MeanPeopleSuck
    MeanPeopleSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 700

Breaking News: Sharapova ruled out of French Open

Sharapova, who had the second shortest odds to win the women's French Open at around +650, was ruled out within the last hour.

I know nothing about tennis, but doesn't that make the shortest odds player, Simona Halep -- who I've never even heard of -- a good buy at +450?

I'm guessing her odds will probably come down somewhat after the markets adjust to the Sharapova news.

gorwin068
    Tennis fan and bettor
    gorwin068's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4555

Personally for me, I am not really interested in outright betting at all, because it takes way too long.
    Anything could happen throughout a tournament, grand slam is even a much longer tournament, 2 weeks long.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Not breaking news

She has zero shot

Not even top
    Player anymore

DR225
    DR225's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

How can you possibly not know who Halep is if you've been following tennis? Also Halep is injury prone, so I wouldn't bet her to win outright but I'll definitely be parlaying her a bunch of times throughout the tourney.

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by gorwin068 View Post
    Personally for me, I am not really interested in outright betting at all, because it takes way too long.
    Anything could happen throughout a tournament, grand slam is even a much longer tournament, 2 weeks long.
    Heh, fair points. The one thing about futures/outright betting that I DO like is you get a lot of fun 'bang for your buck'. For the price of one bet, you get to care about, watch, and cheer matches from all over the tournament in question.

OK, so, I just put a hundred bucks on a player I've never heard of to win a tournament I know nothing about in a sport I don't watch. I'll concede the word "degenerate" might possibly be associated with that set of circumstances.....

MeanPeopleSuck

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Not breaking news
    She has zero shot
    Not even top
    Player anymore
    Well, it's breaking news enough that Sharapova hasn't yet been deleted from the futures lists at 5d and Intertops, where she has the second shortest odds to win the tourney at + 650 -- or at least that was true half an hour ago.

Sharapova's still being on that list implied to me that Halep's odds might not yet have been adjusted downward to reflect the fact that the 2nd most likely winner of the tournament won't be playing.

It could easily turn out I'm wrong -- as I mention in the OP, I don't follow tennis AT ALL -- but I still bought Halep at +450, guessing that it's a value play and that by tomorrow she'll be down to + 350 or something.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Halep's best years are way behind her.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Sharapova quit today in Rome

Said she was hurt

20 women can win French as women's tennis is horrific right now

Conqueror