arie1985
    arie1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3140

I placed a Cricket bet and it WON despite the match being TIED! Why?

There was a Cricket match that was over about 20 minutes ago between India and Afghanistan.

I placed a bet on India to win (risking 100 mBTC to win 80 mBTC i.e. risking around $650 to win $520)

The match was TIED 252-252, I saw in BetFair the odds dropped on India to 1.1 or even less after the match was TIED ... my question is WHY? Why India is considered to be the "Winner" here and why the bets were not refunded instead?

Can anyone who understands a little bit in Cricket please explain?

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

You got lucky is the only thing I can think of. I don't understand the odds you got though there's no way India would of been that price so my guess is you bet something else.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Quote Originally Posted by arie1985 View Post
    There was a Cricket match that was over about 20 minutes ago between India and Afghanistan.

I placed a bet on India to win (risking 100 mBTC to win 80 mBTC i.e. risking around $650 to win $520)

The match was TIED 252-252, I saw in BetFair the odds dropped on India to 1.1 or even less after the match was TIED ... my question is WHY? Why India is considered to be the "Winner" here and why the bets were not refunded instead?

Can anyone who understands a little bit in Cricket please explain?
    I can't see any reason it isn't a Void if it was the "Match Odds" market you bet.

Those Asia Cup matches have their own Tie Match market seperately.

Did you definitely bet the main Match Odds market?

Optional

From the Pakistan v Bangladesh game coming up;

Match Odds - Rules
    Event Start Time
    26 September 2018, 21:30
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

For further information please see Rules & Regs.

Who will win this match? At the start of scheduled play all unmatched bets will be cancelled and this market will be turned in-play. This market will not be actively managed therefore it is the responsibility of all customers to manage their own positions. If scores (including a derived target score using the Duckworth Lewis method) are deemed tied at the completion of both innings then all bets on the Match Odds market will be void. Please note there is a separate Tied Match market available for this game. For the avoidance of doubt, if scores are tied at the completion of both innings then any tie breaker that may be used to determine a winner including, but not limited to, bowl outs, Super Overs, one-over eliminators, losing fewer wickets, run rates, coin toss, higher group position does not count for the purposes of this market.

arie1985

Quote Originally Posted by Mase of Base View Post
    You got lucky is the only thing I can think of. I don't understand the odds you got though there's no way India would of been that price so my guess is you bet something else.
    I placed this bet in live when India had 225 (after Afghanistan had 252)

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Did you definitely bet the main Match Odds market?
    Yes, I have, also in BetFair it looked like India was the "Winner" and I don't understand why.

arie1985

For the avoidance of doubt, if scores are tied at the completion of both innings then any tie breaker that may be used to determine a winner including, but not limited to, bowl outs, Super Overs, one-over eliminators, losing fewer wickets, run rates, coin toss, higher group position does not count for the purposes of this market.
    Maybe this is the key, but what was it in practice?
    Does anyone know?!

Optional

Does anyone know?!

That's saying if the tournament had a tie breaker for advancement, it would NOT affect betting. So it is not the answer.

You definitely got paid winnings? It's not just your stake returned is it?

I'd be shocked if a wrong grading would last this long on Betfair as the other side would be complaining by now. So there must be an explanation we are missing.

Mase of Base

Does anyone know?!

Was pool play so no 'super over' which is additional over to find a winner. In one day cricket (50 overs) which this was they have draws unless it's a knock competition. 20 over cricket has a super over in all leagues as far as I'm aware.

Live bet makes sense, was a good bet imo I would of backed India at that stage also. Nice you got paid! But seems a mistake wouldn't be surprised to see that get reversed hopefully to a push if it does.

arie1985

That's saying if the tournament had a tie breaker for advancement, it would NOT affect betting. So it is not the answer.

You definitely got paid winnings? It's not just your stake returned is it?

I'd be shocked if a wrong grading would last this long on Betfair as the other side would be complaining by now. So there must be an explanation we are missing.
    The grading is still the same, BetFair had a similar grading ... I still cannot find why and the more time that will go by - then the harder it will become people to analyze and explain this.

