VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20145

Pac-12 passes rule that 5-7 teams can't go to bowl games, even with APR score

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ith-apr-score/

Five teams have played in bowl games with 5-7 regular season records since 2015 thanks to high Academic Progress Ratings (APR) scores, but none have been from the Pac-12. The conference won't be sending any in the future, either.
    According to the Associated Press, the presidents of the conference passed a rule that prevents teams with 5-7 records from going to bowl games even if their APR score would qualify them under the new legislation.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25256

Good rule, but also, way too many bowls nowadays.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3177

Need the Prolific amount of Bowls for gambling purposes Funny. Let it Ride.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Kinda dumb. That’s like the nfc west signing an agreement that 8-8 teams won’t make the playoffs

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Good for the Pac 12. The ridiculous amount of Bowl games hurts the sport. By time the good Bowl Games roll around, many fans have lost interest. Others have lost their alleged bankroll. No team that cannot win at least half of their games should be allowed into a bowl game.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

I don't see a lot of downside to the smaller bowl games. Gives Group of 5 conferences more to play for, and unless they get a bad draw logistically (UConn going to the Hawaii Bowl or something like that), there's usually extra money for the program to be gained. For Power 5 conferences, it gives them something to play for two, to a lesser degree. Handicapping is hard enough without trying to figure out motivation on top of everything else. Plus, we love betting them, and it gives us a ton of CFB to watch in late December, so who cares?

The 5-7 thing I don't care too much about. It's a pretty rare thing anyway IIRC.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

great rule

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    I don't see a lot of downside to the smaller bowl games. Gives Group of 5 conferences more to play for, and unless they get a bad draw logistically (UConn going to the Hawaii Bowl or something like that), there's usually extra money for the program to be gained. For Power 5 conferences, it gives them something to play for two, to a lesser degree. Handicapping is hard enough without trying to figure out motivation on top of everything else. Plus, we love betting them, and it gives us a ton of CFB to watch in late December, so who cares?

The 5-7 thing I don't care too much about. It's a pretty rare thing anyway IIRC.
    Rarely do programs make money by participating in Bowl Games. Sometimes programs even lose money participating in the Top 6 Bowl Games.

inter1097
    inter1097's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5861

What if more follow suit, and all the 5-7 teams are in conferences that won't let them in? some bumfuk 4-8 team might get a bowl game lol

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

The solution is less bowl games. I don’t need to watch San Jose State vs Hamburger Tech in the Bahamas bowl in from of 35 people

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    The solution is less bowl games. I don’t need to watch San Jose State vs Hamburger Tech in the Bahamas bowl in from of 35 people
    I could not agree more. But the NCAA/ESPN, in their utter stupidity, decided to add games. I guess they can add teams like Liberty U to give more teams a chance to win 6 games. In the past 6 years, the NCAA has promoted App State, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, the above mentioned Liberty, Old Dominion, South Alabama, Texas State, UMass, UTSA, and allowed UAB back in. That adds up to 11 teams (not counting UAB). The only team they have lost is Idaho. I guess they figure that a bunch of 5-7 teams can add on a win scheduling those teams App. State had as many FBC wins last season (9) as Charlotte and Coastal Carolina have had added up in their careers in the FBS.

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

I don't even like 6-6 teams. Let's at least have a winning record.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 271

Are you all kidding? The more bowl games, the more betting. Bring on the AAF and XFL also. Football betting year round is going to be paradise!