jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Poor kid always in trouble

He is a winner..I can care less what he does as long as he wins and covers

sipawitz
    sipawitz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 583

Chicago Sun Times also reporting on this

Nice going naysayers, I knew this was true when I posted the thread this morning

You don't penetrate with Harvey Levin and his crew, when's the last time they reported on Kim Kardashian sucking a black rooster erroneously

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Poor kid always in trouble

black kids start with 2 strikes against them

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Its gotta be hard being black

buddha
    buddha's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by etothep View Post
    jj posting immediately after this was a perfect juxtaposition
    How many of you had to Google juxtaposition?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/07/jam...tmzs-accuracy/

We weren’t going to talk about the Jameis Winston “gambling” rumors that originated four days ago from someone known as Incarcerated Bob, who we have encountered on things like the unfounded Tahj Boyd gambling rumors. You can read more about David Purdum’s interactions with Incarcerated Bob from last year, which gives a good sense of what type of source we’re dealing with. There’s also this site which tracked his predictions on free agent and player stuff and found that he does not do as well as claimed as an insider.

Even after Clay Travis wrote about them yesterday at his FOX Sports-hosted domain, we weren’t going to cover it. Travis wrote about allegations of point shaving coming from a gambling website, ultimately saying that he didn’t believe that Jameis Winston was dumb enough to do it.

Ultimately, I just don’t believe it’s possible that Jameis Winston could be this dumb. That’s despite the fact that Winston has clearly made very dumb decisions before. There’s no way Winston was shaving points, right?

But the story is out there, you guys can read it for yourselves and make your own determination.

Judging by the rapidity with which this story has spread throughout the Internet, is there anything that the average college football fan believes Jameis Winston wouldn’t do? It says a lot about Winston’s reputation that hundreds of thousands of you see this point-shaving story and immediately think, “Yeah, that sounds plausible.”

Then TMZ ran the story today, saying that “[n]ew reports have surfaced alleging Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston was involved in a point shaving scheme to help an old high school teammate win a $5,000 bet.” There is no link to whose reports those are. There is no specific reference or any indication that TMZ actually has a source. The assumption has been that TMZ merely passed along the “report” from Incarcerated Bob.

I contacted TMZ to see if they had any response, because the “report” was not linked or identified, and the story was attributed to “TMZ Staff.” I wanted to know whether it relied on any additional information other than what was in the original posting by Incarcerated Bob. TMZ provided no official comment on the source of their report.

Unlike Travis’s piece, TMZ did not provide any thoughts or opinions on the “reports,” merely passing on that they existed (and then updating to say that they contacted the FBI). This is the same outlet that has done some great work in nailing two of the biggest sports off-field stories this year: the Donald Sterling recording and Ray Rice tape, two stories that mainstream outlets might not have advanced in the same way.

It’s also one that has gotten plenty wrong, such as reporting about a bar incident involving Mike Evans that was originally reported as current, but got time/place wrong, and having many of the initial details involving an incident with Colin Kaepernick wrong. Though they deserve a lot of credit for bringing the Ray Rice elevator surveillance tape to light, their two most prominent producers later issued contradictory reports hours apart from each other as to whether or not the NFL had seen it before it went public.

Nevertheless, TMZ putting today’s piece out there pushed the Jameis story to a whole new level. We can certainly question the ethics of this–possibly citing a report from someone with the reputation of Incarcerated Bob without citation–but for an outlet like TMZ, who has been in the middle of so many big stories, they now own it by not allowing consumers to judge the credibility of the underlying source.

I also spoke with Clay Travis about the decision to post on the internet rumors involving Jameis Winston, and what went into deciding whether to post on a rumor that was gaining traction in the recesses of the internet.

