thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

dukie parents at every game

like its a hs team. seriously dont think any other team has multiple sets of parents at every single game.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6483

white players = rich booster/undivorced parents

mh217
    mh217's Avatar Become A Pro!

gotta be a great feeling..hope i have a kid one day that i can go watch kick ass..fukers are living the life while we are sweatin out free throws to cover spreads for chump change.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

It's only because their dad's played in the NBA.

There were plenty of UNC parents at the game tonight, but they weren't pro basketball players, which is why ESPN doesn't care to show them.

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    There were plenty of UNC parents at the game tonight.

Only for the players that have a legit shot at the NBA.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

The socioeconomic status of Duke players is far higher than the average college basketball team, and they're much more white as well. Not really a surprise.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    The socioeconomic status of Duke players is far higher than the average college basketball team, and they're much more white as well. Not really a surprise.
    True. But it's the same for UNC, KU, UCLA, and some of the other big programs currently not named Kentucky.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Only for the players that have a legit shot at the NBA.
    Stillman White's parents were there tonight. You think he's got a legit shot in the NBA?

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Stillman White's parents were there tonight. You think he's got a legit shot in the NBA?

What is your point? Are you disputing the obvious? Duke players tend to come from wealthy, supportive families. UNC players tend to fit the black socioeconomic stereotype much closer. It's not racist to acknowledge it.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    What is your point? Are you disputing the obvious? Duke players tend to come from wealthy, supportive families. UNC players tend to fit the black socioeconomic stereotype much closer. It's not racist to acknowledge it.
    No, it's not racist to acknowledge it, it's stupid to acknowledge it because the "trend" you're referring to is bullshit.

Case in point:

Larry Drew: Dad played in the NBA
    Sean May: dad played in the NBA
    Hubert Davis: dad played in the NBA

And then there's the slew of white boy McDonald's All-Americans just like Duke's....

Eric Montross
    Kris Lang
    Bobby Frasor
    Pete Chilcut
    Jeff Lebo
    Tyler Hansbrough
    Tyler Zeller
    The Wear Twins (before they transferred to UCLA)
    etc

Jason/Jeff Capel--one at UNC, one at Duke

Vince Carter was the valedictorian of his high school.

Harrison Barnes was recruited by both Duke and UNC, and he does not fit the lower socio-economic black stereotype.

The trend you're referring to is a load of bullshit propagated by Carolina apologists who want their university to seem more "Democratic" than it actually is, and Duke haters who want to type-cast the Duke players as rich white kids and uncle toms.

There is much greater similarity between Duke's players and UNC's players than there are differences. Granted, UNC might be more willing than Duke to periodically bend their admission standards well below normal to recruit kids who can't read (like Marvin Williams), but it's not because they really want those kids there, they just want to win. But it's not like Duke hasn't been above this either (Sean Dockery, Corey Maggette). The difference is that people want to believe Duke is evil, and UNC is good. And it's crap. They are both full of shit. Trust me. I went to NC State. The only real difference between them is that UNC pretends to be something they aren't, and Duke just doesn't care. That and UNC's kids act like headcases more often than Duke's (IE: Rasheed, Stackhouse, Carter, Rashad McCants).

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

carolina college basketball is fine but why do the charlotte bobcats suck so bad? you think they'd fund a decent team, i just don't get it.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    carolina college basketball is fine but why do the charlotte bobcats suck so bad? you think they'd fund a decent team, i just don't get it.

This is a long story.

A lot of it has to do with the locals not supporting the team because they wanted the franchise to go to ownership group led by Larry Bird and not Bob Johnson.

Then the team picked a stupid mascot and worse colors.

Then they acquired a bunch of showboating me first idiot players who didn't know how to do anything but dunk.

Jordan is slowly turning it around. At least, that's what we're telling ourselves.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Jordan is "bottoming out" the team in hopes of building through the draft. He traded Wallace, and Jackson for peanuts to keep team from being competitive. Its obvious, and not something they are trying to hide.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

It's only because their dad's played in the NBA.

There were plenty of UNC parents at the game tonight, but they weren't pro basketball players, which is why ESPN doesn't care to show them.
    yeah and it was also the biggest game of the year. If u want to play for duke it helps if your dad is a nba coach or if your brothers play in the nba

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    yeah and it was also the biggest game of the year. If u want to play for duke it helps if your dad is a nba coach or if your brothers play in the nba

If you want to play for Duke, it helps to be good.

Every school in America had a chance to take Curry's little brother, nobody gave him an offer. Not even VTech where his dad played. What, you're mad that Duke allowed a kid to transfer in from a D-II school?

I don't get what your problem is.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Jordan is "bottoming out" the team in hopes of building through the draft. He traded Wallace, and Jackson for peanuts to keep team from being competitive. Its obvious, and not something they are trying to hide.
    Maybe. I agree he's trying to rebuild. Not sure he really wants to bottom out. I think he got rid of Wallace because he's not worth franchise money, but that's what he wanted to be paid. Pretty sure they got rid of Jackson because he's a head case who couldn't be incorporated into a team concept with a bunch of young players.

Whatever the case, the team certainly sucks this year. They need a lot. I like Augustin and Gerald Henderson, but I don't think you can be a playoff team if they are you're best two guys. They clearly need help at the 3,4, and 5.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

to me college bball is impenetrable defenses keeping players passing the ball around in a semicircle until someone shoots a 3. i am ignorant as hell about it though and am trying to get into it. totally different than nba in at least 10 ways.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    to me college bball is impenetrable defenses keeping players passing the ball around in a semicircle until someone shoots a 3. i am ignorant as hell about it though and am trying to get into it. totally different than nba in at least 10 ways.
    You must be watching the Big East.

Or the Big Ten.

Some leagues are more physical than others.

I think a lot of it is that the best athletes always go pro, and as a result, the point guard position sucks in college. Every point guard is either too slow an athlete to consistently penetrate, or too young to know how to do it without turning the ball over.

Imagine if John Wall/Brandon Knight were still at UK, Kyrie Irving at Duke, Kemba Walker at UCONN, Josh Selby at Kansas. All those teams would have significantly better flow offensively.

And there are many more others who have left early the last few years,

Darius Morris (Michigan) Soph
    Iman Shumpert (Gtech) Jr
    Eric Bledsoe (UK) FR
    Jrue Holiday (UCLA) FR
    Jeff Teague (Wake Forest) Soph
    DJ Augustin (Texas) so
    Ty Lawson (UNC) Jr
    OJ Mayo (USC) Fr

That's a shitload of point guard talent leaving early, meaning those college teams are constantly in a state of flux and inconsistency on offense. If those guys stayed, the college game would be vastly different.

MJT1212
    ECU Pirates
    MJT1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by freevick View Post
    white players = rich booster/undivorced parents
    bingo!