easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

also worth mentioning his 2 months older than Aaron Rodgers.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11162

So I keep asking you, what 22 year old would you take??? Who should have the Browns taken instead? You haven't mentioned one person??? Maybe you just don't like QBs???

Maybe the Browns should have taken Jason Campbell?? Who was 22 years old, drafted late in first round like Weeden and has bounced around the league the past 8 years. Oh, by the way, he now is the backup QB to Weeden for the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    There is a reason you hardly ever see a QB or really any player in any sport even play at 40 years old.....Most guys in any sport start to break down around 37-38 years old....If you don't agree, tell me what age is the norm for guys' bodies to start failing them? Curious to hear that one

I wasn't talking about Andrew Luck's talent.....How bout a guy like Joe Flacco who was drafted right around Weeden's draft spot......If both guys physically hold up the same amount of years, the Ravens will have gotten an extra 7 years of prime play

I'm just disagreeing with taking a near 30 year old in the NFL Draft in the 1st round, PERIOD.....Could be Weeden or anyone else

With that being said, Weeden turns out to play well, then it's worth it so time will tell

pulledclear
    pulledclear's Avatar Become A Pro!

AHHHHHHHHHH no he is not.

Junkyard Dog
    Get up and Get it
    Junkyard Dog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1911

if this fukkin guy wins a super bowl as the starting qb, ill cut my pinky off live here on sbr.

Mac4Lyfe

Bernard Hopkins is 48 and still boxing...

George Blanda was 48 as an NFL QB. Steve Deberg, Warren Moon, and Vinny Testeverde were all 44. Doug Flutie was 43.

Weeden could play until 48. He could have a career ending injury in practice tomorrow just like every player in the league could have. This is football. You play the players that give you the best chance to win. If Weeden takes the Browns to the playoffs, that alone would be worth a first round pick.

The Browns haven't been in the playoffs in over 10 years. They haven't won a playoff game in 15 years. They also haven't made it to the AFC Championship game in 20 years and of course they have never won the AFC championship game. If Weeden can accomplish any of these feats he will be A-Okay in my book. As a Browns fan, I've seen many 1st round picks go to waste. He wouldn't be the first if he busted out, nor will he be the last. The truth is that most 1st round QBs bust out. It's the nature of the game.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    So I keep asking you, what 22 year old would you take??? Who should have the Browns taken instead? You haven't mentioned one person??? Maybe you just don't like QBs???

Maybe the Browns should have taken Jason Campbell?? Who was 22 years old, drafted late in first round like Weeden and has bounced around the league the past 8 years. Oh, by the way, he now is the backup QB to Weeden for the Browns.
    At the time I wouldn't have taken a QB at that spot because there was no value.....I would have taken a shot at a middle round guy later on like Wilson, Foles, or Cousins to develop with a rebuilding team

No one thought Weeden was going in the 1st round, it was a desperation move by a Cleveland regime that were looking to keep their jobs (Weeden was seen as more polished or pro ready from the start due to his age and maturity).....The Browns still sucked last season and they lost their jobs

I might be proven wrong that Weeden was a bad pick because he looks pretty decent so far but I just personally wouldn't take such an old player that early in the draft......It's really nothing against Weeden as a player, it's more about the idea/philosophy in general

Mac4Lyfe

Matt Stafford - 1st pick in the draft... 17 -28 in four seasons.

Weeden already has 5 wins in 1 season. Slightly ahead of a number 1 pick. Perspective...

Mac4Lyfe

What's value? How do you calculate value? I've already said that if he leads the Browns to the playoffs that would be value enough for me as a fan? What do you want to see out of him?

No one saw Tim Tebow going into the 1st round either or EJ Manuel or Christian Ponder, etc, etc, etc... But if you were paying attention Weeden was moving up many teams drafts boards. Most thought he'd be a 2nd rounder early on and a solid 3rd round pick but THE ONLY REASON HE wasn't a solid top 5 pick was because of his age. Think about that? Every GM in the league said that he was the most NFL ready QB behind Luck and RGIII. So the only thing holding him back was his age.

