wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Do it.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Um..you never met a single person who regretted getting there degree? Yeah because they didn't gave to work full time and many have thete parents pay for school..lol. I worked in h I spital where dr regretted her huge debt of 140k...

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by nyplayer33 View Post
    Um..you never met a single person who regretted getting there degree? Yeah because they didn't gave to work full time and many have thete parents pay for school..lol. I worked in h I spital where dr regretted her huge debt of 140k...
    Ummm….sounds like you may need to go back to school and take some remedial English.

Fukk is this nonsense?

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

There's no good work anymore for the young professional and like I said you're extremely smart which eliminates most people it's why moving forward you cannot have a lot of debt because hard to pay back and you really have to be careful thing 10 times over before having a family because of economics

Most idiots that are in college all really wasting your time… Of course if your parents are going to pay for it and it's free why not go

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Wanted to add to this...

A buddy of mine who's 39 now... was a very good mini construction guy. For example... he knew everything there was about drywall...painting... small electrical... just about everything there is to fine tune a home or business etc. Guy was amazing. And he priced everything about 20% below the normal going rate. He always told me... I give everyone a fukking deal... and collecting from these a$$holes is draining. For instance... he worked on this one guy's home... and the bill was about $7,000 (that was with a discount.) And... he finally settled for $5,000. He said... it's sh#$ like this... that I don't want to do this anymore. He said this when he was about 33 years old. Now mind you... he's 39 now.

One day we were talking and he goes... do you ever want to go back to school? At the time... my businesses were doing well...and I'm happy with what I was doing... and I said... why would you want to go back? We were talking about our high school days etc. He said... don't you ever worry about not having a degree? I said... no not really... Then I said.. why would you worry? You have a great trade and do amazing work... (he's been working on homes since he was 20 years old.) He said... it's just draining trying to collect all the time. You wake up one day... and say enough of this sh#$. So...

He goes I want to go to Michigan State. I said how are you going to get in? Because he told me he had only a C avg from his high school days. He said... their letting people in... that's what I heard. I said what's the tuition a year? He said it's $32,000 a year. I said who's going to fund it? He said... I already qualified for a student loan. I said wow... this is shocking.. I can't believe you're going to go back to school?

Cut the story short... he went all 4 years. Graduated. Now, is working out of the Chrysler's headquarters here in Michigan. He said he's happy he gets a solid paycheck a week. But now... he has to pay off the $128,000 student loan debt.

I'm still trying to figure out how Michigan State allowed him in with a low GPA? From the research I've done... if you can prove that you can come up with the tuition... you may enter Michigan State. That was different.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how Michigan State allowed him in with a low GPA? From the research I've done... if you can prove that you can come up with the tuition... you may enter Michigan State. That was different.
    Yeah, that is strange. I remember applying to MSU back in my day and didn't get in. My GPA was pretty average.

There may be a different set of rules for people who are older. Why would they even care what you did back in the 90s anyway? No longer relevant.

jjgold

Wanted to add to this...

A buddy of mine who's 39 now... was a very good mini construction guy. For example... he knew everything there was about drywall...painting... small electrical... just about everything there is to fine tune a home or business etc. Guy was amazing. And he priced everything about 20% below the normal going rate. He always told me... I give everyone a fukking deal... and collecting from these a$$holes is draining. For instance... he worked on this one guy's home... and the bill was about $7,000 (that was with a discount.) And... he finally settled for $5,000. He said... it's sh#$ like this... that I don't want to do this anymore. He said this when he was about 33 years old. Now mind you... he's 39 now.

One day we were talking and he goes... do you ever want to go back to school? At the time... my businesses were doing well...and I'm happy with what I was doing... and I said... why would you want to go back? We were talking about our high school days etc. He said... don't you ever worry about not having a degree? I said... no not really... Then I said.. why would you worry? You have a great trade and do amazing work... (he's been working on homes since he was 20 years old.) He said... it's just draining trying to collect all the time. You wake up one day... and say enough of this sh#$. So...

He goes I want to go to Michigan State. I said how are you going to get in? Because he told me he had only a C avg from his high school days. He said... their letting people in... that's what I heard. I said what's the tuition a year? He said it's $32,000 a year. I said who's going to fund it? He said... I already qualified for a student loan. I said wow... this is shocking.. I can't believe you're going to go back to school?

Cut the story short... he went all 4 years. Graduated. Now, is working out of the Chrysler's headquarters here in Michigan. He said he's happy he gets a solid paycheck a week. But now... he has to pay off the $128,000 student loan debt.

128,000 debt

incredibly stupid unless he is a mastermind that can get any big job he wants

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Yeah, that is strange. I remember applying to MSU back in my day and didn't get in. My GPA was pretty average.

