1. #1
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 56,760
    Betpoints: 21501

    Remembering the 1971 Pittsburgh Pirates

    For 15 seasons, Roberto Clemente was overlooked when being compared to the best stars in baseball. Even with several Gold Glove awards, four batting titles, and an MVP award, he was often ignored as a superstar, but for seven days in October 1971, Clemente showed the world that he was "The Great One."

    Clemente would have a World Series to remember that year by batting .414 with 12 hits, two doubles and two homers in a seven-game triumph over the heavily favored Baltimore Orioles. He also made key defensive plays that kept Oriole base runners in check during the Series, including a memorable throw he made to almost get Merv Rettenmund out at third for a double play.


    The season, however was not all about Clemente, as the 'Buccos led as a team offensively in at-bats (5,674), runs (788), hits (1,555), triples (61), home runs (154), runs batted in (744), and slugging average (.416).


    Willie Stargell led the offensive charge by leading the National League in home runs with 48 while driving in 125 runs. First baseman Bob Robertson had a stellar year, as well, by walloping 26 homers, driving in 72 with a .271 average. He would receive the NLCS MVP by smacking four homers and driving in six with a .438 average against the San Francisco Giants. Also included in the offensive performances were catcher Manny Sanguillen's .319 average, and Clemente's .341 average which included 13 HR'S and 86 RBI'S.


    The pitching for the Pirates had some superstars of its own with Dock Ellis, who was starting pitcher for the All-Star Game that year in Detroit. Ellis compiled a 19-9 record with a 3.05 ERA for the 'Buccos in 1971, and Steve Blass had a 15-8 record, plus a 2.85 ERA and league leading five shutouts. Blass would pitch two complete game victories with thirteen strikeouts and 1.00 ERA in Games 3 and 7 of the World Series. Reliever Dave Giusti had a league leading 30 saves with a 2.93 ERA .


    The Pirates would have some unknown players rise to stardom during the postseason. Rookie Bruce Kison (6-5, 3.41 ERA) pitched six and a third scoreless innings in a Game 4 World Series comeback victory, Nelson Briles (8-4, 3.04 ERA) delivered a two-hit, complete game shutout in Game 5 of the World Series, and Bob Johnson (9-10, 3.45 ERA), who, in an emergency pitching change prior to the game, threw a seven strikeout, five hit, one run performance in Game 3 of the NLCS.


    The 1971 Pirates were led by manager Danny Murtaugh. Murtaugh guided the Pirates that year to a 97-65 record, tops in the NL East. The Pirates, after losing the first game to the San Francisco Giants, destroyed them in four games, and in the World Series, the Pirates plucked the feathers off the Baltimore Orioles in seven games.

  2. #2
    Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-15-11
    Posts: 724

    was that their last world series?

  3. #3
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 56,760
    Betpoints: 21501

    ^
    1979 "We are family" Pirates was the last WS for them.

    They lost those three consecutive NLCS with Bonds in the 90's.

  4. #4
    Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-19-07
    Posts: 29,964
    Betpoints: 235

    Sad news: Vera Clemente, widow of Pittsburgh Pirates legend Roberto Clemente, has passed away at age 81.

  5. #5
    Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-21-15
    Posts: 8,826
    Betpoints: 380

    Didn't Dock admit to pitching while he was trippin balls on Acid?

  6. #6
    RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-24-10
    Posts: 65,214
    Betpoints: 43

    ohh
    Last edited by RudyRuetigger; 11-16-19 at 08:47 PM.

  7. #7
    BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-14-12
    Posts: 3,487
    Betpoints: 108

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    For 15 seasons, Roberto Clemente was overlooked when being compared to the best stars in baseball. Even with several Gold Glove awards, four batting titles, and an MVP award, he was often ignored as a superstar, but for seven days in October 1971, Clemente showed the world that he was "The Great One."

    Clemente would have a World Series to remember that year by batting .414 with 12 hits, two doubles and two homers in a seven-game triumph over the heavily favored Baltimore Orioles. He also made key defensive plays that kept Oriole base runners in check during the Series, including a memorable throw he made to almost get Merv Rettenmund out at third for a double play.


