SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

What ESPN Insider Article would you like to see ?

They banned me from commenting on things because i made fun of Lebron James and the mods deleted it. I then said that i am an ESPN insider, I pay them, therefore, they work for me, so they better never delete my stuff again ... and now i am banned from posting ... F- them. I will post whatever articles you want. just let me know if you see something you wanna read!

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Thanks brah it is appreciated. I will let you know.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

I always wondered who would pay for ESPN

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    I always wondered who would pay for ESPN
    They had a giant sale and I figured why not.

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    There's a great anecdote in the new book "The House Advantage: Playing the odds to Win Big in Business" by Jeff Ma, better known as the inspiration for the bestseller about MIT card counters, "Bringing Down the House." Once his days of beating Vegas in blackjack were over, Ma became an expert at using math to analyze sports data and was hired as a consultant by several teams, including the Oakland A's and the Portland Trail Blazers.

Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
    The BCS gets flak, but you can't expect numbers to be perfect.
    One afternoon he was presenting his breakdowns on NBA prospects to Portland's then-GM Kevin Pritchard. Player after player, Ma could sense that Pritchard was getting a bit frustrated, as the numbers in Ma's reports didn't match up with the info from Pritchard's scouts. Finally Pritchard said, "How can we get your numbers to match our numbers?"

"Well," Ma said, "you don't want our numbers and your numbers to be the same."

The point Ma was making, and that he makes throughout the book, is that, as beautiful as a system steeped in math is, you need to think, observe and be a bit subjective to truly make your system work for you. What the Blazers scouts were seeing -- Did the player rack up big numbers against weaker opponents? Did he interact well with teammates? -- was no less valuable than the more objective approach Ma presented. That's true whether you're in the business of finance, selling widgets or making bets on sports. There is lots of data out there, and there are lots of ways to break it down. What Ma explains is how to collect and analyze that info.

"There is this thing about stats and numbers; they are held to higher level of scrutiny than anything else," Ma said. "People bag on the BCS because it is not perfect at picking a national champ. But if you have Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso and Chris Fowler all disagreeing, how can you expect a number to get it right? Stats are just another way of analyzing a situation and will hopefully tell you something you can't see with the common eye."

This is important if you're a bettor using a system, thinking about using a system or building a system right now in advance of football season. Formulas aren't infallible. And they don't exist in a vacuum. You have to be in a constant state of examination. Or as Ma puts it, "You have to think like a scientist, not a mathematician. The key is not just accepting the numbers and coming to a conclusion. It's investigating why the numbers are the way they are."

That means handicapping your handicapping in a sense. In his book, Ma likes to point to the example of the famous Dr. Bob, who writes up an analysis of his picks after the games have happened. He walks through his decision-making process, win or lose, and tries to determine which factors led to the end result. Knowing that the team he picked performed to the level he expected to and lost because of a fluke play is as valuable as understanding why he won a bet. That's the science of handicapping.

"In sports betting, more than any other form of betting, you go through these streaks that are horrible some times," Ma said. "Even for someone who understands random distribution, it's hard to believe you can lose 15 in a row and still know anything about sports. You have to focus on how you have done overall and divorce yourself from the emotion. It doesn't matter if it is sports betting or playing the market or decisions you are making in business. They are all decisions that you hope, if you make them a million times, you will come out on top. Otherwise you don't have a winning strategy."

This is why understanding what your numbers tell you, and not just following them blindly, is so important. If you don't, you're liable to throw away a perfectly good plan. Or stick to one that could drain your bankroll faster than Elin's lawyer.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I challenge you to actually find insider information.... seriously - ESPN is a fuggin crock o' shit.

Insider info is nothing more than to get the homer in everyone to payup to see the extra few lines of drivel from those ESPN douchers on their team.

I have insider, because I enjoy the magazine, and the only thing I have ever found useful were the holinger ratings for fantasy basketball, and the picks central thing a few times with a decent article sprinkled in.

The funny thing is, if you are an knowledgeable fan of your team, insider will be writing about crap you already know, that was released on free boards/local media days and sometime weeks in advance of the "insider" article.

Fukk ESPN - well done in posting their crap... Paywalls for non-sense is non-sense.

SportsPedagogy

I find that it collects information so i dont have too. There was an interesting thing i posted yesterday about how Vegas did on Superbowl prop bets.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

SP, can you post this article please?: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...on-manning-nfl

Cruizer
    Cruizer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/playo...3fid%3d6563137

this must be a joke, but im curious, thanks SP

Kalibongo
    Banned
    Kalibongo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gonna bookmark this. I hope you don't get tired of sharing.

