Dan Kelly
    Update your status
    Dan Kelly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

This could change the whole presidential election - Be careful with your bets

This was reported in the news today:

"Some members of the Republican Party are bandying about a plan to run a "real" Republican as a third-party candidate. The candidate's job would not be to get 270 electoral votes. That would be impossible. The goal would be to win a few states and deny the Democratic nominee - presumably Hillary Clinton - 270 electoral votes. According to the Constitution, if no candidate gets 270 electoral votes, then the President will be chosen by the Republican dominated House of Representatives, with each state getting one vote. They can choose anyone from the top three electoral-vote getters. So if the third-party Republican won only a couple of states, far behind Clinton and Trump, it wouldn't matter. He could still be elected President by the house.
    Meanwhile, if no candidate gets 270 electoral votes for vice president, the Senate picks the vice president from the top two finishers (not top three). So, suppose Paul Ryan ran for president on a third-party ticket and picked off Ohio and his home state of Wisconsin, and that was enough to ensure neither Clinton nor Trump got to 270. Then the Republicans in the House could elect Ryan President, but they would have to choose between Clinton's running mate and Trump's running mate for Veep. If the incoming Senate is divided 50-50, the choice of Vice President could be important."

Our constitution was written with the quaint notion that partisan politics, as was seen in England and the colonies in the last half of the 18th century, would not be part of the American democratic experience. The idea was that communities would make decisions without parties (there is not one mention of political parties in the U.S. Constitution), so the rules to elect a president with 'electors', and to break presidential election ties in the House of Representatives may now seem convoluted, but in context make perfect sense and could make the 2016 election very interesting and historically unique.
    Check in with your President bet ideas - BUT PLEASE NO POLITICS. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR POLITICS AND YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO CHANGE ANYBODYS MIND.

BoL

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20145

Never happen. Just get used to saying President Clinton (again).

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Never happen. Just get used to saying President Clinton (again).
    It's happened twice before in our country's history. Be careful what you wish for.

To the OP I talked about this possibility last night in another thread before I even saw a news article about it. This has always been a possibility since the Republican party is so divided right now. Hell, even the Dems are divided as Sanders is faring much better than expected winning some states. We live in a crazy ass country where shit like this could potentially decide a presidency.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    It's happened twice before in our country's history. Be careful what you wish for.

To the OP I talked about this possibility last night in another thread before I even saw a news article about it. This has always been a possibility since the Republican party is so divided right now. Hell, even the Dems are divided as Sanders is faring much better than expected winning some states. We live in a crazy ass country where shit like this could potentially decide a presidency.
    Youre a republican right?

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DABOOK

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kelly View Post

This was reported in the news today:

"Some members of the Republican Party are bandying about a plan to run a "real" Republican as a third-party candidate. The candidate's job would not be to get 270 electoral votes. That would be impossible. The goal would be to win a few states and deny the Democratic nominee - presumably Hillary Clinton - 270 electoral votes. According to the Constitution, if no candidate gets 270 electoral votes, then the President will be chosen by the Republican dominated House of Representatives, with each state getting one vote. They can choose anyone from the top three electoral-vote getters. So if the third-party Republican won only a couple of states, far behind Clinton and Trump, it wouldn't matter. He could still be elected President by the house.
    Meanwhile, if no candidate gets 270 electoral votes for vice president, the Senate picks the vice president from the top two finishers (not top three). So, suppose Paul Ryan ran for president on a third-party ticket and picked off Ohio and his home state of Wisconsin, and that was enough to ensure neither Clinton nor Trump got to 270. Then the Republicans in the House could elect Ryan President, but they would have to choose between Clinton's running mate and Trump's running mate for Veep. If the incoming Senate is divided 50-50, the choice of Vice President could be important."

Our constitution was written with the quaint notion that partisan politics, as was seen in England and the colonies in the last half of the 18th century, would not be part of the American democratic experience. The idea was that communities would make decisions without parties (there is not one mention of political parties in the U.S. Constitution), so the rules to elect a president with 'electors', and to break presidential election ties in the House of Representatives may now seem convoluted, but in context make perfect sense and could make the 2016 election very interesting and historically unique.
    Check in with your President bet ideas - BUT PLEASE NO POLITICS. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR POLITICS AND YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO CHANGE ANYBODYS MIND.

BoL

Better get started soon. There are ballot deadlines. I believe if they wait until after the late July convention, it's too late.

DABOOK
    At The Spectrum
    DABOOK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18419

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Brilliant.

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Youre a republican right?
    I'm not affiliated with either party, never have been, never will be. I'm anti-establishment/anti-fascism. So I'm closer to Independent or Anarchist than either mainstream political party. What about you?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 283

Would not happen. It would just divide the Republican vote, and give more states to Hillary. Perot did it to Bush in 1992, and Nader did it to Gore in 2000.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    I'm not affiliated with either party, never have been, never will be. I'm anti-establishment/anti-fascism. So I'm closer to Independent or Anarchist than either mainstream political party. What about you?
    Kinda like you for the most part. Perot/Ron Paul types are who I would have backed.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7917

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    true but incomplete. The Democratic party should be on there as well

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16587

Voting: The Slave's suggestion box
    Points Awarded:

gauchojake gave actiondan 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

habitualwinning gave actiondan 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Everyone laughing at America as it is a laughig stock low class nation
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ACoochy

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

When America starts caring what other countries think about them, I'll let you know.

And Hillary sweeps the board when it comes to corporate sponsorship. She's still going to win easily.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9082

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    Voting: The Slave's suggestion box

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

The Rothchilds decided Hillary would be the President.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 170

Wow

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11732

Clinton in a landslide