MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Espn "go zone"

Unreal. That green line is literally 20 feet off 1st. I could steal from there. Average MLB lead from 1st not more than 12 feet max.

ESPN just ridiculous

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Harder to stEal bases than the Rickey Henderson Vince Coleman days

Otis Nixon

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Harder to stEal bases than the Rickey Henderson Vince Coleman days

Otis Nixon
    Harder to steal? Why? Teams just don’t try all that much cause they all wanna stand around and wait for a jack..

cardinals have a insanely high success rate this year, has looked pretty damn easy for them, pitchers are slow to the plate and don’t pay that much attention to the runners. Funny tho, they among the league leaders and as a team prob not gonna swipe more than Coleman did himself a few years!!!

Otters27

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Harder to steal? Why? Teams just don’t try all that much cause they all wanna stand around and wait for a jack..

cardinals have a insanely high success rate this year, has looked pretty damn easy for them, pitchers are slow to the plate and don’t pay that much attention to the runners. Funny tho, they among the league leaders and as a team prob not gonna swipe more than Coleman did himself a few years!!!
    Catchers have better arm and yes teams don't want to run out of innings because they are looking to get 3 run jacks

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Catchers have better arm and yes teams don't want to run out of innings because they are looking to get 3 run jacks
    There were some catchers w great arms all thru my lifetime. Not sure I’d say they better now than 20 years ago? Pudge had a cannon. Obviously teams run way less but don’t think it any harder to steal now than in prior eras.

Otters27

All arms in MLB are stronger. Avg guy throwing 97

93-94 is the new 90

2daBank

But are they as accurate? Accuracy and quick release is as important as arm stregth in throwing out runners imo. Plus pitchers play a big role in holding base runners. Doesn’t matter how good the catcher is if guys are getting great jumps and/or a pitcher is slow to the plate. Not sure base runners had the info on pitchers 20 years ago that they have now? Now days they know how slow/fast every pitcher is to the plate!!

2daBank

Pitch framing and game calling are more sought after/emphasized qualities these days as stealing bases is no longer a huge part of the game.

MinnesotaFats

I think catchers snap times are slower

Catchers tall and lean today, need to hit

Sacrifice D

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    I think catchers snap times are slower

Catchers tall and lean today, need to hit

Sacrifice D
    Agree.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

I was a catcher back in the day.
    Pudge was the best I saw.
    Munson died when I was a kid but I remember he had a great arm. Bench too.
    Yaddy Molina as all you Red Bird fans know could throw, and Matheny too.
    People don't give him enough credit but in his early days when he was a regular you have to mention Mauer.

My guy Sal Perez is one of the best I've ever seen when it comes to the exchange.
    The exchange is how long it takes a catcher to get the ball out of the mitt and into the throwing arm.
    Big reason why my team won was Perez (and Moose, and Cain, and A-Gor, and Hosmer, and Cueto, and the three headed monster of Holland, and Herrera, and Wade Davis............)

How good is Sal Perez?
    My favorites are the ones at the 02:03 mark and 03.40 mark (watch how pumped he is, he takes great pride in his catching) I can watch this all day.
    God bless Salvy!!!

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post

Unreal. That green line is literally 20 feet off 1st. I could steal from there. Average MLB lead from 1st not more than 12 feet max.

ESPN just ridiculous
    Sutcliffe was in charge of the graphics that night.

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I was a catcher back in the day.
    Pudge was the best I saw.
    Munson died when I was a kid but I remember he had a great arm. Bench too.
    Yaddy Molina as all you Red Bird fans know could throw, and Matheny too.
    People don't give him enough credit but in his early days when he was a regular you have to mention Mauer.

My guy Sal Perez is one of the best I've ever seen when it comes to the exchange.
    The exchange is how long it takes a catcher to get the ball out of the mitt and into the throwing arm.
    Big reason why my team won was Perez (and Moose, and Cain, and A-Gor, and Hosmer, and Cueto, and the three headed monster of Holland, and Herrera, and Wade Davis............)

How good is Sal Perez?
    My favorites are the ones at the 02:03 mark and 03.40 mark (watch how pumped he is, he takes great pride in his catching) I can watch this all day.
    God bless Salvy!!!

Sal twice the catcher Mauer ever was. I hope his elbow comes back strong....kid can mash a bit as well!

Joe was a good defensive catcher overall but he never made runners scared. Perez literally feels like a shark stalking runners out there. It is fun to watch.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

Kenny Lofton is probably happy he is retired