daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

One of the keys to evacuation is time. They had none. This is also a city about the size of Chicago. Where would they go? They were sitting ducks without time.

Shit like this brings out the worst in people. People laugh and crack jokes and it's funny till it happens to them. I've been through hurricanes and floods. It sucks. If you want to keep laughing, be careful, your time could be coming.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave daneblazer 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Only 5 people died.. I would say that is a win..

People flooded out can start over and rebuild.. It's not easy but that's life.. Alot of aid will be coming in also.. I see this being a much better situation then Katrina...

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Was just making an observation and how the wealthy are more prepared to evacuate compared to the poor.. Ghetto people ride the bus and don't have cars as well..
    Don't pull the race card on me Mac.. I can speak about these things without be labelled a racist.. Come on man!!!
    Naw man. I'm not saying it was a racist post. I'm just saying that this event is hitting everyone. Folks in wealthy neighborhoods are stuck just like everyone else. People are being asked to evacuate but how do they leave? I've got plenty of food and space but friends can't even get over here. Money means nothing right now to a lot of people. You can't buy anything because nothing is open. This is about as close as you would get to the zombie apocalypse. LOL

The poor are always the most impacted because they have limited options. But the lady that lost her life had plenty of money but made a bad decision.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Death wise it will not match Katrina. Damage wise it will.

Obama always caught heat for his disaster responses. Let's see if Trump is any better

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Only 5 people died.. I would say that is a win..
    People flooded out can start over and rebuild.. It's not easy but that's life.. Alot of aid will be coming in also.. I see this being a much better situation then Katrina...
    It's a miracle only a few people have died. That is a huge win.

The economic impact will be much higher than Katrina though. Houston is a very large city. It is long and it is wide and almost the entire city is under water. Think about that for a moment. I don't think anyone would imagine the entire city under water. This is Katrina times 10. The crazy part is that it is not over.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Has any water subsided?

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Death wise it will not match Katrina. Damage wise it will.
    Obama always caught heat for his disaster responses. Let's see if Trump is any better
    It is very hard to figure out what assistance has to be provided. FEMA sent generators to Houston but they should have sent boats... You never know if you should ask people to evacuate as more people got killed/hurt while trying to evacuate after Hurricane Rita. I think the best decision was for people to stay in their homes. That probably saved a lot of lives in this one. But now, people have to be rescued. A lot of people are being asked to evacuate to higher grounds right now.

Another thing I'd like to research is the amount of people that know how to swim here versus New Orleans Katrina. This city is huge on teaching kids how to swim and that probably saved a lot of lives where a lot of people in NOLA did not know how to swim.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Traffic day and night? Have you been in LA traffic?
    Yes mobile. I have driven thru every major city in America. Nothing compares with la and NY obviously but Houston is a very busy city but it doesn't have any proper way of going north. US 59 is under construction and isn't good for any large flow. Taking 45 North towards Dallas is pointless as that would create unreal chaos. Only option was taking 10 towards el paso but nothing out there.
    Last edited by lakerboy; 08-28-17 at 12:23 PM.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Has any water subsided?
    The rain subsided for several hours this morning but we've been getting consistent rain the last few days and will continue until Thursday. I'm getting hammered right now as I type. The rain bands are off and on but when you get a huge band, there could be several inches dropped in an hour. We're expecting 50 inches here by Thursday.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Tsunami's still the worst.. Big ships can't even get thru those undamaged or top sided..

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    The rain subsided for several hours this morning but we've been getting consistent rain the last few days and will continue until Thursday. I'm getting hammered right now as I type. The rain bands are off and on but when you get a huge band, there could be several inches dropped in an hour. We're expecting 50 inches here by Thursday.
    fuk

Hey Mac I am a good guy so if you need housing you can stay here at $800 a week pal

Let me know

Mac4Lyfe

fuk
    Hey Mac I am a good guy so if you need housing you can stay here at $800 a week pal
    Let me know
    $800 a week is a bargain with what we're going through right now.

BUT, I now have lakefront property outside my door. LOL

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Dobler radar shows the storm is moving on now.. It's should be getting better in Texas now..

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Shopped

Mac4Lyfe

Shopped
    My wife said that people were reporting alligators and snakes while evacuating...

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

got shopped?

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

wtf the fire ants trying to save themselves

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Hard to be prepared from whatever side, if you don't have money. Buying gas, a generator, propane, a boat, whatever.

I wonder if anyone is fishing for food.
    [/QUOTE
    Last edited by bradthebloke; 08-28-17 at 03:57 PM.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    I opened my mailbox (not like I'm getting any mail anytime soon) an hour ago and it was full of ants and what looked like maggots. WTF? The street is flooded, so I guess they didn't have anywhere to go.

