DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

DOM's Comprehensive College Basketball Preseason TOP 40

College Basketball season tips off in just a few weeks!

We get a treat on opening night with 4 of the AP Top 5 teams playing each other in a pair of exciting Champions Classic games at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night, November 5th.

There are plenty of vanilla rankings out there from 'sports guys' that are actually more focused on NFL, MLB, NCAA football... but I am a die hard hoop head that prioritizes NCAA basketball above all else! So I put together MY top 40 teams in the nation, right here for your entertainment! If you have any questions or comments, please let me hear them!

Michigan State The Spartans are led by senior point guard Cassius Winston, the best player in the country, who will have a good shot at becoming the first college player ever to reach 2,000 points & 1,000 assists. Returning from injury, former McDonald’s All American Jeremy Langford joins the backcourt for his senior season. On the wing, sophomore Aaron Henry has reportedly made the biggest improvement this off-season, and down low junior Xavier Tillman has been drawing NBA interest.
    Kentucky More like 1B to MSU’s 1A, Kentucky is probably the most talented team in the nation. Returning point guard Ashton Hagans was SEC Co-Defensive POY last season. Hagans joins Quickly in a rare UK backcourt with both talent AND experience. Incoming freshmen 5-stars include combo guard Tyrese Maxey and wing Kahlil Whitney who appears dunk contest ready judging by the video of him dunking over three people at practice. Bucknell grad transfer Nate Sestina gives some depth in the frontcourt alongside Kentucky’s top two rebounders & shot-blockers returning in Richards & Montgomery.
    Kansas The Jayhawks will be led by returning point guard Devon Dotson, returning center Udoka Azubuike as a dominant force down low, and legitimate NBA talent Ochai Agbaji in between. Add in Iowa transfer sharp shooter Moss, and they could easily be the best team in the country. Bill Self brought in Snoop Dogg, who in turn brought in strippers – I mean pole dancers – I mean ‘aerial dancers’ – to get the students and fans hype at Allen Fieldhouse… and I’m guessing it worked. I doubt they lose a game at The Phog this season.
    Louisville Jordan Nwora, the preseason ACC POY, leads this team in coach Chris Mack’s second season in Louisville. St. Joe's transfer Kimble will start at the point while David Johnson recovers from injury.
    Florida A solid backcourt with Nembhard & Mann, Va Tech transfer Blackshear down low, and 6’5” SG/SF skilled defender freshman Scottie Lewis make up one of the most complete teams in the country.
    Duke Tre Jones returns his defense and leadership at the point guard position. Freshman Wendell Moore could provide the three point ability Duke was sorely missing last season. Star big man Vernon Carey will join Matthew Hurt in a fresh looking front court.
    Memphis It’s year two for coach Penny Hardaway, with almost all freshmen. James Wiseman, Precious Achiuwa, and D.J. Jeffries are all 5-star talented freshmen in front court, then add in former Duke commit Boogie Ellis in the backcourt. The only returning experience on the team is actually at PG position. If this combination of freshmen talent wore “Duke” or “Kentucky” on their jerseys, most people would have them ranked top 3 in the nation. Let’s see if Penny can get the most out of this unreal collection of talent.
    Gonzaga Concerns around the Killian Tillie injury is preventing the Zags from being in my top 5. Texas A&M transfer PG Admon Gilder should be a nice fit here, with Kispert back in action and talented incoming freshman Timme down low.
    Maryland Terps will be led by veteran PG Anthony Cowan. Smith, Ayala & Wiggins are all great on the wings. A freshmen frontcourt is the main question mark.
    UNC Freshman PG Cole Anthony is such a stud – he may honestly be the best player in country. He plays both ways and earned MVP honors in the McDonald’s All-American game this summer. UNC lost a ton of pieces though, and now will be without injured Anthony Harris, Jeremiah Francis & Sterling Manley to start season.
    Seton Hall Pirates return 4 starters including Myles Powell, the preseason Big East POY.
    Ohio State FSU transfer CJ Walker is eligible and will join freshman PG Carton in the backcourt. The returning Wesson brothers make this a much underrated team right now.
    Villanova Freshman phenom Bryan Antoine – an explosive 6’5” SG – is still recovering from shoulder surgery and has yet to practice since high school. Coach Jay Wright is even considering redshirting him. If Antoine were healthy I would definitely have Nova in the top 10.
    Xavier I expect big things in year 2 for coach Travis Steele. X returns Goodin, Marshall, Scruggs & Jones.
    Wisconsin Badgers lost Ethan can’t-make-a-free-throw Happ, but return a backcourt of Trice & Davidson, Reuvers down low, and Kobe King who is ready to explode. Although Happ was dominant, this season’s Wisconsin team should be a great example of ‘addition by subtraction’.
    Arizona A pair of freshmen 5-stars in Nico Mannion at the point, who can distribute or dominate himself, and Josh Green on the wing make this a very talented and entertaining squad.
    Oregon Ducks return the bookends of last season's Sweet 16 lineup in PG Pritchard and C Okoro. This season they welcome incoming freshmen talent and UNLV transfer forward Juiston.
    Utah State Return 6/7 top players, including Merrill & Queta.
    Georgetown
    Really good backcourt returns with last season's Big East Freshman of the Year James Akinjo and YouTube leaping sensation Mac McClung. Omer Yurtseven is now eligible, an 7-foot NBA prospect who transferred from NC State as a work in progress and has now had a year and a half to learn from Patrick Ewing.
    Virginia The ‘Hoos not only lost their top three scorers from last season’s championship squad – they lost their best three players on campus since Malcolm Brogdon. With Tony Bennett coaching, UVA should still compete in the ACC, but I don’t expect another deep March run. UVA returns PG Kihei Clark, Mamadi Diakite, Braxton Key, and bring in two top 100 freshmen.
    Michigan Year 1 for coach Juwan Howard is a major question mark for me, but he sure looked smart when he hired longtime St Joe's coach Phil Martelli as an assistant. Wolverines return senior PG Simpson, Livers, and 7-footer Teske. Brooks, Wagner incoming. Under coach John Beilein, this would have been a top 15 team.
    Marquette The Hauser bros transferring out will hurt a lot. But the best scorer in the nation, Markus Howard, returns 25 PPG, 40% from 3, and his multiple 50+ point games.
    VCU Last year’s A-10 champs returns 5 seniors, led by Evans at PG. They play excellent defense, but are just awful at 3-point shooting. VCU should battle Dayton & Davidson in the A-10.
    Auburn Frontcourt depth in McLemore, Purifoy & Wiley return from last year’s Final Four squad. This is a tough team with length, but they’ll need to find shooting somewhere.
    Washington Say hello to two 5-star freshmen Stewart & McDaniels down low. The Huskies' lengthy 2-3 zone defense will be tough to beat, but questions remain on offense with shooting - and scoring.
    Cincinnati
    Purdue
    Texas Tech
    Illinois
    Colorado
    Tennessee
    LSU
    Baylor
    Saint Mary's
    Houston
    Iowa State
    Florida St.
    Providence
    Davidson
    NC State
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave DOM_Toretto 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