There may be a different set of rules for people who are older. Why would they even care what you did back in the 90s anyway? No longer relevant.
    He enrolled back in 2010 was about 34 years old at the time. I tried asking him in a nice way... how the fuk did you get in? He narrowed it down...

1. They had lower enrollment at the time. Economy bad in Michigan? Everyone choosing other schools?

2. You needed guaranteed proof you were funded for 4 years. (Have no clue how he achieved this?)

3. Perhaps age was a factor? Maybe giving a break to people who were in their 30's?

He never lived near campus. Drove 1 hour 15 minutes each way every day for class.... 4 years straight. Talk about gas expense to. Wow.

sjm5122
    sjm5122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11867

Mich st isnt that hard to get into. My cousin was just accepted with a 21 act

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

degree or no degree if you are solvent, happy with your job and how life is going it should not matter

i don't have a portfolio, 401k or clear retirement path

just straight Ash$$$

in life there will always be better positions and more riches

but let'a be clear HAVE A FUKKIn JOB

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    degree or no degree if you are solvent, happy with your job and how life is going it should not matter

just straight Ash$$$

straight cash gaining no interest. No pension. GLGLGLGL.

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    For me it's been the best financial investment of my life

I went to school and got an ASSOCIATES degree in nursing about 10 years ago, and have pulled in over 6 figures at least 5 out of the 10 years I've been a nurse

Now I'm in a department where I can work as much or as little as I want, and can hit that six figure mark without killing myself.

I never had student loans due to grants and scholarships, but if I had, I could have paid them back within 6 months.

I've since gone back and received my bachelors in nursing, plus my original degree in Chemistry, and I get $1.25/hr more for having a bachelors in nursing and nothing for the Chemistry degree

Associates degree in nursing one of the best value degrees out there

Plus, I won't even tell you the stories about nursing school study groups. No one would believe me anyways
    Nah we wanna hear these stories fam
    share one w us

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post

Yes but you can have major tax advantages which make up for it

manny24
    pay Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Canuckles i make my own luck

blissfully ignorant and at 43 in much better physical shape than you will ever be

opie1988

Canuckles i make my own luck

blissfully ignorant and at 43 in much better physical shape than you will ever be
    Manny....I'm about to 46 and fatter than you will ever be.

So whatever, you dig.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

just straight Ash$$$

manny, I know you work hard, pal. I hope you are maxing out Roth IRAs at least if you aren't doing a traditional 401K. You're losing more and more on any cash you have in the mattress every year. Inflation rates due to rise here as well.

As far as degrees go, they are worth less and less each year. See people with MBA's working mall and food service gigs while having to pay back $80K + in loans. As a country, the U.S. needs to go to more trade oriented training. You should have a clear path to a career after graduation. Not have some jerk off English or business degree and your university wishes you good luck after paying $80K in tuition that will take the average person 21 years to pay back.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Another thing I find that's quite interesting... a few years back. Channel 4 in Detroit which is a NBC affiliate had the most non journalism degree employees at one time. In fact, there was an estimated 76% that didn't have a journalism based degree. It just goes to show you... all major companies just want a degree in anything. Even if it doesn't support what you're trying to apply for. Very odd.
    I concur. Most people I work with have a degree or were in the military. If I could go back in time, I would recommend going into the military after high school; Air Force, Navy, etc. I would pick up useful military position and get ranked as high as possible. While in the military, go to college and get a degree that way once I'm out of service, I can apply for a job that fast.

If all else fails, work as an electrician.
    Last edited by JMobile; 01-06-16 at 08:04 AM.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Can meet quality girls in college very easily.
    Last edited by face; 01-06-16 at 08:17 AM.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    manny, I know you work hard, pal. I hope you are maxing out Roth IRAs at least if you aren't doing a traditional 401K. You're losing more and more on any cash you have in the mattress every year. Inflation rates due to rise here as well.

As far as degrees go, they are worth less and less each year. See people with MBA's working mall and food service gigs while having to pay back $80K + in loans. As a country, the U.S. needs to go to more trade oriented training. You should have a clear path to a career after graduation. Not have some jerk off English or business degree and your university wishes you good luck after paying $80K in tuition that will take the average person 21 years to pay back.
    bang.......only works our for small percentage of people and usually non Americans because they are smarter than us

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I went to a small D3 school in Ohio called Wilmington. Business degree with an Econ minor. There are definitely pros and cons. I still don't know if it was necessarily worth it. If you're going to spend a lot of time at one job that will hire you without a degree, I'd say no. If you switch companies frequently, I'd say yes.

jjgold

Older guys in their 30's and on it was worth it

NOW NOT WORTH IT

manny24
    pay Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Manny....I'm about to 46 and fatter than you will ever be.