I don't get it.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20457

Women's cricket. I could really start liking this sport.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

theyll fix it

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

If you're absolutely sure you placed your bet solely on the match result then I have no clue what happened either. I've spent some time looking and I couldn't find one instance where you should win. Strange that Betfair hasn't corrected it yet at least.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    If you're absolutely sure you placed your bet solely on the match result then I have no clue what happened either. I've spent some time looking and I couldn't find one instance where you should win. Strange that Betfair hasn't corrected it yet at least.
    oh they always find a way to fix it! lol

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18977

I don't bet live so i'm just guessing. Any chance it was a handicap bet? India +0.5?

Mase of Base

Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    I don't bet live so i'm just guessing. Any chance it was a handicap bet? India +0.5?

kind of my thought as well as this has gone past the point of getting a ticket reversed considering the action that would of been on this game with India involved, they love their cricket and and don't mind a bet!

Longest one has taken me was a day in a basketball game, I was watching and lost the total by half a point but noticed I got paid out. Checked flashscore which books use I guess for scores and they messed up their scoring (called a 3 a 2). Reversed it the next day.

arie1985

Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    No, the bet was on a winner (incl. Super Over) which wasn't in the match (the Super Over).

Please see here:

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en...ghanistan.html

William Hill settled this match as Afghanistan (3/1) is the winner - what's going on?!

arie1985

From William Hill:

Optional

No, the bet was on a winner (incl. Super Over) which wasn't in the match (the Super Over).

Please see here:

William Hill settled this match as Afghanistan (3/1) is the winner - what's going on?!
    Well this thread was a total waste of time.

Thought you were talking about a betfair bet.

How could you start a thread asking about bet rules and not mention the book or post the rules?

Have you asked Williamhill?

What did they say?

arie1985

Well this thread was a total waste of time.

Thought you were talking about a betfair bet.

How could you start a thread asking about bet rules and not mention the book or post the rules?

Have you asked Williamhill?

What did they say?

The bet was placed with Sportsbet.io - no one asked me which bookmaker I used until now!
    I just mentioned Sportsbet.io and BetFair graded the same result whilst William Hill graded the other team!

Mase of Base

Not sure on Will Hill's rules some books grade a draw as win half your stake ie put 1 on a team to win at 2.00 you'll get 0.5 on it instead.

Betfair you can lay a side not sure if that has anything to do with it.

arie1985

Quote Originally Posted by Mase of Base View Post
    Not sure on Will Hill's rules some books grade a draw as win half your stake ie put 1 on a team to win at 2.00 you'll get 0.5 on it instead.

Betfair you can lay a side not sure if that has anything to do with it.
    Look, I already got my winnings from this to my Bitcoin wallet, this is not a 50% winning bet, take a look yourself at my screenshots:

arie1985

Since no one could explain this to me, I've now reached out to Sportsbet.io asking them to clarify this, I'll keep you posted as soon as I hear back.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.

Please see here:

William Hill cricket rules 2 ii)

" Subject to section a)i), when no price is offered for the tie and the official result is a tie any means introduced by the official governing body to determine a winner will count i.e. 'bowl off', 'super over' etc. Super overs and bowl offs will not count for the settlement of any other market. If after this the result is still a tie and no other means are introduced by the official governing body to determine a winner, dead heat rules apply."

William Hill grade the bet as a dead-heat, which is normal and accepted in the UK, but it's an anathema to US gamblers who are used to ties/draws being settled as a push. William Hill would settle the bet as half the stake winning at the odds taken, and half the stake losing. If Afghanistan were +700 a tie would show as +300 for the whole bet.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.

Sportsbet.io's rules indicate the bet should be settled as a dead-heat if no tie option was available. They have odds on tomorrow's game between India and Bangladesh which does not mention a tie on the winner market, (India 22/100, Bangladesh 350/100). However, the option of a tie at +1600 appears 3/4 of the way down through the props bets. It invites trouble.

arie1985

SportsBet.io replied to me saying they cannot disclose any information but my winnings are mine to keep.
    According to their rules the bet was settled correctly.

Hey, I'm not complaining - but find it extremely weeeeird!

That's it, I have no more info on this.

If anyone can shed more light on this - feel free.

Thanks.