johnnygooble gave DOM_Toretto 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

Awesome stuff Dom.

Think you're low on Duke.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by jts1207 View Post
    Awesome stuff Dom.

Think you're low on Duke.
    Thanks JT! I definitely could be too low on Duke, it all depends on how these freshman are. They won’t be Zion/R.J./Cam, but can they be close?

TonyPhizzle
    TonyPhizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

Huge MSU fan here but no way we are #1 at ANY point in the season. Cassius Winston BEST played in the country is comical. Cole Anthony is the real deal!

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7684

Good luck man

BigOrange
    BigOrange's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5417

Tn #31 lol.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

where is georgia???

top 10 recruiting class with the #1 overall

sosawestbrook
    sosawestbrook's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4486

Cassius winston may get all the accolades and attention, but Markus howard is the best player in the country.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by TonyPhizzle View Post
    Huge MSU fan here but no way we are #1 at ANY point in the season. Cassius Winston BEST played in the country is comical. Cole Anthony is the real deal!
    Tony I think you’re way off here buddy, don’t let our pathetic football team bring down your expectations for the hoops team! Michigan State WILL be the #1 team in the nation on November 5th - I guarantee it.

As for Cassius Winston, CBS does an annual preseason coaches poll of 100+ coaches on who the best player in the country and 50% picked Winston this year - that was actually the highest margin ever. Other players receiving votes included Marcus Howard, Cole Anthony, James Wiseman, Anthony Edwards, Myles Powell. I agree with you though that Cole Anthony is a stud and could easily end up taking that title!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Tremendous work but when it comes down to it only a few teams have a chance

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Good stuff DOM...........bol this season.!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Bet older teams

Good tip

mackave
    mackave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8417

great writeup, thanks dom

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    Tn #31 lol.
    Too high, or too low? What do you think?

Tennessee lost its best 3 players to the draft - Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield & Jordan Bone. But the Vols return a good backcourt with 5th year senior PG Lamonte Turner and senior Jordan Bowden. They add a 5-star freshman Josiah James.