So whatever, you dig.
    Zackley right Opals

if you are good with being a rich slob do your thing

we make our own happiness ig uess what i was trying to say

a kid i graduated with had all kinds of degrees and was hired scheduled to start work for Goldman-Sachs

one bitterly cold a$$ day last February parked his car at Queechee Gorge and dove off the bridge

went out on his own terms i guess but the Masters in Business didn't do fukk all

opie1988

Zackley right Opals

if you are good with being a rich slob do your thing

we make our own happiness ig uess what i was trying to say

a kid i graduated with had all kinds of degrees and was hired scheduled to start work for Goldman-Sachs

one bitterly cold a$$ day last February parked his car at Queechee Gorge and dove off the bridge

went out on his own terms i guess but the Masters in Business didn't do fukk all
    Ummm....I was joking. You went to a very dark place.

Not really all that fat. Very hurtful to be called a "rich slob."

(not gonna lie...this made me lolz)

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

The amount of gray matter that you have in that dome is what matters the most -- You either have it or you don't.
    No college degree is going to fix stupid.

Said all that, I strongly believe that getting a technical degree is well worth it...IF you can afford it.

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11934

its the only way to go if you like having more money

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

just do what you want in life as long as no one else pays for it

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

im 23 and im def glad i got my degree
    gonna finish my mba soon
    seeing my friends struggle/forced to do a certain type of work makes me sad

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by blackHIPPY View Post
    im 23 and im def glad i got my degree
    gonna finish my mba soon
    seeing my friends struggle/forced to do a certain type of work makes me sad
    Well done

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jjgold

You'll be working at a deli pal with that MBA in five years

If your not a gifted person with that degree it is penetrating useless

Get in the warehouse like I did... work every day or start a painting, fencing or electrician business

manny24
    pay Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Ummm....I was joking. You went to a very dark place.

Not really all that fat. Very hurtful to be called a "rich slob."

(not gonna lie...this made me lolz)
    story 999% true though but happened in 2014 not last winter apologies

knowing that in heavy snow conditions a 165' drop would not necessarily KILL you is the worst part

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

story 999% true though but happened in 2014 not last winter apologies

knowing that in heavy snow conditions a 165' drop would not necessarily KILL you is the worst part
    What a beautiful scenery...

I bet he enjoyed that last ride of his.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good comments everyone thank you again.

I understand the concept of hard work and trying to be the best you can be. I too was once like the 25 year old sammy that is rapidly rising up through the ranks however I had a traumatic experience that completely derailed my career. I pray no one has to have something like that happen to them but try and imagine if sam had some kind of cancer scare or something traumatic and wasn't the same salesman at work anymore.

That may be a bad reference but I am trying to say it happened like that to me and I hung on TRYING my best for 7-8 more years after the incident but the reality was I was up in my career. The military finally realized that as well and put me out with very nice compensation even if begrudgingly at the end.

The main problem I face now as a mid 30's guy is I have no trade skill (I was infantry and medical admin) and I am basically rotting away. I didn't plan on getting out and going to college again but I think I have to if I want to find happiness again. Sure I can go work at the family dollar and earn a wage but that is not going to ultimately make me happy, if anything I'll just get to mannys bridge faster.

Also this thread wasn't supposed to necessarily be about me specifically getting a degree but I do have access to the gi bill and vocational rehab VA stuff that will pay for me to get a 4 year degree so the 8 billion in student debt wouldn't affect me. Feel awful for kids that it does although we all probably carry debt at some point even if it's not termed "student loan".

I kind of feel like I'm letting my GI buddies down by not taking advantage of the college, the ones that are taking classes while serving now are truly smart soldiers as Mobes was mentioning.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just wanted to add that the way I'm viewing it now is I have to pursue my passions and reinvent myself in some way.

I love sports and I think getting a degree is my only chance of pursuing that dream...as people have said it is about who you know mostly but I think if I get this paper I can still make a career in sports work.

I am also unique in the sense that I have some sort of steady income already so even getting my foot in the door like sorting fan mail for no pay wouldn't affect me as much as it may others. (Thank you Blue Jay GM Alex A) but ultimately I worry that my goals will fall short not because of my efforts but because I do not posses the degree.

opie1988

Get it. You'll never look back.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

definitely a good decision but make sure its a degree with a good ROI. Also, these days a degree doesn't get you ahead it just gets you up to speed with everyone you're competing against. Your GPA and test scores like GMAT will be what set you apart.

First 1234 Last