Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

Is Purdue A Legitimate Title Contender?

Haven't made it to the Final Four since 1980. Really deep team this year.

There is nobody in college basketball like No. 3 Purdue, and while that doesn’t guarantee Purdue a damn thing, it will make for a fascinating March that could extend into April, what with the Final Four being played March 31-April 2 in San Antonio. Nobody in college basketball seems to have the depth and breadth of offensive weaponry of Purdue, and for damn sure nobody has a weapon like Isaac Haas, a blunt-force basketball instrument who scored 24 points in 20 minutes against Michigan, adding six rebounds, three blocked shots and three assists.

bonzaii
    bonzaii's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 287

Could finally be the year the Big10 get off the schneid and wins it all this year. Purdue is definitely a title contender but I like Michigan St even more. They are a deeper team with more talent. I do really like Purdue though with Haas the monster down low, Carsen Edwards who can completely light it up all over the court, Mathias, great defender and good outside shooter, and Vince Edwards there do it all guy who can score inside and outside. If there shots keep falling from deep there going to be real hard to beat, but I'm just not sure they will win it all though. They have a great starting lineup but there bench is just so so.
    Last edited by bonzaii; 01-28-18 at 07:05 PM.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

this year it could be just quite a few teams, that get hot at the right time and avoid injuries

so much parity

magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Purdue is for real. MSU looks better on paper, but the game is not played on paper. It is almost February and Purdue is still the best in the B10

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

No

Too soft

Too white

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10838

YesHaas

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    No

Too soft

Too white
    Correct

💡

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

struggle against some bad teams
    very slow

easy out on a neutral court

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Off course a contender but all matchups

i would like too see them do a better job on the O Glass , along with getting to line more

they have too much strength w/ that experience to be a finesse team

they are soft, for example uva would be a night mare matchup

coach painter is outstanding

they ain’t gonna cut down the nets

but yes they are a contender

redlily
    redlily's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Purdue who?

magaman
    Update your status

Purdue #3 in sagarin rankings. Anybody who thinks they do not belong is just being stupid

magaman
    Update your status

Check that - I just looked they moved up to #2 on Sagarin

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Matt painter is still the coach so I doubt it

Dilo
    Big bets win big money
    Dilo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 953

Is it luck, or do they have good athletes?

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status
    CTOWNsCAPPIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

#3 on Kenpom but I have no faith in them winning it all. Elite 8 max for me.

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    struggle against some bad teams
    very slow

easy out on a neutral court
    So, JJ, is right on top of this Big-team. I am surprised you even take the time to study this, usually losing team, until mid/late March comes?
    Please inform me and answer these questions?
    1. Shot-blocking power?
    2. Rebounding power?
    3. Hight where it counts; around the boards?

Thanks JJ. Nice to see you doing your homework and not by use a crystal ball as many member's have suggested.

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Rhode Island is better

magaman
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    So, JJ, is right on top of this Big-team. I am surprised you even take the time to study this, usually losing team, until mid/late March comes?
    Please inform me and answer these questions?
    1. Shot-blocking power?
    2. Rebounding power?
    3. Hight where it counts; around the boards?

Thanks JJ. Nice to see you doing your homework and not by use a crystal ball as many member's have suggested.
    LMAO - unless the game has changed profoundly... I still think that you win if you score more points than the opponent. That is something that Purdue has done to the overall record of 21-2 while going 4-1 vs the top 25 and also 10-0 in the Big Ten.

But you are probably right... their stats are not good enough, it's all a mirage.

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    Matt painter is still the coach so I doubt it
    trinity gets it

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

nope they will blow it

and the young teams will get better as we get closer to march as well.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Ive seen them have a team like this quite a few times going back to like 2010. Elite 8 about the farthest maybe, there will be a game where the 3's arnt falling then what.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20358

Their style of play isn't what cuts down the nets. Although I do like them more this season than last. Trying to play two big posts in Haas and Swannegan just won't get it done in the tourney. The tourney is all about the guards, and Purdue does have some great guards and wings.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

It all bout draw in tourney, they absolutely could make a deep run into the final 4.

incredibly well constructed team with some excellent shooters surrounding haas and Edwards (who himself is a excellent shooter), very tough to defend cause their perimeter players can all make you pay for doubling the post. Another thing, their bigs are excellent ft shooters which rare. Given the right draw I'd have no problem advancing them deep on my bracket. Of course they could also end up in a region with a hot 4-5 seed and go down in the sweet 16, that everyone tho.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

They’re really good. Both Edwards kids are good players. Haas is a monster inside. I’d like to see them make a run this year. They’ve been building toward this for about 3 years now.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Their style of play isn't what cuts down the nets. Although I do like them more this season than last. Trying to play two big posts in Haas and Swannegan just won't get it done in the tourney. The tourney is all about the guards, and Purdue does have some great guards and wings.
    Yea guards do tend to rule the tourney but the fact Purdue has so many good shooters surrounding those bigs it makes them what I think be a tough out. I mean damn, they shooting 46% from 3 in big10 play, as a team!!

ChiLLx
    ChiLLx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9184

Committee will give them an impossible path in tourney (Even for a 1 seed) just like they do for teams that aren't full of stars or marketable

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by ChiLLx View Post
    Committee will give them an impossible path in tourney (Even for a 1 seed) just like they do for teams that aren't full of stars or marketable
    That really what it comes down to. Most years there easily 10-12 teams who have the goods to be final 4 teams, just depends on seeding and draw most the time. Look at what they have done to shockers a few years putting them in nightmare loaded regions.

GT21Megatron
    GT21Megatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6199

Guard play will always make a run in the Tourney......shooting also....Keep an eye on Florida and Xavier also. I like them making runs in the dance....Purdue is the best they have been since I can remember

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

Boilermakers love to choke in the tournament. Its their calling card.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by GT21Megatron View Post
    Guard play will always make a run in the Tourney......shooting also....Keep an eye on Florida and Xavier also. I like them making runs in the dance....Purdue is the best they have been since I can remember
    Purdue straight stroking it from deep this year. 46% as a team in big 10 play, 5 guys shooting well over 40% on the season. That makes their bigs even harder to deal with cause you really can't double without paying the price. 14th best assist rate in country as well.

I could overlook Gators lack of size but their perimeter d been piss poor to boot. They can play with anyone any given night but some things they do make me think they could be in for a early exit. But again so hard to say before brackets come out cause seeding/matchups are everything.

Still not sure how I feel bout Xavier, their interior d looks weak to me at times. Certainly have scoring ability tho.

GT21Megatron
    GT21Megatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6199

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue77 View Post
    Boilermakers love to choke in the tournament. Its their calling card.
    Them Baylor and GTown have to be the biggest disappointments past decade in the dance right?

Forearm Shiver
    Forearm Shiver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 558

Duke and Villanova are better offensively, and Virginia is better defensively. But nobody is better at both than Purdue. I like balance in the tournament as one dimensional teams eventually get shut down.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Forearm Shiver View Post
    Duke and Villanova are better offensively, and Virginia is better defensively. But nobody is better at both than Purdue.
    That fair, they do both really well. They 3rd in adj offense behind the 2 you speak of, those 2 are 33rd and 51st respectively in adj defensive efficiency while Purdue is 7th!! We all know the story with uva, someone gonna hit shots and take them out of their game, they not good when forced to play outside their comfort zone.

I believe sparty the only other team that in top 10 both offensively and defensively.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23972

Not sure a team can go anywhere with Painter.

12 Last