The Browns did not suck last year. They challenged just about every team they played last year. Go back and see how many first halves the Browns were leading. They played tough hard football with a first year QB that struggled but still won 5 games. Go back and look at all the top QBs in the league and how many games they won their first year. Anyone paying attention to the Browns could see that Colt McCoy wasn't the answer even though the team was heading in the right direction.

The Browns needed an NFL ready QB. Please name me who they could have gotten any more ready then Weeden. Foles? Weeden has had better stats with much fewer weapons last year. Russell Wilson? Most GM's passed on him, very few people knew he would have a breakout rookie season. Kirk Cousins? Who the heck knows what kind of success he will have. He's a still a reach for any team right now and was considered one when Washington picked him up.

So far, you've only discounted Weeden because of age? So let me ask you. Would you have gone after Peyton Manning last year at 37?

At the time I wouldn't have taken a QB at that spot because there was no value.....I would have taken a shot at a middle round guy later on like Wilson, Foles, or Cousins to develop with a rebuilding team

No one thought Weeden was going in the 1st round, it was a desperation move by a Cleveland regime that were looking to keep their jobs (Weeden was seen as more polished or pro ready from the start due to his age and maturity).....The Browns still sucked last season and they lost their jobs

I might be proven wrong that Weeden was a bad pick because he looks pretty decent so far but I just personally wouldn't take such an old player that early in the draft......It's really nothing against Weeden as a player, it's more about the idea/philosophy in general

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

As a Browns fan, I thought it was a huge reach initially. I'm now a huge believer as I've seen him grow in leaps and bounds. The guy knows the playbook and can read defenses already. If he gives the Browns 8 - 10 good years that would be awesome. I think the Browns have a solid shot at winning the Central and that's already saying a lot.

8-10 good years? Lol

Any team would take that from anyone

Nowisgone pretending he knows sports again

Someone should bump some of his previous football threads
    Last edited by Robber; 08-16-13 at 01:42 AM.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

mac4lyfe is the biggest homer ive ever seen

this niqqa goes HARD for brandon weeden lmaooooo
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PAYTON20

PAYTON20
    PAYTON20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 770

so why not just hammer the fukk outta Browns Pk em +105 over the Phins Week 1??

I actually like this bet quite a bit

DoggyStyle
    Stackin' Stacks
    DoggyStyle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

Quote Originally Posted by PAYTON20 View Post

I agree on this! Browns are definetly a sleeper team and will shock people imo.

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

Weeden was the 22nd pick....not top 10. Huge difference as no draft has 20+ can't miss guys....usually maybe 8-10 or so. I can almost guarantee that atleast half the 22nd picks aren't real difference makers. I like what Cleveland is up to as well but I'm pretty invested in the Bengals so they need to crush that division this year.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

You got your starting QB at #22, making 1.5 million.

That's tremendous value.

Mac4Lyfe

Moneylinedawg.... isn't winning the bottom line? If Weeden takes the Browns to the playoffs one time in the next 3 years that's a big win for me. If he actually wins a playoff game or takes them to the AFC championship game or God forbid go to the Superbowl, he would do more than any other QB in the modern era of the Browns. My expectations are realistic. Your expectations seem very inflated. You want a guy to give you an extra 7 years and I'm telling you that doesn't happen very often. Most don't even get to 7 years, so an extra 7 years is a pipe dream.

I've asked you several times to name all these QBs taken late in the 1st that had a LONG career in the NFL??? You mentioned Flacco. He's been in the league only 5 years. He hasn't even been in the league 7 years and you think you can get another 7 years down the line??? We have no idea how much longer Flacco will be in the league. It could be 10, it could be 15, it could be tomorrow. Your bringing up players who haven't even done what you're hoping they do... Stay in the league for a long time. Check your facts, do some research and I think you will readjust your expectations.

For every Peyton Manning (who hasn't been in the league for 15 years yet), there's 100 other guys who will bust out in their first 2 or 3 years. The average NFL career is 3.5 years and you're worried about an extra 7 years??? Can we just let Weeden get through this year first???

