jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Three matches at this year's Wimbledon triggered alerts for possible match-fixing

Three matches at this year's Wimbledon triggered alerts for possible match-fixing, the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) revealed on Wednesday. One of the matches was from the main draw and the other two were in the qualifying tournament.
    They will be assessed and reviewed by the TIU as part of it's latest quarterly review, alongside one match from the French Open.
    Alerts are raised in response to unusual betting patterns, which are not in and of themselves evidence of match-fixing. A number of other factors, such as playing conditions or an injury to one of the players, could account for anomalous betting patterns.
    The TIU receives information about suspicions of match-fixing from betting companies and regulators, and is obliged to investigate should a red flag be raised.
    The suspicious matches at Wimbledon are not believed to be related to the unusually high 10 mid-match retirements in this year's men's tournament. It is also understood that no British players are under investigation.
    Wimbledon 2017 Tennis Championships
    The matches at grand slam level that prompted alerts are the biggest cause for concern, but as usual it is in the lower levels of the game where unusual betting patterns are most rife.

mdunlap3
    mdunlap3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4843

Does it say which ones? Tomic maybe?

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

only 3?

jjgold

Does not say which ones

Must be Betfair or Bet365 reporting..only legal books that takes MASSIVE ACTION ON TENNIS

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

There was a Swedish guy or group that was offering fixed matches at the ITF level a few years back for a dime a month

Never thought the players would carry over that practice to the ATP level

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

a dime a month, lol.
    Who the hell would fall for a dime a month......win your matches, improve your ranking, get into Challengers, and then possibly qualifiers for ATP level event, especially majors. Dropping matches in ITF level will eliminate any chances of making real money......

shadymcgrady

Neighbor up the street, hedge fund by day and tennis instructor on the side

He was semi pro or whatever as a kid and played with a few of the names that made it to ATP

He followed the sport closely and would indicate if a player was tanking. The picks went life 6-0 the first 2 weeks then 0-4 when I started betting them so I quit. Never brought it up again then he moved away

jjgold

Betting on small time tennis and early rounds is a sucker game unless taking DOGS

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

"Fixed" match investigations often claim unusual betting patterns to trigger investigations. That's often bullshit and part of gambling myth and lore based on selected cases made popular.

In these high profile situations, the root of the investigation really begins when the matches don't follow the already "fixed" script.

Somebody screwed up here, but nothing will come of it.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Make me nervous about betting no names.

Only take the main guys. They are too rich to be paid off.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post

So the guy who got rich being paid off is now too rich to get paid off?

You might want to re think that one.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    a dime a month, lol.
    Who the hell would fall for a dime a month......win your matches, improve your ranking, get into Challengers, and then possibly qualifiers for ATP level event, especially majors. Dropping matches in ITF level will eliminate any chances of making real money......
    The prize money is so small at the challenger and ITF levels that fixing matches could provide a better living than grinding on the tour for points.

I don't bet ATP very often but I bet often on WTA and I can usually spot a tanking player. Garbi Mugs lost 6-0 6-1 in her last match before Wimbledon and that was a clear tanked match as the Wimbledon players party was going to be the next day and if Garbi had won that match, she would have missed the party. So she tanked. I'd prefer betting in play on tennis but the juice is so high that it probably doesn't make a difference. You just have to hope the players you back don't tank a particular day.

Even the greats tank. Roger Federer gifted a win to Tommy Haas a month ago.

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

But whats the most anyone can bet on an itf or challenger match? I know 5d is $100.

Plus is your in the profession, work your ass off in the hopes you get to the point where you can at least start playing in qualifiers for atp. You qualify for one grand slam or high level atp and even win a match or 2....the payoff is nice.

shadymcgrady

Not everyone uses 5d or offshore betting. Assuming everyone does something a certain way just bc u do it is ignorant

shadymcgrady

Well this thread helped reveal level of intelligence for some.

There are athletes that never make it to the highest level in all sports, guys that are minor leaguers for life, guys playing ball overseas and guys stuck in ITF.

But yeah go on and assume that everyone is going to just make the jump to atf asap bc that's what you would do. I assume ur the only one who also coincidentally can watch espn or read an online article. Gimme a break

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18983

Big books in the UK share information so if 1 book sees unusual action everyone else gets a heads-up. Unusual betting patterns are reported to the respective sporting bodies before the event under suspicion starts, whenever possible. Major tennis events were always a concern during my time in the industry. Money wagered on smaller events is usually very low so unusual patterns show up quickly. It's difficult for coups to wager significant money without being detected. It's much easier to get money on the bigger events. Seeing matches under investigation at Wimbledon isn't a surprise. I expect we'll hear about low ranked players who were 'carrying an injury' losing 1st round matches to even lower ranked players. We may also hear about spot-fixing, (where a low ranked player who has almost no chance of winning agrees to lose in straight sets or be under the games handicap).

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    The prize money is so small at the challenger and ITF levels that fixing matches could provide a better living than grinding on the tour for points.

I don't bet ATP very often but I bet often on WTA and I can usually spot a tanking player. Garbi Mugs lost 6-0 6-1 in her last match before Wimbledon and that was a clear tanked match as the Wimbledon players party was going to be the next day and if Garbi had won that match, she would have missed the party. So she tanked. I'd prefer betting in play on tennis but the juice is so high that it probably doesn't make a difference. You just have to hope the players you back don't tank a particular day.

Even the greats tank. Roger Federer gifted a win to Tommy Haas a month ago.
    Yea, to the trained eye watching live you can tell some tanks, there are different ways to tank to make it look like theyre trying to win or give max effort but I can see through their bs alot of times. One sneaky way to tank is by putting yourself on the defensive all the time letting your opponent dictate play while you dont anticipate the least little bit and start running after they hit the ball, not gonna win that way, Ive seen Serena do that when she has no interest at all in advancing in a tourney. I agree also that the live prices are insane, after every little pt a fav's price can go up substantially. Ill usually have different portals open and can see the discrepancy from different books and 3rd parties, hate those books where the plus odds are nowhere where they should be in relation to the fav, so low that it takes the fun out of it sometimes.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    a dime a month, lol.
    I heard about that offer I think a couple years ago, cant think a player would take that challenge because theyd be suspicious of being caught that way, but its not so easy as you say. Everybody cant have that kind of success at tennis, thats like telling the 400th best basketball player to just work hard and become an all star, what if he simply isnt good enough. If you go look at the prize money of those challengers youd see how some could get easily enticed by throwing matches, I dont see why theyd get strangers involved though, unless they were lured by big enough numbers to satisfy them. But to me the easiest way is to just have a couple people you know open accounts and give them a signal before the match that youre not going to win, could be family members, they go and place wagerss and money is made, wont get rich probably but over time money builds and the payouts would be bigger than actuallly winning the match. So you could have a tennis player who is a serious player and always wanting to win, but at those times when he knows he's not in form, knows the odds on him are ridiculous, or simply wants to gear up for following tourney or doesnt like the town or country he's in and could easily then let his buds know. This way they are always "winning", because they are a serious player and 80% of the time trying to win theyll win money from actually winning and the other 20% theyll win money from the signals they passed to their 2 or 3 buds or kin.

MaddyMax
    MaddyMax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Three in wimbledon and i believe 8 in french open. and 85 in atp and wta as a whole so far this year has been alerted but its an improvement from last year. Last year there were 125 alerts in total by end of June.