“We’ve done stories on Internet rumors before if they attain enough attention that it’s impossible to ignore them,” Travis told the Big Lead. “For instance I wrote on the Internet rumor that 2011 LSU tanked the BCS title game against Bama over a fissure in the team over quarterback play. Basically, I trust my readers to decide for themselves whether to believe a rumor. I’ll give them my opinion, but if hundreds of thousands of people are reading and sharing the story, it’s reached a critical mass online to be referenced.”

Travis also mentioned Auburn paying players through slot machines that was out there, along with a Cooper Manning story that derived from a Sports Pickle (a satire site) article, but was circulated by plenty of people believing it to be true.

“The SEC is rife with all sorts of conspiracy theories. We get them all the time. I just think it’s kind of a fascinating question, do you give them a legitimacy when you know that hundreds of thousands of people are reading and discussing them, by discussing them further? Or do you kind of shine sunlight on them, to make people aware that stories like that exist. My opinion is you make people aware that stories like that exist. If they achieve that level of sharing, it’s probably a sign that a lot of people believe it to be true.”

“I understand the argument otherwise, but this isn’t 1968, when one person in charge of a newspaper decides what the news is and if that person kills the story it never emerges,” Travis said. “Internet stories bubble up, legit or not. If you don’t address them in some way because you don’t think they’re “real stories” then you end up with a John Kerry Swift Boat mess, where a schism develops between what people believe to be true outside of the mainstream and what’s actually true.”

It’s an interesting question in this case, because I fall on the side, because of the underlying source here, of concern about legitimizing a story that is not ready to be given further authority. It’s a constant question to consider in this age where information can move so quickly, and can come from any number of sources in real time–a balancing of legitimizing a story rather than shining a light on something that is swelling.

Tomahawk Nation actually went through the game film, by the way, and found that, while the numbers and teammate performance changed, Winston’s play was similar each half. Not that you should be surprised or have to look further into this given the source, but the claims of shaving are dubious anyway.

At the very least, if Travis is going to heighten visibility on something written by Incarcerated Bob then he should disclose near the top that the source has a very questionable reputation. A vast majority of his readers — and TMZ’s — are not ones who reflexively know not to trust anything that originates there. When asked about that, though, Travis said that he had never previously crossed Internet paths with Incarcerated Bob, was unaware of him, and only became aware of this story through all the people sending this particular story over the last several days.

For what it’s worth, TMZ has now come out with two more stories. One where TMZ says Jameis’ teammates say there is no way he shaved points. Another where TMZ reports that UAB is looking into allegations that Chris Rabb, a defensive end at the school and the person identified in the original rumor as having placed the Louisville first half bet, was involved in gambling that would affect his eligibility.

Of course they are. The tail is wagging the dog now. TMZ passes on a rumor, based on something reported by Incarcerated Bob, and appearing on Fox Sports. It gains even more traction than it otherwise had. Any school doing due diligence would therefore have to do a basic inquiry once the rumors got so large, allowing TMZ to follow up with a report that the school is doing just that–looking into rumors that are appearing everywhere. This in turn gives the appearance of legitimacy to a report based on Incarcerated Bob.

In reality, we’ve learned nothing so far. The sun remains to be shined on just how we got here, whether there is any fire here at all with all the manufactured smoke, and then we get to do it again next week. There’s never a shortage of things on the internet, or things that people will believe about Jameis Winston at this point.

Clay Travis, Florida State, gambling allegations, Jameis Winston, TMZ, College Football, Media Gossip/Musings
    NEXT

buddha

Quote Originally Posted by sipawitz View Post
    Best helmet in football
    Looks like the Terminator's helmet from when The Terminator was an L.A. cop.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Either this kid is bad news or he has a bad luck magnet on his ass.

jjgold

Jamie Winston sells newspapers

One of the most popular and engaging figures in recent college football

buddha

*crickets* on FSU lines early week going forward cuz no one lay wagers 'til 5 mins. before gametime cuz J. Winston related implosion possible, whether he did anything or not. Ripe scenario for line manipulation by any who care to put a "story" out there? New & interesting phenomenon i.e.: betting into a potentially volatile line. Have we ever seen anything like this before, in this regard, week to week?

