I do know as much as we like to rag on the scum of this board, there are a good number of intelligent people. I was reading a thing on minimum wage and its something I have thought about a lot over the years. I can argue the economist POV which is that any increase in min wage would end in the increased cost of goods produced which gets passed onto consumer which means the buying power of the increased wages is the same as before the increase so no benefit. That said I also do think we do have an increasing issue of income disparity that needs to be addressed in our country.

So that said - what if you somehow pegged the min wage at each organization to the salary of the top person in that organization. Lets say each company could employ 5 min wage workers without any penalty and another 5 employees at 1.5x min wage without penalty. Anything over that and now you are required to peg the highest salary person to the lowest. Or peg the top 5 to the lowest 25% at some ratio.

That would keep the mom and pop shops that everyone always worry about able to compete but would really hinder big businesses that drive a lot of this country but maybe that isn't a terrible thing. Maybe only make the rule for publicly traded companies.

I haven't thought this all the way through but would love to hear some other ideas of how to close the income gap in any way. We always say that the workers need to train in other skills - and to some extent I agree with that - but some of that should fall back on the businesses employing min wage workers to help them train for the next thing.

Maybe set a different min wage for people in HS and college (lower) and one higher for those not in school - i.e. if you want to hire a 35 year old latino boy you better be ready to pay him a fair salary or go find a college kid to do the job.

I don't know - all just ideas I have started thinking about lately - not flushed out at all but would love to hear what others think about how to do this. Open to critical thoughts on this but also bring solutions if you want to comment on my bad ideas.