    The season, however was not all about Clemente, as the 'Buccos led as a team offensively in at-bats (5,674), runs (788), hits (1,555), triples (61), home runs (154), runs batted in (744), and slugging average (.416).


    Willie Stargell led the offensive charge by leading the National League in home runs with 48 while driving in 125 runs. First baseman Bob Robertson had a stellar year, as well, by walloping 26 homers, driving in 72 with a .271 average. He would receive the NLCS MVP by smacking four homers and driving in six with a .438 average against the San Francisco Giants. Also included in the offensive performances were catcher Manny Sanguillen's .319 average, and Clemente's .341 average which included 13 HR'S and 86 RBI'S.


    The pitching for the Pirates had some superstars of its own with Dock Ellis, who was starting pitcher for the All-Star Game that year in Detroit. Ellis compiled a 19-9 record with a 3.05 ERA for the 'Buccos in 1971, and Steve Blass had a 15-8 record, plus a 2.85 ERA and league leading five shutouts. Blass would pitch two complete game victories with thirteen strikeouts and 1.00 ERA in Games 3 and 7 of the World Series. Reliever Dave Giusti had a league leading 30 saves with a 2.93 ERA .


    The Pirates would have some unknown players rise to stardom during the postseason. Rookie Bruce Kison (6-5, 3.41 ERA) pitched six and a third scoreless innings in a Game 4 World Series comeback victory, Nelson Briles (8-4, 3.04 ERA) delivered a two-hit, complete game shutout in Game 5 of the World Series, and Bob Johnson (9-10, 3.45 ERA), who, in an emergency pitching change prior to the game, threw a seven strikeout, five hit, one run performance in Game 3 of the NLCS.


    The 1971 Pirates were led by manager Danny Murtaugh. Murtaugh guided the Pirates that year to a 97-65 record, tops in the NL East. The Pirates, after losing the first game to the San Francisco Giants, destroyed them in four games, and in the World Series, the Pirates plucked the feathers off the Baltimore Orioles in seven games.
    My dad was a big Clemente fan.

    Sad, Clemente was gone a little over a year after his great 1971 World Series.

  8. #8
    WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-19-10
    Posts: 11,615
    Betpoints: 108

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    Didn't Dock admit to pitching while he was trippin balls on Acid?
    Threw a no hitter on it!

  9. #9
    Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-21-15
    Posts: 8,826
    Betpoints: 380

    Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Threw a no hitter on it!
    That's what I thought...
    Old school Baby!!!

  10. #10
    Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-01-11
    Posts: 43,254
    Betpoints: 14

    any chance they sign Gerrit Cole?

  11. #11
    str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-12-09
    Posts: 9,089
    Betpoints: 336

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    Didn't Dock admit to pitching while he was trippin balls on Acid?
    LSD

  12. #12
    PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-11-10
    Posts: 6,766
    Betpoints: 2205

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    any chance they sign Gerrit Cole?
    The owners do not spend money so that will never happen. In fact 10 years ago I "heard" that they were one of the more profitable teams before the 1st pitch is even thrown in the spring.

    as far as Clemente is concerned (did not read the article above but if Nash posted it, it is true) he was not treated with hero status until he died
    in fact he was ridiculed and often treated worse than most people treat their dogs

    no Bear, they ain`t signing anyone that cost more than a dime and in 3 years will be a AAA team, that would be cool

  13. #13
    PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-11-10
    Posts: 6,766
    Betpoints: 2205

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Sad news: Vera Clemente, widow of Pittsburgh Pirates legend Roberto Clemente, has passed away at age 81.
    often read threads from the bottom especially when standing on my head

    nice bump on old thread

    sad news

  14. #14
    Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-09-11
    Posts: 28,621
    Betpoints: 7889


  15. #15
    Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-09-11
    Posts: 28,621
    Betpoints: 7889

    ^ ^ ^

    He actually pitched a NO NO

    Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    LSD

Top