sipawitz
    sipawitz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 583

Quote Originally Posted by buddha View Post
    Looks like the Terminator's helmet from when The Terminator was an L.A. cop.
    I see it

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jameis Winston makes Johnny Manziel look like a Rhodes Scholar.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Jameis Winston makes Johnny Manziel look like a Rhodes Scholar.
    yes

LT you can get yourself in trouble here if not true..lawsuit

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    yes

LT you can get yourself in trouble here if not true..lawsuit
    Not true at all, I credited the source.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

Manziel isn't the least bit stupid.

mjerni12
    mjerni12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 435

This story is total bull. If it was true he would out of foot ball. And there is no news from any news agency at all. Dont you think if it was true the real news agency would be all over this.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by mjerni12 View Post
    This story is total bull. If it was true he would out of foot ball. And there is no news from any news agency at all. Dont you think if it was true the real news agency would be all over this.
    People know this man but you can take your common sense and shove it up your you know what pal, no place for your phucking sane rationale. So what he is held out for crab legs, saying right in the p#%@y, signing balls allegations we all know gambling is a far less transgression than any of those things.

briedward
    briedward's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3395

Jameis Winston is the greatest college QB ever if he's able to shave points in the first half while ensuring an undefeated record. Very tough to go undefeated, even tougher to do so while shaving points.

Gonz312
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Gonz312's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8370

Whether or true or not..it amazes me that someone who does stupid things one after another is beloved by so many which just makes him feel like he an get away with anything. The dude needs a reality check in the biggest way.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

send him immediately to cincy. We are used to out athletes gambling. I'm sure pete can give him some tips.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

S.E.C. is worried about not winning the title again. This shit reminds me of the s.w.c. in the 70's. Where boosters from one school would pay athletes from another school and then tell on themselves to get other school in trouble.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 326

Just what is this guy thinking. His friend should just have waited till he makes to the NFL and then he could have paid him 5k easy. Jesus
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SBRMAN23

GT21Megatron
    GT21Megatron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6199

Naggers
    Points Awarded:

texhooper gave GT21Megatron 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Snicklefritz gave GT21Megatron 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Pete0 gave GT21Megatron 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

kid is a dumbfukk

wont even make the nfl in time to be a bust like jamarcus russell

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17104

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    A lot of this could be written off as a series of coincidental events, except for the fact that we just received confirmation of a [W U] transaction processed and paid out to a person named “Jameis Winston” directly before kickoff time against Louisville in the amount of $1,900. We here at DYST don’t want to make any accusations, but the facts remain the facts. Jameis Winston’s former high school teammate and current best friend (Chris Rabb) made his biggest bet ever ($5,500) on a game where Jameis played the worst half of his college career.

Source: DYST Now
    so is this newspaper thinking winston told the coach he would be skipping warm ups to take care of a few errands before the game and be there near kickoff? and its a fact that the guy made the bet because someone said so? fact checker for that newspaper has gotta be an easy job.

Tommy Karate
    Update your status
    Tommy Karate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12940

prob is true knowing this idiot; i would never draft him - for several reasons...

swag1982
    swag1982's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2378

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    S.E.C. is worried about not winning the title again. This shit reminds me of the s.w.c. in the 70's. Where boosters from one school would pay athletes from another school and then tell on themselves to get other school in trouble.
    Very logical

swag1982
    swag1982's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2378

Tmz is garbage they should stick to celebrity harassing and levin should go back to ambulance chasing

jjgold

story not true
    with internet you can say anything and it flies

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

2am in Jersey

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19315

He's done if it is true.

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Quote Originally Posted by buddha View Post
    How many of you had to Google juxtaposition?
    Guilty

Ballerholic
    Ballerholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1806

Can't be true

First 1234 Last