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    SP, can you post this article please?: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...on-manning-nfl

Originally Published: February 8, 2012
    How Peyton Manning shifts the odds
    Want a good value prop bet? Look at these eight destinations for No. 18
    EmailPrintComments
    By Chris Sprow
    ESPN Insider
    Archive

Matthew Emmons/US Presswire
    Peyton Manning has the ability to improve several teams' Super Bowl XLVII odds.
    2012 look-ahead package:
    Millman: Early Super Bowl XLVII values | Sprow: How Manning shifts the odds numberFire: Projecting 2012 playoffs
    On Monday, when I checked in with Jay Kornegay, who runs the book at the Las Vegas Hotel (formerly the Las Vegas Hilton), I was shocked. Where Peyton Manning might end up if and when he's released by the Colts isn't reflected in next year's posted Super Bowl odds. "We haven't moved anything … yet," he emailed.

That means no little bump for the Washington Redskins, or a nudge for the Miami Dolphins. Nothing. The action may be light seven months before kickoff, but I figured even the scent of rumors regarding where Manning might land could move some lines in the same way the hint of mad cow disease affects grain futures. The Redskins are currently 100-1, based on posted 20 percent odds they get Manning; couldn't that dip closer to 70-1 on rumors alone? So far: no. Books just won't budge on futures without something solid. Not yet, at least.

But this is good news for you. Manning might be the single greatest potential odds-shifting free agent in the league's history. He's the ultimate value prop, to the point where an equal play on every suitor might make sense. R.J. Bell of Pregame.com checked around with some sharps and told me Brett Favre signing with Minnesota may have pushed the Vikings' SB odds from about 30-1 to 15-1 -- and that was Favre coming off a pretty bad one-year run with the Jets. (And those Vikes were an INT from the Super Bowl.) Indy's poor performance this season is a testament to Manning's value.

So let's consider the futures field now and how dramatically Peyton could shift the odds and make any of these teams a good value prop bet. These go in order of teams that would be impacted the most. Simulations courtesy of AccuScore; odds via the LVH. Updated odds? Those are all me.

Arizona Cardinals | Current 2013 SB odds: 50-1 | Win projection: 7.0

Kevin Kolb has a $10 million cap number next season. Larry Fitzgerald is at a hair over $20 million. Bottom line: Arizona would have to creatively shoehorn, or perhaps reshuffle, the compensation for Fitz. But Manning makes Arizona the favorite in the NFC West by any projection you can find.

Win jump with Manning: 10.7 (plus-3.7) | Updated odds: 14-1

Washington Redskins | 2013 SB odds: 100-1 | Win projection: 4.6

If that win projection depresses you, Skins fans, remember that it's with your current QB situation, The BeckRex Effect, which isn't even a good band name. The fit for Peyton makes a lot of sense, and he would look great in the system (think Houston's), but the presence of Eli Manning in the same division could lessen the appeal. That said, the Skins could be the most aggressive financially. As a value prop, it's a 4-to-1 jump in odds alone.

Win jump: 8.1 (plus-3.5) | Updated odds: 25-1

Miami Dolphins | 2013 SB odds: 50-1 | Win projection: 7.4

Manning makes a lot of sense in Miami, diminished only by the fact that so does Matt Flynn, given Joe Philbin's presence. Miami has improved their blocking, can run the ball, and also have a nice trio of targets in the passing game, all nice draws. The win jump projection is significant and makes the unlucky Dolphins of this past season virtual playoff locks next season. Want a 15-1 team at 50-1?

Win jump: 10.5 (plus-3.1) | Updated odds: 15-1

New York Jets | 2013 SB odds: 20-1 | Win projection: 7.7

Odds he lands here? Small. That said, it'll remain interesting as long as Tom Moore's on the payroll -- Manning has never had another offensive coordinator as an NFL quarterback. Considering the Jets were the 29th most efficient passing game in 2011, if Manning wanted to come there, it'd be something to consider. And remember, it wouldn't be the first time general manager Mike Tannenbaum made this kind of move.

Win jump: 10.2 (plus-2.5) | Updated odds: 9-1

Cleveland Browns | 2013 SB odds: 100-1 | Win projection: 5.3

From what we hear, the Browns are more likely to have Robert Griffin III taking snaps than Manning next season, but they're included because of the QB questions. The win jump is only this low because of the rough AFC North schedule. Remember that new offensive coordinator Brad Childress has been down this road before with Favre -- more than once, in fact.

Win jump: 7.8 (plus-2.5) | Updated odds: 35-1

Seattle Seahawks | 2013 SB odds: 60-1 | Win projection: 7.3

The Vikings once went after Favre to avoid a season of Tarvaris Jackson. They went 12-4. Seattle is a well-constructed team, save for the large question mark behind center.

