seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Saban has pretty much silenced the Bear Bryant references for Alabama

Barely hear anything about the old coaching legend anymore. It's all about Alabama football and recent championships and national titles.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 362

Saban is a recruiting Savant

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Bama much better now thats why

Bear was somewhat overrated

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Not a word is spoken about Vince Lombardii any more either, doesn't change the fact that both are legendary.

I love Alabama football, I love Saban, he is a master recruiter, just like Bear was.
    Bear wanted to recruit blacks, his bosses in Alabama wouldn't let him, if they did let Bear recruit blacks he would have won more than 7 championshps in 35 years.

I love Saban, except he's a carpet bagger, well he was a carpet bagger until Shula was so inept he got shit canned and he took over.
    He quit LSU for NFL money, wasn't a real good NFL coach, lucky for Alabama Mike Shula sucked as a coach and the Dolphins weren't really loving Saban anymore or else we woudn't be having this talk.

Saban is the best college coach in the game today.
    Best in the last quarter century.
    Saban's not a legend yet, his record after so far at Alabama is staggering.
    Still not a legend that Bear was.

Bear Bryant was a Alabama lifer.
    Well not really, but he played for Alabama, got a four year degree from Alabama, played both ends, defense and tight end on offense.
    Won a title as a player, got some assistant coach gigs after graduating, finally got the call Alabama needed a head coach, came home to 'Bama styed there for 35 years, won 14 SEC titles.

Saban is a great recruiter, so was Bryant.
    Saban is a winner, so was Bryant.
    What Saban is doing is carrying Alabama's torch that Bryant is lit.
    Belichick is a great coach, so was Lombardi.
    Belichick will go down in the history books as a great coach.
    Lombardi will go down in history as a great coach and a legend.

Saban will go down in the record books as one of the greatest college coaches ever.
    Know this, and know this well, Saban will have to coach into his 80's to win 300 games.
    He's not going to be coaching at 80 years old to reach 300.
    And if he did, he'd have to coach 4 more years to win 323 games that Bear did.

Saban will never be what Bear Bryant was.
    Bryant put the college football game on the map.

Both men will go down as all time great coaches and recruiters.

Bear was a legend, Saban is not, and never wil be a legend.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Not a word is spoken about Vince Lombardii any more either, doesn't change the fact that both are legendary.

I love Alabama football, I love Saban, he is a master recruiter, just like Bear was.
    Bear wanted to recruit blacks, his bosses in Alabama wouldn't let him, if they did let Bear recruit blacks he would have won more than 7 championshps in 35 years.

I love Saban, except he's a carpet bagger, well he was a carpet bagger until Shula was so inept he got shit canned and he took over.
    He quit LSU for NFL money, wasn't a real good NFL coach, lucky for Alabama Mike Shula sucked as a coach and the Dolphins weren't really loving Saban anymore or else we woudn't be having this talk.

Saban is the best college coach in the game today.
    Best in the last quarter century.
    Saban's not a legend yet, his record after so far at Alabama is staggering.
    Still not a legend that Bear was.

Bear Bryant was a Alabama lifer.
    Well not really, but he played for Alabama, got a four year degree from Alabama, played both ends, defense and tight end on offense.
    Won a title as a player, got some assistant coach gigs after graduating, finally got the call Alabama needed a head coach, came home to 'Bama styed there for 35 years, won 14 SEC titles.

Saban is a great recruiter, so was Bryant.
    Saban is a winner, so was Bryant.
    What Saban is doing is carrying Alabama's torch that Bryant is lit.
    Belichick is a great coach, so was Lombardi.
    Belichick will go down in the history books as a great coach.
    Lombardi will go down in history as a great coach and a legend.

Saban will go down in the record books as one of the greatest college coaches ever.
    Know this, and know this well, Saban will have to coach into his 80's to win 300 games.
    He's not going to be coaching at 80 years old to reach 300.
    And if he did, he'd have to coach 4 more years to win 323 games that Bear did.

Saban will never be what Bear Bryant was.
    Bryant put the college football game on the map.

Both men will go down as all time great coaches and recruiters.

Bear was a legend, Saban is not, and never wil be a legend.
    When I was at Bama in the late 80's early 90's The Bear dominated every season and every game. His voice over, his photos, he just loomed over the coaches at that time. No more. Yes Bear is a Legend, but his shadow doesn't loom over Saban's light like it has over the other Bama coaches. Saban doesn't have to defer to Bear one bit. I would argue that what Saban is doing now is much greater than Bear in historical terms and real time. Bear had enough players to stockpile on the swim team, track team, and other sports to keep from playing against him. Bear did not have to compete against as deep of an SEC or national teams as Saban either. The SEC has not always been perceived as the best conference in the land. Saban has dominated the best conference in which passing is the fancy. Bear won with the wishbone when no one could beat you passing consistently.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Barely hear anything about the old coaching legend anymore. It's all about Alabama football and recent championships and national titles.
    Go go Alabama for a day. They'll tell you all about him

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I went to Tuscaloosa 3 years ago and had two separate 30 minute conversations with two 400lb guys in overalls about coach Bear. Some of the other old timers were sure to bring him up when they found out I lived in Tallahassee. Ole coach bear lives on there I promise you

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

He doesn't have to do much recruiting, as soon as he came to Bama every five star in the state wanted to come because he coached in NFL. No NFL tenure it'd be a little different.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Go go Alabama for a day. They'll tell you all about him
    I'm NOT talking about on the campus or Tuscaloosa. I'm talking about on a national scale when the Tide plays a big game. No mention of the past and Bear, only Saban and what HE is doing and has done.