Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

How To Beat Trump by Phil Hellmuth

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13474...ald-trump.html

How Do You Beat Donald Trump? We Asked a Poker Champion

Republicans are scrambling to find a way to defeat Donald Trump. Here's one idea: Think of him as the toughest poker player you've ever faced.
    "Trump is the ultimate 'loose-aggressive' player," said poker champion Phil Hellmuth in a recent phone interview. Hellmuth has won 14 World Series of Poker events -- the most ever.
    Many years ago, during the heyday of online poker in the U.S., for a very brief (and parentally disappointing) period, I made my living playing poker, mostly online and without much success. I often encountered this type of player, known to students of the game as "LAG."

The LAG will play many hands, some with good cards, but much more often with mediocre or even bad cards, betting and raising the stakes each time. The strategy is to make other players fear you so much that they are cautious about playing against you and will often fold, even when they are likely to have a better hand, ceding small amounts of chips in the hopes of saving up for a big confrontation. The LAG wins many small skirmishes this way, amassing chips and becoming more powerful. The loose-aggressive player wants to control the table, own the table and run the table. Sound familiar?
    Must Read: If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Would Happen to the U.S. Economy
    Trump seems willing to take up any position that might give him an advantage (play any two cards), move forward rather than backward on any issues (he never apologizes -- always raising the stakes, never folding), and when he is attacked, he hits back, even when the attacker is the Pope. People often think of Trump as a bully, but it's not as accurate an analogy, because for the playground bully, being cruel is the point. There is no larger game. With the LAG -- and with Trump -- the bullying behavior is a strategy with the goal of winning all the chips. It's bullying with a plan.
    So, how do you beat the loose-aggressive player? I wasn't very good at beating these kinds of advanced players in my day, so I talked to someone who eats them for breakfast: Hellmuth.
    According to Hellmuth, who is known for his insights into the strategies of opponents, there are two ways to beat the LAG.
    "When you're playing against a loose-aggressive player, think of a harpoon. You nail them with a harpoon, on one big pot for all their chips. They're a big target," Hellmuth told me, adding, "and Trump is a big target."
    In poker, what this means is being patient and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike, Hellmuth explained.
    The analogy to politics and Trump's rise is simple. Trump enters the fray at every turn and controls the topics of discussion, winning small battles that earn him a steadily increasing number of supporters. The more supporters he amasses, the more small battles he wins, the more powerful he becomes. The harpoon strategy dictates then with the LAG that the way to defeat them is to wait to be dealt a very powerful hand; it can take time and patience. When this happens, allow the LAG to bet and raise the stakes of the hand until many chips are in the pot, and then, of course, win the pot with the superior cards.
    "Trump has made a target of himself over and over and over again," said Hellmuth, referring to the many times Trump has made statements that one would think would make him vulnerable to attack: disparaging Mexican immigrants, attacking popular Republican Senator John McCain, espousing traditionally Democratic party positions on key issues like health care.
    But it hasn't worked. Poker, like life, involves a bit of luck, and sometimes inferior cards win.
    "He's playing many weak hands, so you'd expect him to get harpooned a lot," said Hellmuth, who is a student of politics but not politically affiliated and has no candidate he yet supports. "The problem is you've harpooned Trump five times and he's so smart, he's so resilient, he has so much style, he's changed the rules of poker."
    Trump's rivals in the GOP primary -- Senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz -- have watched others try this strategy against Trump. Think of when Jeb Bush demanded Trump apologize during a September debate for comments Trump made about Bush's wife. Trump didn't back down, emerging from the harpoon moment unscathed.

And, besides, Rubio and Cruz are running out time. Waiting for the right moment to launch a harpoon takes patience, and Super Tuesday is around the corner, followed quickly by a series of huge primary states, where many chips will be in play for the LAG, Trump, to gobble up.
    But, there is another way to defeat the LAG, Hellmuth told me.
    "The first way is patience. The other way is you take it to the next level," he said. "You have to come over the top, raising the stakes."
    He explained further:
    "The LAG controls the pace of the game, controls the flow of the game, controls how much money is put in the pot and pushes the pace to make sure every pot is bigger. Whether he has good cards or not, he has faith that he can outplay you or get lucky. The way you defeat that is to get even more money in -- you have to get more aggressive. You make sure that every time you have a hand that's likely to be better than his hand, you're getting big raises in. You have to have good discipline, but you get aggressive."
    Translating that into layman's terms, you don't wait around forever for the perfect opportunity, but when something pretty good presents itself, you go for it, giving it everything you've got.
    And, in fact, we've seen that work against Trump in this election. When Rubio attacked at the last GOP debate with a flurry of zingers about Trump's hiring of foreign workers, his inheritance, his business savvy, it bloodied the frontrunner.
    Hellmuth explained:
    "Rubio made a smart move. He finally took it to the next level. He assumed he was just going to win with patience and when you're waiting for someone else to implode and they don't implode, all of the sudden you're way behind in the chips and Super Tuesday is coming up and you can't wait anymore. Rubio can't wait. Rubio changed tactics, finally aggressively attacked Trump -- and he looked pretty good doing it."
    And Trump has spent much time in the days following the debate answering questions about the hiring of Polish workers 35 years ago and his upcoming lawsuit defending Trump University.
    Trump's rivals seem to know by now that to have a chance in the primary -- or in the general election -- sitting back and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike hasn't been a winning strategy. Punching back at any reasonable opportunity could be.
    You're in a poker tournament, at the final table of ten players. One of them is a loose-aggressive bully who is quickly amassing chips and eliminating rivals. If you just wait, you think, until it's down to just the two of you, then you'll take him on -- and win. Even if you should get to that point, one problem with this strategy is that by the time you do, your opponent is likely to have so many more chips than you, that winning in the end is a long shot.