Win jump: 9.7 (plus-2.4) | Updated odds: 18-1

San Francisco 49ers | 2013 SB odds: 20-1 | Win projection: 9.6

Hold on, 49ers fans. Before you gripe about the current win projection total, please know that every model in the world (even the human model) sees regression for San Fran unless it improves as a team, because its plus-28 turnover margin was not only historically good, but will be impossible to repeat. Of the six teams that were at or better than that margin in history, none improved their win totals in the next season. No way around it: Manning makes San Francisco better and is just as much a bridge to your QB of the future as the incumbent is.

Win jump: 11.5 (plus-1.9) | Updated odds: 8-1

Kansas City Chiefs | 2013 SB odds: 50-1 | Win projection: 6.8

In some ways, K.C. quietly makes a lot of sense. Matt Cassel's cap hit is down to a hair over $5 million for next season, so the Chiefs have the capability to be aggressive, and they're in a division that is up for grabs. They should be improved in terms of personnel, getting three of their best players back from injury. Certainly a good value prop if the SB odds are still at 50-1 an hour before Manning signs.

Win jump: 8.5 (plus-1.8) | Updated odds: 16-1

Chris Sprow is a senior editor for ESPN Insider. He reports and edits on many sports and works year-round with Mel Kiper on NFL draft coverage. He also oversees ESPN's Rumor Central and has been a regular guest on ESPN networks in that role. You can find his ESPN archives here and find him on Twitter here.

ESPN Conversations
    comments+ Add your comment

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by Cruizer View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/playo...3fid%3d6563137

this must be a joke, but im curious, thanks SP

Originally Published: May 18, 2011
    Maxim Lapierre may be Canucks' MVP
    Grinder has enabled Vancouver to use Ryan Kesler in a more offensive role
    EmailPrintComments
    By Neil Greenberg
    Special to ESPN Insider
    Archive

Anne-Marie Sorvin/US Presswire
    Maxim Lapierre may be Vancouver's true MVP in these playoffs.
    With the conference finals just getting underway, it's not too soon to start speculating about who should take home the Conn Smythe Trophy, awarded to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team throughout the entire playoffs. If Vancouver wins the Cup, the Conn Smythe will most likely go to either one of the Sedins, Ryan Kesler or netminder Roberto Luongo, but center Maxim Lapierre could be the team's most valuable player.

Acquired from Anaheim during the regular season to be Vancouver's fourth-line pivot, he was then asked to assume third-line duties after an eye injury sidelined Manny Malhotra for the remainder of the regular season. These were big shoes to fill. Malhotra alleviated much of Kesler's defensive responsibilities and allowed Kesler to take his offensive game to the next level, setting a career high in goals (41) and earning a Selke Trophy nomination. A big part of that breakthrough was because of Kesler's starting position.

Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault has perfected zone deployment as a strategy. Prior to injury, Malhotra started in the offensive zone for only 25 percent of his draws, a league low among skaters who played more than 20 games. This allowed Kesler to start in the offensive zone half the time, as opposed to 44 percent the two years prior, and for the Sedins to start in the offensive zone a league-leading 70 percent of the time during the regular season.

Offensive Zone Start Percentage EV Points per 60 minutes
    25-35 1.10
    35-45 1.37
    45-55 1.68
    55-65 1.75
    65-75 1.76
    Even strength data from 2008-2011, forwards playing at least 40 games
    Offensive zone start percentage looks at the number of times a player is on the ice for an offensive zone faceoff divided by the total offensive and defensive zone faceoffs that occur during even strength. Neutral-zone faceoffs are excluded since they don't offer an inherent advantage to either team. The percentage of time starting in the offensive zone has a direct effect on points scored, as you can see from the chart to the right. That makes sense, since it's a lot easier to put the puck in the net when starting from only 45 feet away than it is when starting in your own end.

Lapierre's first audition to fill Malhotra's shoes was not a success; he produced zero points and won fewer than half of his faceoffs. That forced Vigneault to use Kesler more in the defensive end, and his production suffered immediately with the resumption of Vancouver's defensive burden, scoring only two even-strength goals in the season's last 10 games.

During the Chicago series, Kesler was again used primarily in a defensive role, taking 52 defensive draws and only 41 in the offensive zone. Lapierre helped shoulder some of that burden, but Kesler ended the series with zero goals and only four assists.

The Nashville series started the same, until Game 3, where Lapierre appeared to have won back Vigneault's trust in the defensive zone. For Game 3 through Game 6, Kesler saw as many offensive zone starts (41) as he did in the entire seven-game series against Chicago, catapulting him to the top of the Conn Smythe leaderboard with five goals and six assists against Nashville. All but one of those points came in the last four games. During that time Lapierre saw only six starts in the offensive zone, won half his defensive-zone faceoffs and wasn't on the ice for a single goal against.

In Game 1 versus San Jose, Vigneault made some adjustments and again gave Kesler a large portion of the defensive zone responsibilities. Lapierre and his linemates stepped up and produced three points along with five shots on goal. