will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

David Ortiz Numbers are Insane!

Let's remember that he's in his last season at 40.

It's early, but he's in the tops in the league in home runs (13), RBI's (46), and batting average (.339) (Triple Crown Conversation)

The power numbers are deceptive. He has a double in 6 of his last 7 games and 23 2B's on the season (on pace for 70!). He has 27 RBI in the month of May.

In my mind, Miguel Cabrera is the best hitter in the last 20-30 years, but Ortiz is doing some amazing things and this isn't using PED's. He's always been clutch. His PED usage was unclear and I think baseball has to let some of these guys into the Hall of Fame. Big Papi is EASILY a HALL of FAMER. This isn't Barry Bonds who hit 73 HR one season and never hit over 50 HR any other season. This guy is a winner.

Any opinions?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

First ballot Hall of Famer and he will be playing next year

Just a natural hitter

mikefan1034
    mikefan1034's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1233

First ballot hall of famer without question. One of the most clutchest hitters to ever play the game. What jeter meant to the Yankees is what Ortiz means for the Red Sox.

Avenger_deux
    Avenger_deux's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 88

Farewell tour. I said this first week of MLB.

Expect an incredible farewell game.

League loves this guy.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20133

A 40-year-old hitting like that? Gotta be on the juice.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Red Sox to win it all?

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6001

Wowser!

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Guy on Methasterone easily.

Ro0k
    Ro0k's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2492

He tested positive back in 03 but everyone just looks past it because he's a "good" guy...who beats up telephones with bats.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Roid user with head the size of a watermelon

Cool guy though and clutch

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18704

Quote Originally Posted by Ro0k View Post
    He tested positive back in 03 but everyone just looks past it because he's a "good" guy...who beats up telephones with bats.
    Lol fukk him

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Hard to imagine he's clean, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

this our fukkin seedy

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Ortiz was a Punch and Judy hitter who had only hit 20 homers once in his career. Gets traded to Boston and his over 40 three of his first four years there including 54 in 2006??
    There were many on the glorious '04 comeback team that were juicing. I like Papi, not a big Yanks fan here or anything, but I think the likelihood that he's been on some sort of PED for multiple years, not just the one he tested positive for is very high. Don't know how you leave the other dopers that deserve to be in the Hall out and let the guys the majority of us like in.

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

Probably be easier as some have suggested to call the era starting post strike (although I'm sure some teams like the A's and Rangers were doing it earlier) to pretty recently the PED era-wing for anyone getting inducted to the Hall who played during this time. I think it's too not fair to give some of the guys that most think as squeaky clean, the Jeter's and Maddux's of the world a free pass and pass judgement on others where there's not absolute proof. So many ways to mask the new shit they make anyway as stated above, who really will ever know who was taking what both in the last couple of decades and even today. Dee Gordon is a perfect point. Guys like Maddux and Pedro pretty much get a free pass because of their body style, but they were putting up rediculous numbers too. Who really knows?

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

ZERO percent chance he isn't fukkin doping. I don't give a fukk how "naturally gifted" of a hitter you are...no motherfukker is hitting major league pitching like this at 40+. It ain't happening.

Don't be a fukkin idiot.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Ratpack
    Ratpack's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1777

wait can he be a hof without even picking up a glove i thought baseball was a two way sport you play offense AND defense the man hasnt picked up a glove in 10 years what does that say to todays kids if i could hit i could be like papi and never have to play the field

hit_me90
    hit_me90's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4389

wasn't it about 2 yrs ago Ortiz couldn't even catch up to a 90 mile fastball and was so bad the sox were thinking of cutting him. But after eating right, getting 8 hours of sleep a day and taking his vitamins he did what all players do as they approach 40, his bat speed got faster, his strength came back, and starting turning on 95 mile fastballs. If he is juiced, I don't blame him. would you rather be making millions and playing professional baseball or selling oranges in the streets

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    ZERO percent chance he isn't fukkin doping. I don't give a fukk how "naturally gifted" of a hitter you are...no motherfukker is hitting major league pitching like this at 40+. It ain't happening.

Don't be a fukkin idiot.
    called to tell him about this post

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Red Sox to win it all?
    If pitching gets more consistent

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Guys are crazy if they are still taking the risk, they must have a great understanding of MLB's testing capabilities and an understanding of whatever they are taking and the masking agents. After all that it still seems very risky, if they are on something and not getting caught who is to say when MLB will come up with an even better test that ultimately is able to catch whatever they may be using.

