Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3374

Why is lefty vs left in baseball considered tough for the hitter......

But not righty vs righty.

Anyone?

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Batters typically do better vs the opposite-handed pitcher. IE: righty batters like lefty pitchers, and lefty batters like righty pitchers.

When a left-handed pitcher throws to a left-handed batter, the ball almost comes from behind the batter making it tougher to locate and hit.

Much easier to follow the pitching motion across their body and directly coming towards you the whole time.
    Points Awarded:

RavensFan2k3 gave DOM_Toretto 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Right-right is still a less than ideal hitting matchup, but it is much more common so they have plenty of experience with it. Left-left is more rare so it's typically considered the toughest batting matchup.
    Points Awarded:

RavensFan2k3 gave DOM_Toretto 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3374

I guess I knew that. I felt dumb now. Thanks lol

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

It is more because you have to be a great hitter to be a righty, but you can get away with not being great if you are a lefty because you face righties and also a shorter run to first base.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    Right-right is still a less than ideal hitting matchup, but it is much more common so they have plenty of experience with it. Left-left is more rare so it's typically considered the toughest batting matchup.
    Yeah, but you would think over time, especially for a major leaguer, that it wouldn't be that rare anymore. Yet some left-handed hitters still struggle terribly against lefties.

I've wondered this too. The ball is coming from right about the same angle regardless.

And I guess I've never paid attention to this, but do they ever have lefties throwing BP? Couldn't hurt.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

It's less time for a lefty to pick up the ball, meaning even less time to pick up the pitch