I don't even want to get in a discussion about growing old in sports. Everyone is different, there's always an exception to the rule. This is the NFL. Nothing is guaranteed. You are sorely mistaken if you think you can predict a players career. Guys get injured all the time. Sometimes it's career ending, many times it makes them a shell of themselves and they can no longer perform at a high level. This is a now league. You don't have time to think about a decade from now.
    Last edited by Mac4Lyfe; 08-16-13 at 11:02 AM.

Mac4Lyfe

I'm going to give you guys free money. Play and even parlay Browns first half's this season. They are a great 1st half team.

Quote Originally Posted by PAYTON20 View Post

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

If weeden can take the browns to the superbowl much less win it..half the population of northeast Ohio may die right on the spot..their life will be fulfilled

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

initially thought it was a horrible pick by the browns...last ditch effort by holmgren to get some spark.....still not sold......but there are signs of growth....gordon and little really need to step up and mature for weeden.....good offensive line there......things are looking up for t rich to explode

Mac4Lyfe

They have to stay healthy. 2 OG's hurt right now. Freaking mash unit in last nights game (5 guys went out injured). RB Lewis broke his fibula which is a tough loss as he was a solid backup to TR. Mingo bruised his lung, hopefully he'll be back soon. The offensive line is very good but can't afford any injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    initially thought it was a horrible pick by the browns...last ditch effort by holmgren to get some spark.....still not sold......but there are signs of growth....gordon and little really need to step up and mature for weeden.....good offensive line there......things are looking up for t rich to explode

chopperocker
    Hang on baby, cuz life's a BITCH!!!
    chopperocker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55608

one thing Weeden did was keep pace with his 2013 rookie QB class that finished a combined 16-5 ATS as Home Dogs. I like the addition of Mingo at OLB, but they need more passing ypg.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

PLAYER TO RECORD MOST PASSING YARDS IN REG SEASON
    70111 AARON RODGERS
    70112 ANDREW LUCK
    70113 ANDY DALTON
    70114 BEN ROETHLISBERGER
    70115 CAM NEWTON
    70116 COLIN KAEPERNICK
    70117 DREW BREES
    70118 ELI MANNING
    70119 JAY CUTLER
    70120 JOE FLACCO
    70122 MATT RYAN
    70123 MATT SCHAUB
    70124 MATTHEW STAFFORD
    70126 PEYTON MANNING
    70127 PHILIP RIVERS
    70128 ROBERT GRIFFIN III
    70129 RUSSELL WILSON
    70130 SAM BRADFORD
    70131 TOM BRADY
    70132 TONY ROMO
    70133 THE FIELD (ANY OTHER PLAYER)

field +2500 easy money

Mac4Lyfe

^^ The Browns are still a run oriented team. I don't see anyway that Weeden can break the top 10 in passing yards. That's a baaaaaad bet.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog View Post
    if this fukkin guy wins a super bowl as the starting qb, ill cut my pinky off live here on sbr.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    PLAYER TO RECORD MOST PASSING YARDS IN REG SEASON
    70111 AARON RODGERS
    70112 ANDREW LUCK
    70113 ANDY DALTON
    70114 BEN ROETHLISBERGER
    70115 CAM NEWTON
    70116 COLIN KAEPERNICK
    70117 DREW BREES
    70118 ELI MANNING
    70119 JAY CUTLER
    70120 JOE FLACCO
    70122 MATT RYAN
    70123 MATT SCHAUB
    70124 MATTHEW STAFFORD
    70126 PEYTON MANNING
    70127 PHILIP RIVERS
    70128 ROBERT GRIFFIN III
    70129 RUSSELL WILSON
    70130 SAM BRADFORD
    70131 TOM BRADY
    70132 TONY ROMO
    70133 THE FIELD (ANY OTHER PLAYER)

field +2500 easy money
    Tony Romo +2000 for the limit, with Callahan calling the shots, dez brant and Austin miles, this line is off

chopperocker

^^ The Browns are still a run oriented team. I don't see anyway that Weeden can break the top 10 in passing yards. That's a baaaaaad bet.
    NFL Team Rushing Offense Statistics

2012 24th
    2011 28th
    2010 20th
    2009 8th
    2008 26th

Mac4Lyfe

^^^ That stat really doesn't say much. All that says is that the Browns offense sucked because their passing was 19th too.