The good thing today is that we haven't had all the mini tornadoes everywhere. Still a lot of rain but hundreds of tornado warnings is some crazy shit.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Yes mobile. I have driven thru every major city in America. Nothing compares with la and NY obviously but Houston is a very busy city but it doesn't have any proper way of going north. US 59 is under construction and isn't good for any large flow. Taking 45 North towards Dallas is pointless as that would create unreal chaos. Only option was taking 10 towards el paso but nothing out there.

San Antonio just a few hours away

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

^^ People can catch fish and make fresh sushi at home.. Lol...

Slayer it's interesting to think what this does to the bug population in these areas.. Roaches, spiders and ants mostly all die and drown.. Pest control companies gonna be out of work for a while after this
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 08-28-17 at 05:04 PM.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post

I've been through a couple floods and those fire ants ain't no joke. You see this weird mound/ball kinda rolling in the water and it's all fire ants. The ants on bottom keep climbing onto the ants on top, they survive doing that until they can find something to latch onto. You do not want to be that something to latch onto.

Capitols44
    Capitols44's Avatar Become A Pro!

looks like i wont be going to the janet jackson concert in houston.

Capitols44

Building near the NBA houston rockets arena exploded. http://uproxx.com/news/houston-rocke...losion-harvey/

jjgold

out of control now

Houston could be gone

Capitols44

It could be interesting if houston goes to the world series they will have to relocate and they would not play in their home stadium.

Mac4Lyfe

We're getting hammered again right now but things are looking better on radar. A lot of bands are moving East away from the heavily populated areas. Hopefully it keeps going through land and peters out. Worst case would be for it to regain strength in the gulf and kicks back up even more rain.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    We're getting hammered again right now but things are looking better on radar. A lot of bands are moving East away from the heavily populated areas. Hopefully it keeps going through land and peters out. Worst case would be for it to regain strength in the gulf and kicks back up even more rain.
    Just saw on the news that the eye is back in the gulf, but supposed to move east from there. It's moving slow, but hopefully it'll get out of the area soon.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    Just saw on the news that the eye is back in the gulf, but supposed to move east from there. It's moving slow, but hopefully it'll get out of the area soon.
    45 North under water so folks can't get out to Dallas if they wanted to. I-10 West is clear to San Antonio.

jjgold

Houston might never recover

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Houston might never recover
    Relax with the drama JJ.. When the water drains they start rebuilding.. Water always gets drained on land above sea level.. Even when it's below sea level like New Orleans.. Houston will be fine in time.. People with flood insurance and those that get FEMA loans will be rebuilding and end up with brand new homes.. At worst a total remodel for free..

Best thing that can happen to some home owners is huge disaster like this I kid you not.. I've witnessed home owners, business owners, and commercial property owners benefit greatly from situations like this.. Investors especially... The insurance companies are the losers in the end..

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Yes I'm sure the people with destroyed homes are relieved they will get a "new" home for free and that the insurance companies will gleefully hand over the checks that will be more than enough to cover the damage.

Ultimately people will rebuild because they have a choice to either rebuild or feel sorry for themselves. Unfortunately Some will choose the latter and won't rebuild. You'll have patches of destruction for decades. It's not going to be easy.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Whats the dobler radar show for tonight?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Yes I'm sure the people with destroyed homes are relieved they will get a "new" home for free and that the insurance companies will gleefully hand over the checks that will be more than enough to cover the damage.

Ultimately people will rebuild because they have a choice to either rebuild or feel sorry for themselves. Unfortunately Some will choose the latter and won't rebuild. You'll have patches of destruction for decades. It's not going to be easy.
    It's not easy, initially people are ruined.. I'm just saying after everything settles down many benefit...

I'll give you a personal example.. My own mothers house got red tagged and suffered foundation damage in the Northridge earthquake out here in California years ago.. She had to leave her home by law and I took her in.. Not easy but I love my mom.

Moms was initially devastated that she was thrown out of her home in one days time, needless to say I wasn't thrilled either..

However, she had State Farm earthquake insurance luckily and that got the rebuild underway immediately after a $75,000 deductible was met.. A quick Fema assistance loan took care of that $75,000 deductible at 2.5% if I remember correctly.. A year later my own mother was living in a newly built, larger and stronger home and she was as happy as can be..

Ended up with $75,000 Fema loan at 2.5% in the end but such a huge upgrade.. Home gained hundred of thousands in equity as well..

First 123 Last