail them out. With such a dire situation of lost revenue and profit I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up in Washington already.

Or has it?...lol.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Yes, that's why they rely on football revenue to fund those sports.

I think you get it now.

Conferences already cancelling costly post season play, which was relatively new anyway, and budgets being reworked left and right.

There are many examples, another was in this thread...

Football is the most expensive of all, but an investment worth the revenue and profit.

Can't just suit up and play for shits and giggles. That's not gonna fly. There's no such thing as pony up and pay when you are facing losses like this. Even if they cut all football expenses and play, there's still no money generated. That's an issue.

Unless you want the Government to bail them out. With such a dire situation of lost revenue and profit I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up in Washington already.

Or has it?...lol.

If football can be played every one else should play too. Soccer, tennis, equestrian, basketball, baseball, wrestling, track and field, volleyball, golf, softball, rowing, ALL of them. Every sport needs to play. No excuses. Money or no money. Don’t tell me that it’s only ok to play revenue generating sports. Put everyone at risk and lets how it goes. No masks, no gloves, no distancing. Let’s kill everybody to prove a point.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

Any university not willing to play football this fall should be permanently relegated to D2.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    Any university not willing to play football this fall should be permanently relegated to D2.
    Let’s be honest here. They can play football, but they want to play it the fans, tv, and concessions too. Every school and league, even the CFL, could play football today if they wanted to. They don’t want the cake without the icing. Bottom line.

astrobloke

Let’s be honest here. They can play football, but they want to play it the fans, tv, and concessions too. Every school and league, even the CFL, could play football today if they wanted to. They don’t want the cake without the icing. Bottom line.
    its very sad, and frustrating.

cause i love my college football.

homie1975

no. infecting other players during the game and in the locker room is a real problem. listen to fauci talk about "shedding the virus" during a football game.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i am going to sound like trump...

but why is anyone under 50 paranoid about getting covid?........ don't get me wrong, as a 50 year-old i am paranoid about not giving it to an elderly person. but i see comments when people seem really scared about getting it themselves ...... but it seems like for a younger person, you'll have a bad cold and get better in a week or two

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Games with no fans? Maybe.
    Games with a limited number of fans? Maybe.
    Games with full stadiums? Nope.

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

This quote from NCAA officials pretty much says it all as far as college football or any college sports. There isn’t going to be just SEC or Big Ten or any divisions playing if the whole country isn’t on the same page jmo

later

“All of the Division I commissioners and every president that I’ve talked to is in clear agreement: If you don’t have students on campus, you don’t have student-athletes on campus,” Emmert said. “That doesn’t mean it has to be up and running in the full normal model, but you’ve got to treat the health and well-being of the athletes at least as much as the regular students. So if a school doesn’t reopen, then they’re not going to be playing sports. It’s really that simple.”

maxell
    maxell's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18837

Played as planned: No

Some sort of football: Yes

Too much money involved. I hope I'm wrong on the first one!

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

They can't realistically play NCAAF with no fans in the stadium.

Between that and students on campus, those are the core issues.

Playing football without fans is out of the question for the vast majority of not just football programs, but atheltic departments as whole.

They can not afford the loss of money. Not everyone is in the SEC with a TV contract. In fact, very few are in such a postition.

astrobloke

this has now been confirmed, TODAY officially which means my original post was on the money.

SAD!!

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24896

Quote Originally Posted by astrobloke View Post
    this has now been confirmed, TODAY officially which means my original post was on the money.

SAD!!
    So if it's been confirmed, then why hasn't it been confirmed?

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24896

Boy it sure got quiet in here.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

They'll play in the fall, quite possibly with 1/4 fans in attendance

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

The fans still up in the air

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

There will be a version of a season. All of the details, I have no idea.

Assume a lot of kids out of shape and not in touch with coaches. Some kids might not come back for health, family, financial risks. Sloppy play for sure from most schools early on. Most schools have stadium capacity to allow for some students and rich alumni to attend with whatever rules are in place. Traveling will have to be streamlined.

astrobloke

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    The fans still up in the air
    this stay at home and social distancing and corona is another way the dems were trying to steal the election.

its sad, and affecting sports.

I hope when trump gets re-elected in a few months from now, he is going to ruin these fools, democrats are a cult and the reason why people were stuck at home.

Ive been here betting on table tennis, jesus! LOL

Haha.

give me some real action,.....

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

this stay at home and social distancing and corona is another way the dems were trying to steal the election.

its sad, and affecting sports.

I hope when trump gets re-elected in a few months from now, he is going to ruin these fools, democrats are a cult and the reason why people were stuck at home.

Ive been here betting on table tennis, jesus! LOL

Haha.

give me some real action,.....
    So the dems locked down the entire globe for a coin flip election? You are definitely a mouth breather.

astrobloke

coin flip election!?

wake up.

Biden will be lucky to make it to the shower, let alone the NOV elections.

jeez.

homie1975

SEC will find a way to to play because it's deep south and they don't give a phu(kkk)

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

coin flip election!?

wake up.

Biden will be lucky to make it to the shower, let alone the NOV elections.

jeez.
    Truly pathetic you worry so much about US when you aren’t a citizen and never will be. You are a single white female.

astrobloke

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Truly pathetic you worry so much about US when you aren’t a citizen and never will be. You are a single white female.
    you playing the race card now! wow...just wow.

low...

First 123