playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

Thanks a lot Hurricane Harvey! One car has water damage and some water got into house

Could be much worse though! People living in apartment complexes on the first floor are out of a place to live.

This is the highest that water has ever reached our house except for Hurricane IKE. One of the announcers on ABC said the other day that this is the first Hurricane to hit Texas in 18 years. Well obviously that guy is really new to weather because we had HUGE storms in 2007 in Hurricane Rita and the next year Hurricane IKE. Around my hometown, both of those Hurricanes were much worse than Harvey.

But only about an inch of water into the house since we had a few sandbags to protect from flooding. One bad thing about this storm in Houston is that most people dont have Flood insurance. They have Windstorm insurance but the wind didnt cause any of the problems in my city or Houston

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Flood Insurance is really expensive.... even here in Michigan.

Was talking to a friend of mine who's an insurance adjustor

He said... only way you're covered... if the wind blew your roof off.... causing water to leak inside the home. Otherwise... he isn't covering anyone in regards to the Hurricane. What a guy
    Last edited by TheMoneyShot; 08-28-17 at 11:42 PM.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Quote Originally Posted by playersonly69 View Post
    But only about an inch of water into the house since we had a few sandbags to protect from flooding. One bad thing about this storm in Houston is that most people dont have Flood insurance. They have Windstorm insurance but the wind didnt cause any of the problems in my city or Houston
    How much water damage to your car? Hopefully it didn't get in the electrical work because you will have to total that car out.

We'll probably see a shitload of cars for sale for pennies after this.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11790

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

He said... only way you're covered... if the wind blew your roof off.... causing water to leak inside the home. Otherwise... he isn't covering anyone in regards to the Hurricane. What a guy
    I was considering moving and buying a house near the beach in Dustin, Florida.. Everything was so cheap, no State taxes, etc.. Then I priced the flood and hurricane insurance premiums. Yipes!!!! That wasn't the deal breaker though, the heat and humidity were.. Also I saw sharks in the water and no waves.. Spoiled here So Cal..

Still not ruling out a Florida coast move in ten years or so when I get older...

Wheatgrass
    Wheatgrass's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 728

florida beaches are way better then ca

the water is 15 degrees warmer and the waves are better. not sure what you saw

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Or if you can prove that water came in through windows, fallen trees or the roof. There's a lot of multi-million dollar homes here that are flooded out in areas that never flooded and most likely didn't have flood insurance. It's going to be very curious to see if they are compensated/made whole. The city has over 500,000 homes with flood insurance, so that is a very high number.

My flood insurance is over $3k/year. It's absolutely insane and more than half of my homeowners. Texas has the 3rd highest insurance rates in the country next to Louisiana and Florida. The insurance companies always win. Disaster hits and they just raise rates.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatgrass View Post
    florida beaches are way better then ca

the water is 15 degrees warmer and the waves are better. not sure what you saw
    Correct about everything but the waves.. Southern California beaches for waves pump year round in many spots up and down the coast..

Florida is a lake most of the time from top to bottom.. Beaches are way nicer in Florida for sure though when it comes to white sands, water temps, clear waters.. I agree...

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    I was considering moving and buying a house near the beach in Dustin, Florida.. Everything was so cheap, no State taxes, etc.. Then I priced the flood and hurricane insurance premiums. Yipes!!!! That wasn't the deal breaker though, the heat and humidity were.. Also I saw sharks in the water and no waves.. Spoiled here So Cal..
    Still not ruling out a Florida coast move in ten years or so when I get older...
    Nothing beats Southern California weather. Nothing... But it comes at a premium.

Just because you don't see sharks in So Cal doesn't mean they aren't there. I use to live on the beach in Marina del Rey. My doorstep led right to the sand. The Pacific ocean is cold as ice and dark as shit though. I use to wear a wetsuit just to take a dip and you can't even see your arm the water is so chummie. I use to take a dip every morning as a refresher. There's a lot of currents that can take you out deep if you're not paying attention. One morning I'm wading about 20 feet from shore. A few minutes later I'm about 150 feet from shore out very deep. The next thing you know, I feel a large body bump me on my side. Imagine my horror when a large fin pops up in front of me. It was a large dolphin. I thought it was a great white at first. My heart was beating out of my chest. The dolphin comes up on me and starts pushing me further out. I have never been face to face with a dolphin in the wild. He was patchy, big and strong. Scared the shit out of me. I immediately swam back to shore where a school of dolphin came out of nowhere and they played right in front of my house for half an hour. Some of my friends said that the dolphin may have protected me from a shark. I don't know. After that, I would never ever go more than waist deep in the Pacific. If a huge dolphin could come up on me without me seeing it, a shark could do the same. Never mind the giant seals. They can also put a huge bite on you. I was totally scarred after that.