Ro0k
    Ro0k's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2492

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    Probably be easier as some have suggested to call the era starting post strike (although I'm sure some teams like the A's and Rangers were doing it earlier) to pretty recently the PED era-wing for anyone getting inducted to the Hall who played during this time. I think it's too not fair to give some of the guys that most think as squeaky clean, the Jeter's and Maddux's of the world a free pass and pass judgement on others where there's not absolute proof. So many ways to mask the new shit they make anyway as stated above, who really will ever know who was taking what both in the last couple of decades and even today. Dee Gordon is a perfect point. Guys like Maddux and Pedro pretty much get a free pass because of their body style, but they were putting up rediculous numbers too. Who really knows?
    Bautista is another one. Look at his stats on a yearly basis. One year he just figured out how to hit 50 bombs? Garbage now. Whole team can't hit. Once collabello got busted they all stopped, lol.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Juicer. Guey was dog shit with the Twins...goes to Boston and credits the "hitting coach" for fixing his swing. Yeah, with steroids in your fukkin' ass, pal! He is dirty and a clown. Loved because everyone hated and was tired of the Yankees. Doesn't play the field + failed a test = no HOF.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by Ro0k View Post
    Bautista is another one. Look at his stats on a yearly basis. One year he just figured out how to hit 50 bombs? Garbage now. Whole team can't hit. Once collabello got busted they all stopped, lol.
    Ben Zobrist is another guy. He's gotten better yearly and having his best season at age 35.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12894

Quote Originally Posted by Ratpack View Post
    wait can he be a hof without even picking up a glove i thought baseball was a two way sport you play offense AND defense the man hasnt picked up a glove in 10 years what does that say to todays kids if i could hit i could be like papi and never have to play the field
    I really like Ortiz, he is a great ambassador of the game. BUT, no DH has ever been voted in, that simple.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    called to tell him about this post

Roid rage

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    I really like Ortiz, he is a great ambassador of the game. BUT, no DH has ever been voted in, that simple.
    DH Has only been around since '74. Haven't been that many candidates. Edgar Martinez is the only one that comes to mind. No reason why a DH can't make it. It will happen eventually. Ortiz could be the first. And while he has been mostly DH, he also has played a few hundred games as a 1B.

Also, what about Frank Thomas? The majority of his starts in his career was actually as DH.

Paul Molitor became DH. Harold Baines. Don Baylor.

mikefan1034
    mikefan1034's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1233

What u guys fail to realize Is MLB has a very good drug testing system. Ortiz has passed every single year. He's a lock for the hall. If anything jeter was on roids. Ortiz is the greatest clutch player in baseball he deserves 100 percent of the vote but I'll settle with 99 percent

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12894

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    DH Has only been around since '74. Haven't been that many candidates. Edgar Martinez is the only one that comes to mind. No reason why a DH can't make it. It will happen eventually. Ortiz could be the first. And while he has been mostly DH, he also has played a few hundred games as a 1B.

Also, what about Frank Thomas? The majority of his starts in his career was actually as DH.

Paul Molitor became DH. Harold Baines. Don Baylor.
    I didn't say he doesn't deserve it, I believe he does. But, I don't make the rules, (it's not a rule, it's sports writers) Just saying DH's don't get in. The guys you mentioned played the field the majority of their careers. I used to love seeing Don Baylor stand there and take fastballs of his huge biceps and walk to first base, like saying thank you. LOL.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Hard to imagine he's clean, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Don't be a fukkin idiot.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by mikefan1034 View Post
    What u guys fail to realize Is MLB has a very good drug testing system. Ortiz has passed every single year. He's a lock for the hall. If anything jeter was on roids. Ortiz is the greatest clutch player in baseball he deserves 100 percent of the vote but I'll settle with 99 percent
    So did Bonds...what's your point?

The guy is dumpy, yet is defying hundreds of years of what we know about physical deterioration of athletes over time. The only ones getting popped for roids are dumbinthecans and poor players that can't afford the undetectable stuff. The black market for PED's will always be ahead of the best testing facilities, even USADA. The stuff leaves your system so fast these days, it's hard to get caught if you know what you are doing.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    I didn't say he doesn't deserve it, I believe he does. But, I don't make the rules, (it's not a rule, it's sports writers) Just saying DH's don't get in. The guys you mentioned played the field the majority of their careers. I used to love seeing Don Baylor stand there and take fastballs of his huge biceps and walk to first base, like saying thank you. LOL.
    Check the numbers on Big Frank. Majority of starts were DH.

Regardless, there's a first for everything. Only thing that could keep Ortiz out is the steroid cloud.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

The motherfukker juices. Period. Name me
    one clean athlete who's game IMPROVED after age 35??

Use your heads, motherfukkers.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

TheMoneyShot

I haven't even been watching that much baseball this year.

But if someone says David Ortiz is having an amazing season.

And the man is 40 or whatever....

Name anyone that had those stats at 38-40? No one really.

Guy is taking some of that Uganda sh#$

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

The motherfukker juices. Period. Name me
    one clean athlete who's game IMPROVED after age 35??

Use your heads, motherfukkers.
    Ben Zobrist is 35 and seems to be getting better. He must be juicing?

Seems like a big of a generalization.

12 Last