I have them 4th in the SEC but I could see them finishing anywhere in the 3-7 range.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20358

All I know is I'm really excited about UW. Two big time freshman, decent chance Stewart is the best freshman in this class. They also get Quade Green transferring in, so they are basically adding three, five star kids. UW has always had talent, but now we actually have a great coach.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Love this time of year!!!

I’m sure this a good read, I’ll check it out later.,

Gl this season DOM!

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

cfl season is zooming by cant wait for some college bball

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    Tony I think you’re way off here buddy, don’t let our pathetic football team bring down your expectations for the hoops team! Michigan State WILL be the #1 team in the nation on November 5th - I guarantee it.

As for Cassius Winston, CBS does an annual preseason coaches poll of 100+ coaches on who the best player in the country and 50% picked Winston this year - that was actually the highest margin ever. Other players receiving votes included Marcus Howard, Cole Anthony, James Wiseman, Anthony Edwards, Myles Powell. I agree with you though that Cole Anthony is a stud and could easily end up taking that title!
    was right there with u last yr with how good winston is he's so skilled fundamentally sound and makes all the right plays he's just not super quick and not the most athletic in the world and that is prob what people notice and think he's not that good or something. he does a lot of things. good defender too.
    Last edited by jtoler; 10-16-19 at 01:28 PM.

Chili_Powder
    Chili_Powder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Hello Stewart and McDaniels, nice to meet you.
    Points Awarded:

DOM_Toretto gave Chili_Powder 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DOM_Toretto gave Chili_Powder 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

butterpecan
    butterpecan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 486

really impressive domtorreto.

UNC recruiting has been amazing, and they still may get five star Ziaire Williams. Late night with Roy showcases players, good times this year for Unc

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by butterpecan View Post
    really impressive domtorreto.

UNC recruiting has been amazing, and they still may get five star Ziaire Williams. Late night with Roy showcases players, good times this year for Unc

Unc, duke, etc etc always get the top players.

jolyolyolyman
    jolyolyolyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2144

Very solid read, thanks for your input Dom as we gear up for another season. Think Maryland will make a bunch of noise this year; love their guard play. Davidson Wildcats have some interesting pieces coming back. Looking forward to that early season tilt with Auburn. Man, I’m pumped!

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Little High on the Buckeyes IMO....while good...any team below them can beat them on any night....

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Little High on the Buckeyes IMO....while good...any team below them can beat them on any night....
    You’re definitely right, I’m much higher on OSU than anyone else outside the state of Ohio. It comes down to three things for me:
    -Coach - I like Chris Holtmann, who won Big Ten Coach of the Year two seasons ago.
    -Star - I’m counting on Kaleb Wesson making a Keita Bates-Diop type of leap forward this year.
    -Talent - Ohio State brings in the best recruiting class in the Big Ten.
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave DOM_Toretto 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

2daBank

When do hoops start DOM?

2daBank

Never mind. Sorry, hadn’t actually read post yet!!

2daBank

Good read bud. Damn, Memphis paying players huh? I liked them under penny last year, had no idea they added so much talent! Should be a fun team.,

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Is Kansas going to be on probation?

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

Roy back recruiting like a pimp

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20358

Quote Originally Posted by Chili_Powder View Post
    Hello Stewart and McDaniels, nice to meet you.
    Crazy duo. If this were Kansas or UNC you wouldn’t stop hearing about them. I really do think Stewart will be the best freshman this season.

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Texas Tech being slept on again

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    I like TT

Where you got them?

survive
    and advance

Quote Originally Posted by jts1207 View Post
    I like TT

Where you got them?
    Probably in the 10-15 range. I was just speaking in general that I think they’re being underrated, not critiquing dom’s rankings as a disclaimer

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    I may be overrating Jarrett Culver but I think he was one of the best to ever play there, and it may take a while for them to adjust to life without him. I am a BIG fan of coach Chris Beard though!

Just an FYI - I know it’s only ‘preseason’ - but Texas Tech lost a charity game to UTEP last week by double digits. Doesn’t mean too much but it should be a bit concerning for TTU fans.

survive
    and advance

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    I may be overrating Jarrett Culver but I think he was one of the best to ever play there, and it may take a while for them to adjust to life without him. I am a BIG fan of coach Chris Beard though!

Just an FYI - I know it’s only ‘preseason’ - but Texas Tech lost a charity game to UTEP last week by double digits. Doesn’t mean too much but it should be a bit concerning for TTU fans.
    Definitely fair. Replacing Culver and Owens are huge tasks. One thing to keep in mind- didn’t we think the same thing heading into last season after they lost Keenan Evans and Zaire Smith? On paper, this is Beard’s most talented team. I guess I’m just putting a lot of faith in Beard here to keep progressing his program

12 Last