Destin is nice but too touristy and I'm not a fan of the GOM. Much better the further south you go. The Keys are the best water that is close to the Caribbean but it is so damn far away. If you want sharks, New Smyrna outside Orlando is the shark capital of the world. The sharks surf the waves right next to you. Most of the time they don't bite but every once in a while, they'll take a nibble from someones ankle.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Or if you can prove that water came in through windows, fallen trees or the roof. There's a lot of multi-million dollar homes here that are flooded out in areas that never flooded and most likely didn't have flood insurance. It's going to be very curious to see if they are compensated/made whole. The city has over 500,000 homes with flood insurance, so that is a very high number.

My flood insurance is over $3k/year. It's absolutely insane and more than half of my homeowners. Texas has the 3rd highest insurance rates in the country next to Louisiana and Florida. The insurance companies always win. Disaster hits and they just raise rates.
    Once you have Flood Insurance included... you're home free. They can't say no to your claim.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

^^ Lol Mac.. Yep I surfed many times near schools of dolphins.. The fins can look like sharks if you don't have an eye for it.. Never had a dolphin nudge me though.. Cool story.. I've been within a few feet of them that's it... I always liked dolphins...

Destin is very touristy now I agree, garbage.... I was looking in a small city called Hollywood miles down coast from Dustin.. Wasn't bad.. Private beaches too... Keys are too fruity for me.. Can't do that..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 08-29-17 at 12:34 AM.

Mac4Lyfe

Correct about everything but the waves.. Southern California beaches for waves pump year round in many spots up and down the coast..
    Florida is a lake most of the time from top to bottom.. Beaches are way nicer in Florida for sure though when it comes to white sands, water temps, clear waters.. I agree...
    Jibbby - do you surf? Malibu pier use to be a great spot or down by the lagoon although too many rocks.

Mac4Lyfe

^^ Lol Mac.. Yep I surfed many times near schools of dolphins.. The fins can look like sharks if you don't have an eye for it.. Never had a dolphin nudge me though.. Cool story.. I've been within a few feet of them that's it... I always liked dolphins...
    I'm done with the Pacific. That was the single most scariest event I've ever had on water and I damn near lived on water. That dolphin was no flipper. Ugly mutherfukker that was acting like he was on meth. I will never go in the water with dolphins.

Wheatgrass
    Wheatgrass's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 728

stayed a month at the kings inn in san diego

almost fought a bartender ect

but remember you could leave the door to your hotel open and the weather was great and no one would bother you. great times

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Jibbby - do you surf? Malibu pier use to be a great spot or down by the lagoon although too many rocks.
    I surfed my entire life here on the west coast, from San Diego to Santa Barbara you name it.... Long boarding now but the waters are gross, I got an ear infection last time I went out at Porto Beach and haven't been back out since.. Been about a year now.. I miss it..

Mac4Lyfe

I surfed my entire life here on the west coast, from San Diego to Santa Barbara you name it.... Long boarding now but the waters are gross, I got an ear infection last time I went out at Porto Beach and haven't been back out since.. Been about a year now.. I miss it..
    Damn, that's unusual because the water is so cold. Here in Houston we've had a few kids die from brain eating amoeba in the lakes where they thrive on hot temperatures. Very scary stuff. We had an outbreak of bacterial infections in this area after Hurricane Rita and Ike. Most penicillin didn't work well. Hopefully this hurricane won't bring that back here.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Why Texas??

I would never live there something about that state I do not like and really not much around it long drives to go places

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Sadly I found a picture of PO69's dog Ike. Just like Katrina PO left his animals to fend for themselves. Thankfully Ike is doing just fine