The Browns tried to establish the run in order to setup the run. They were sandbagged by RB injuries that limited the amount of touches but they were very run oriented. I do think they will get a lot more short dump off passes to the RB's with Norv and that should help Weedens stats but i don't see him putting up Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers type of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by chopperocker View Post
    NFL Team Rushing Offense Statistics

2012 24th
    2011 28th
    2010 20th
    2009 8th
    2008 26th

chopperocker

the Browns never seem to have a favorable schedule having faced only 1 pre-bye opponent in the last 5 years(prime spot for catching opponents that are asleep at the wheel, in comparison the Patriots have faced 7 opponents that were pre-bye last 5 years), yet facing 6 opponents that were post-bye(off extra rest and prep) last 5 years(in comparison the Patriots have faced only 2 post-bye opponents last 5 years). the 1 scheduling situation they seem to do well in is @ Home vs West Coast teams, 8-2 SU and ATS last 10 years.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Moneylinedawg.... isn't winning the bottom line? If Weeden takes the Browns to the playoffs one time in the next 3 years that's a big win for me. If he actually wins a playoff game or takes them to the AFC championship game or God forbid go to the Superbowl, he would do more than any other QB in the modern era of the Browns. My expectations are realistic. Your expectations seem very inflated. You want a guy to give you an extra 7 years and I'm telling you that doesn't happen very often. Most don't even get to 7 years, so an extra 7 years is a pipe dream.

I've asked you several times to name all these QBs taken late in the 1st that had a LONG career in the NFL??? You mentioned Flacco. He's been in the league only 5 years. He hasn't even been in the league 7 years and you think you can get another 7 years down the line??? We have no idea how much longer Flacco will be in the league. It could be 10, it could be 15, it could be tomorrow. Your bringing up players who haven't even done what you're hoping they do... Stay in the league for a long time. Check your facts, do some research and I think you will readjust your expectations.

For every Peyton Manning (who hasn't been in the league for 15 years yet), there's 100 other guys who will bust out in their first 2 or 3 years. The average NFL career is 3.5 years and you're worried about an extra 7 years??? Can we just let Weeden get through this year first???

I don't even want to get in a discussion about growing old in sports. Everyone is different, there's always an exception to the rule. This is the NFL. Nothing is guaranteed. You are sorely mistaken if you think you can predict a players career. Guys get injured all the time. Sometimes it's career ending, many times it makes them a shell of themselves and they can no longer perform at a high level. This is a now league. You don't have time to think about a decade from now.
    All things being equal, taking a quarterback at 22/23 years old vs a qb at 29 years old or whatever it is......You have to expect you'll get an extra 6 years ON AVERAGE with the young guy as long as both turn to be franchise QB types.....Not sure how you're not understanding that

If Weeden gets the Browns to be a playoff team for a few years then I will agree that the pick was worth it......All I'm saying was that taking a guy that old in the first round, he better be the real deal or you look really foolish

Love them against Miami opening day

Mac4Lyfe

I keep asking you to please name all those franchise QBs taking 22/30??? Where are all those QB's that have been in the league >7 years taken in those spots??? Where are you going to get an extra 6 years when you can't even show me a QB that made it 6 years in that spot??? You're chasing white, one eyed Rhinoceros. They don't exist. So why are you trying to find them and why are you trying to compare what you can't find to Weeden? How do you expect me to understand what doesn't happen???

All things being equal, taking a quarterback at 22/23 years old vs a qb at 29 years old or whatever it is......You have to expect you'll get an extra 6 years ON AVERAGE with the young guy as long as both turn to be franchise QB types.....Not sure how you're not understanding that

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Guy is a 2nd year player at fukkin 29 years old

How can the Browns waste a 1st round pick on someone this old with no real amazing ability?? Terrible use of resources and a strange move for a rebuilding team like the Browns at the time.....He's not that bad but his ceiling is very low as his physical prime will soon be over
    I always hated that argument.

