USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Men Does Anyone Have a Fireplace? Is This Bad??

Noticed this crack on back wall while I was cleaning it out. My home is less than 5 years old but do use the fireplace quite often in the winter time. Help
    Attached Images  

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

They may have used the wrong type of brick.

AUSTINRUSSELL
    Born with Aces
    AUSTINRUSSELL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3031

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Noticed this crack on back wall while I was cleaning it out. My home is less than 5 years old but do use the fireplace quite often in the winter time. Help
    To lazy to type out long response.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ce-cracks.html

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Must be those video game degenerates in the work force again, does not look good Philly.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

That's no big deal at all. Most of them appear to be mortar cracks. Goes thru a few full bricks. Again, no biggie. The heat from the fires dry out your mortar, so it's not at all unusual to see it have some cracks. As far as the brick, still a pretty easy fix that any mason can do.

Truth is, you don't even really need to get it fixed. Chances are during the summer, it'll close up on its own. Weather has a lot to do with expansion.

No reason to worry or rush to get it repaired. Use your fireplace like you never noticed it. If it gets larger, call a mason to point it up. No worries.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    That's no big deal at all. Most of them appear to be mortar cracks. Goes thru a few full bricks. Again, no biggie. The heat from the fires dry out your mortar, so it's not at all unusual to see it have some cracks. As far as the brick, still a pretty easy fix that any mason can do.

Truth is, you don't even really need to get it fixed. Chances are during the summer, it'll close up on its own. Weather has a lot to do with expansion.

No reason to worry or rush to get it repaired. Use your fireplace like you never noticed it. If it gets larger, call a mason to point it up. No worries.
    Opie if my house goes up in flames I'm coming to Dallas

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Part of owning one

Enjoy it..go split fukkin logs man

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Looks like coach tried to slide down your chimney and deliver you some late Christmas gifts.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Who builds brick chimneys these days????

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Who builds brick chimneys these days????
    i don't think it's actual "brick". Seems to be some type of pre fab chimney that goes into the actual chimney area? There's supposed to be some metal plates behind this but who knows. Already had my roof deck replaced twice due to flooding. Theres no pride in what people build these days. It's all get it done quick.

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

As a retired 30 year General Contractor, that needs to be checked out, if the house is only 5 years old you should have some re course with the contractor who built the house, regardless of whether its actually brick or a simulated decorative inserted piece, you dont want smoke going behind that crack,JMO.

later

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

It is a cheap simulated brick insert. They crack and are shit cause cheap. Get a chimney company to replace that crap.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

There are also fireplace and hearth companies but usually they charge more.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Anatomy of Your Chimney

Whether your masonry chimney is used to vent a fireplace, woodstove or furnace, most have sections of clay flue tile stacked one on top the other to form a liner called the flue.

The flue liner should be tightly sealed to protect the integrity and efficiency of your chimney. But over time, hidden dangers can develop that will compromise the safety and efficiency of your chimney.

Hidden Dangers In Your Chimney

Gaps Between Flue Tiles

The combustion process creates noxious gases that can contain creosote/soot, carbon monoxide and corrosive chemicals. The purpose of your chimney is to safely vent these hazardous flue gases from your home.

Flue tiles are typically sealed with mortar to keep these gases within the flue. But over time, the mixture of heat, moisture and chemicals will erode the mortar, leaving gaps or voids between flue tiles.

Cracked Flue Tiles

Flue tiles can crack due to “sudden occurrences” such as a previous chimney fire, lightning strike, or seismic event.

Cracks may also be caused by poor workmanship or the ongoing settling of your home.

Flaking Flue Tiles (Spalling)

Years of exposure to corrosive chemicals and moisture from combustion can attack clay flue tiles, causing pieces of the flue liner to flake off or delaminate, a process called spalling.

How These Hidden Dangers Can Affect You

Fire & Health Risks

These defects, no matter how small, can begin a process that will further erode the chimney and can pose a threat to your family’s health. When heat, moisture and gases escape through gaps and cracks in your chimney, they can deteriorate your chimney from the inside out. More importantly, the gaps and cracks can cause health risks, by allowing poisonous gases to escape into your home. Combustible creosote or soot can also escape through these openings and build up outside the flue liner. If the creosote were to catch fire in this area of your chimney, serious damage can occur, because the fire can no longer be contained within the flue.
    Pieces of flue tile that flake off due to spalling can form dangerous blockages within your chimney.

Loss of Efficiency

Chimneys, to work correctly and efficiently, must be gas tight and free of gaps and cracks. Gases rising up through your chimney are similar to liquid being sipped through a straw. If the straw has a crack or hole in it the liquid will not flow effectively through it.

Gaps and cracks allow excess air into your chimney, slow the updraft and make it harder for smoke and gases to rise up and out. Hence, the fireplace, woodstove or furnace will perform poorly, resulting in the loss of heat efficiency.
    Points Awarded:

USCPHILLYGUY gave Russian Rocket 21 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Part of owning one

Enjoy it..go split fukkin logs man

I split wood for 37 minutes every fuggen morning.

Part of living off the land.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Always something USCPhilly... this fukking world.

I do kinda agree with Opie though. If it gets worse... then call someone.

These chimney freaks are always trying to rip someone off. Be on the look out.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    I split wood for 37 minutes every fuggen morning.

Part of living off the land.
    Elk your basically a LOG MAN, LUMBERJACK

Strong as an ox

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

Quote Originally Posted by capitalist pig View Post
    As a retired 30 year General Contractor, that needs to be checked out, if the house is only 5 years old you should have some re course with the contractor who built the house, regardless of whether its actually brick or a simulated decorative inserted piece, you dont want smoke going behind that crack,JMO.

later
    This guy knows what he is talking about.

I am a custom home builder and he is spot on.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I say bore a hole in there...insert a small M-80 and ignite it...if the hole gets bigger you've got a problem...if not...buy a bucket of Spackle and fill the hole and carry on

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Bad builder, sell house immediately