funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25232

Tennis Question Regarding Wimbledon

So Chris Evert just said "It is going to take a big strong hitter to win this tournament" Then she went on to name the big hitters in the Women's division. The she went on to say "That is why I think it will be hard for Kerber or Halep to win this as they are not your typical big strong hitter"

What I don't get is that Kerber and Halep are 1 and 2 in the world. Why do they need to be big hitters here, when they haven't been the entire way working their ways to 1 and 2. Doesn't make sense to me...Gotta have something to do with the firmness of the court I am guessing compared to other venues? But then again they wouldn;t ever compete on hard floor...I don;t understand...

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3165

Her opinion must have something to do with the Grass.

garvardntl
    illegitimum non carborundum
    garvardntl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Watch Jelena win the whole thing. Just like she did on Clay, another atypical, 'non-artificial' surface.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Hard hitters can get away with more errors on grass because the bounce is not always true, same with clay.

On a hard court the bounce is always true so generally the player with less errors wins, meaning accurate finess players can rally longer and tilt the % of unforced errors in their favor.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3165

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Hard hitters can get away with more errors on grass because the bounce is not always true, same with clay.

On a hard court the bounce is always true so generally the player with less errors wins, meaning accurate finess players can rally longer and tilt the % of unforced errors in their favor.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25232

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post

Fantastic post

Thanks

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9208

I think big hitters suit grass better as the ball comes off the surface faster than any other too.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Courts playing fast or slow this year?

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

Kerber should have lost a few hours ago. Down a set and a break in the 2nd. Shelby Rogers really choked this morning. That has to be a heart breaking loss. Kontaveit was also up huge against Wozniacki (I think she had 2 match points) only to lose as well. Tough going.