Rubio bullied the bully. Two things happen at the poker table when you do that. First, other players see that the LAG can be beaten, and some may be emboldened to use a similar strategy. Second, the LAG knows this, and will often quickly move to reestablish dominance. Trump has done that time and again in this election when he's been attacked.

Like the highest-level poker, this election is being played on the emotional level. Many elections have come down to specific policies, party loyalty, how the economy was doing. This election, however, is about raw emotion.
    "Trump has changed the rules of the game," said Hellmuth, adding, "and we've let him do that."
    Points Awarded:

Dan Kelly gave Russian Rocket 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

lol

Trump is wining period

Politics is not poker

Poker is all luck..POLITICS IS MONEY

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273605

was a more interesting read than I was expecting. thanks for posting this

omega
    omega's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2370

You can't beat Trump. Accept it.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Tournament Poker, brand endorsement, NBA super fan, political savvy...

Philly #1 GOAT

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    You can't beat Trump. Accept it.
    of course..he is going to fire so many Fed workers too and I cannot wait for them all to lose their jobs

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Very interesting article

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    lol

Trump is wining period

Politics is not poker

And politics definitely isn't running a business where he (Trump) can do whatever the f he wants.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1896

The only comparisons is that Trump is more aggressive than anyone else is why he is winning.
    In poker, the more aggressive you are the better chance you will win.

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Nice read.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Nice read but it is all for naught since he will never be president.

Guy is a frontrunner who uses catch phrases and insults to rile up the average moron. No substance behind anything he proclaims.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post

Guy is a frontrunner who uses catch phrases and insults to rile up the average moron. No substance behind anything he proclaims.
    That's why I would love to see it happen.
    I want to see how terrible it would be.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Says the democrat

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHAWKHARRY View Post
    Says the democrat
    I am? Wow! News to me.

The funny thing is the guy the Republicans are all worshipping is a democrat.
    Points Awarded:

ACoochy gave Grits n' Gravy 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16732

Rubio and Cruz are more cut out for go fish

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

he may be out numbered ,to many woman blacks and mexicans vote dem. because there ass wants a free check

Dr.Gonzo
    Dr.Gonzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3192

Hellmuth is a cash game fish who will have a game build around wherever he sits.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Trump comes at you like a wild spider monkey. You can't beat him.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

I am? Wow! News to me.

The funny thing is the guy the Republicans are all worshipping is a democrat.
    Shhhhh

It's the greatest con job either party has ever pulled

Here, all the republicans think they're backing the greatest man since Reagan, and he's a fawkin Democrat!!!!!!!

They got gotten

And it's hysterical to watch

Well done, Dems.... Well done

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    Or Uno

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

helmuth left and then the ub scandal hit , he knew it was coming because he was a part of it

Wallnuts
    Wallnuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1135

got any 2's ?

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Shhhhh

Here, all the republicans think they're backing the greatest man since Reagan, and he's a fawkin Democrat!!!!!!!

They got gotten

Big difference between dem and moderate republican. There is a reason both parties hate him. He doesn't fall in line with all of their views.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

Dan Kelly
    Update your status
    Dan Kelly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    lol

Trump is wining period

Politics is not poker

Coach, you have posted some ignorant shit, but "Poker is all luck" tops them all.

BoL
    Last edited by Dan Kelly; 03-03-16 at 08:54 AM.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8394

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Shhhhh

They got gotten

greatest con job by either party so far to date ...

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

Quote Originally Posted by sweethook View Post
    he may be out numbered ,to many woman blacks and mexicans vote dem. because there ass wants a free check
    Shouldn't those dumbasses be voting for Sanders then? He wants income equality, free education, livable wages etc. Hillary wants none of that but the status quo, more for the super wealthy. She is the most establishment candidate running from either party. She's been a lifelong benefactor from wall street and multinational corporations on the backs of the middle class and poor. She doesn't care about the poor or minorities or for that matter anyone except her friends in the oligarchy. Benghazi comes to mind.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15111

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    greatest con job by either party so far to date ...

A democrat running as a democrat.
    That's a real conversation job Dwight.

I think you missed the point again

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8394

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    A democrat running as a democrat.
    That's a real conversation job Dwight.

I think you missed the point again
    I was referring to the greatest con job part which Obama is.

I believe there are good points on either side when it comes to politics. That's why I don't really care if the president is a dem or rep.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Did anyone else realize that "harpooning" him and waiting and pouncing ("big when your cards favor you") were literally the same thing?

There's no stats in this race (outs, or edge), no way to BEAT someone when the reason why he's winning is because almost everyone else represents the reason why Trump is popular (anti-establishment). Cruz, for example, also has that winning formula but he's just not as likeable or effective at pulling it off as Trump is. So it's not Cruz's fault per se, because he has the formula right too. It's like 2 hot dudes going for a girl, both are charming ... girl's gonna choose the one that's slightly better. That doesn't mean the other guy did something "wrong" --- he just got outdone.

The establishment is cooked and there is no good analogy. Trump wins on every end. It's too late unless they SUICIDE the convention on him.