A few years back the Houston Texans drafted a 19 year old DT in the first round. Wow, if he's this great at 19, imagine how good he'll bet at 25! Do you know where he is now? Not with the Texans.

What about all those young teams the Lions had with a top 5 1st round pick QB and 1st round pick receivers?

The Browns want to win now. Weeden could potentially play 10 years. How many QB's last more than 10 years with a team anyway? Is Matt Stafford going to be a Lion for 10 more years? Is Cutler going to be a Bear for 10 more years? Is Josh Freeman going to be a Buc for 10 more years?

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Browns will never win a Super Bowl.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

I keep asking you to please name all those franchise QBs taking 22/30??? Where are all those QB's that have been in the league >7 years taken in those spots??? Where are you going to get an extra 6 years when you can't even show me a QB that made it 6 years in that spot??? You're chasing white, one eyed Rhinoceros. They don't exist. So why are you trying to find them and why are you trying to compare what you can't find to Weeden? How do you expect me to understand what doesn't happen???
    Drew Brees round 2
    Kaepernick
    Russell Wilson

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Weeden is not a franchise QB yet.....If you are drafting a QB that high you damn well expect him to be your future for years......You had JP Losman then Aaron Rodgers then Brady Quinn then Joe Flacco in recent years in that draft area......2 were complete busts, 2 will be with their teams for life, barring injury

By drafting Weeden, Cleveland already knows that his expected prime years in the league will be significantly shorter than another "average" rookie, that's it.....It's not debatable. And yes there are exceptions, but since we can't tell the future of how Weeden will age, we just gotta go with the expected number

I already agreed that if he improves from last season and leads Cleveland to the playoffs a few times, then he was well worth it......

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    I always hated that argument.

A few years back the Houston Texans drafted a 19 year old DT in the first round. Wow, if he's this great at 19, imagine how good he'll bet at 25! Do you know where he is now? Not with the Texans.

What about all those young teams the Lions had with a top 5 1st round pick QB and 1st round pick receivers?

The Browns want to win now. Weeden could potentially play 10 years. How many QB's last more than 10 years with a team anyway? Is Matt Stafford going to be a Lion for 10 more years? Is Cutler going to be a Bear for 10 more years? Is Josh Freeman going to be a Buc for 10 more years?
    I'm not saying just pick someone because they're younger

Since we don't know who's going to be good and who's going to bust in the draft, I'd rather roll the dice on a young QB of similar ability because IF they work out, you get an extra "good 6-7 years"......

Of course, if you thought 29 year old Weeden was MUCH better than the next guy and the Browns really thought he was franchise quality, I get it

It all comes down to picking the right players obviously, we can all agree on that

Mac4Lyfe

First of all, I was talking about QB's drafted 20-30. Of course you can find value in later rounds like a Tom Brady. Brees was the 2nd QB taken that year so you would expect some success BUT you are proving my point with him.

Brees was originally a Charger. 4 years later he leaves them for New Orleans as SD put a bunch of money drafting Philip Rivers. Ask the Chargers and Drew Brees was a huge bust for them. Plus he hasn't been in the league 15 years like MoneyLineDawg keeps mentioning. Thanks for playing.

Kaepernick's been in the league 2 years. Plus he was a 2nd rounder. Did you read my posts? I said name me a QB taken late in the first round (~20-30) starting in the league 7 years later with the team that drafted them??? Who knows where CK will be 7-10 years from now??

Russell Wilson was taken in round 3. He had a huge knock on him by being too short (like Drew Brees), very similar knock to Weeden being too old. Where will Wilson and Weeden be 5, 7, 10 years from now? Who the hell knows but it's the same risk taking any of these guys. No one knows if these guys will be franchise players. Hell, they may be like Brees and become a franchise QB for some other team.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Drew Brees round 2
    Kaepernick
    Russell Wilson

First 12345 Last