indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

ESPN clueless calling Holm the biggest upset in UFC history

Any gambler of any experience or anyone who knows markets has to cringe when ESPN's journalism rejects and ex-jocks tries to talk about the gambling world like they're "hip" and "informed", and even worse when they act like they know what they're talking about.

ESPN is proclaiming Rousey closed at -1400 and Holm at +800 by quoting the ultra square Vegas shop, The Westgate, and using that to call it the biggest upset in UFC history. When are these clowns going to learn that Vegas is corporate owned, high-vig rec. books that only caters to squares, and high-roller tourists, especially for markets like the UFC. Vegas shops will not let any consistent winning UFC bettors,or active pro's even play there, or they limit them quickly. Pinnacle closed with Rousey only at -810 and Holm was bet down to +610, and I'm sure they were taking a lot more action than the Westgate (I welcome any correction if I'm wrong on that point). You mean to tell me there isn't one person at ESPN that can look up Pinnacle 5 minutes before the fight goes off? Anyway, since Holm was really bet down to around 6-1, I'm almost positive T.J. Dillashaw closed at 8-1 or 9-1 when he challenged Barao in a UFC fight, hence, Holm is not the biggest winning underdog in UFC history, and perhaps someone can come up with an even bigger underdog than what Dillashaw was in the first Barao fight.

When "journalists" at ESPN get facts this wrong and you know it, just think how much other journalists get things wrong on things we don't know about.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I grabbed JDS at +900 years ago against Werdum(when the odds opened)

With that said, I think Holm was the biggest upset(non betting) in the history of the UFC based on hype of the champion.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19443

I believe they said the biggest in UFC title history, which it may be.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

I think Dillashaw over Barao was the biggest shocker/upset for me, because of the added trump of Dillashaw replacing the hurt fighter that was suppose to fight Barao; so Dillashaw wasn't even suppose to be in that fight.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14516

Nick Kalikas announced Holm closed at +570. Lot of late steam!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It was an upset but now we know Holmes was superior

It was not luck

She could of actually killed her

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It was an upset but now we know Holmes was superior

It was not luck

She could of actually killed her
    Oh Rousey survived last night? Thought she died for sure.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

I believe ESPN probably meant the most significant upset in UFC history. This one was a stunner. Holm gave Rousey a royal ass-kicking!! HH fought an incredible fight, absolutely hit her with every tool in the box--lefts, rights, knees, elbows, and finally a swinging roundhouse kick that Bruce Lee would've been proud of. WOW!! I hear talk about a rematch but right now I can't see it happening. Rousey almost got killed. And BTW, she fought a ridiculously stupid fight. For what reason did she not make Holm come and get her? She would've had a much better chance of getting her to the mat where she excels.

indio

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    I believe ESPN probably meant the most significant upset in UFC history. This one was a stunner. Holm gave Rousey a royal ass-kicking!! HH fought an incredible fight, absolutely hit her with every tool in the box--lefts, rights, knees, elbows, and finally a swinging roundhouse kick that Bruce Lee would've been proud of. WOW!! I hear talk about a rematch but right now I can't see it happening. Rousey almost got killed. And BTW, she fought a ridiculously stupid fight. For what reason did she not make Holm come and get her? She would've had a much better chance of getting her to the mat where she excels.
    That certainly could be a valid point, but the fact that they introduced that point by showing the "closing" odds at the Westage and talking about the odds to validate that point means they are open to be corrected since Dillashaw was a larger underdog as far as odds go. Obviously, this was a much bigger upset in the bigger picture of significance and public awareness and dare I say it, "historical relevance", but If they would of have portrayed it that way, and not used the odds to make their claim, I would have had no reason to make a gripe.

indio

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    I believe they said the biggest in UFC title history, which it may be.
    Barao vs. Dillashaw was also a UFC title fight, and Dillashaw was a larger underdog. Obviously, Rousy/Holm had more significance for a lot of reasons, but it wasn't a bigger upset as far as closing line odds are concerned.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
    Oh Rousey survived last night? Thought she died for sure.
    If not for herb she may actually have...

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

I got a small piece of Holm when she was around +1300.

Holm was between 13:1 and 10:1 up until the last few days before the fight when ppl must have dropped some big cash on her to get her down to 8:1.

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14032

well I guess the women rousey beat previous to this fight were cans she met a real street fighter yeh books lost big bui will recoup on the nfl

jacktheknife
    jacktheknife's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16826

I hit both of them and Holm was consistently at least +1000 across all online books, Dillashaw topped out at around +750.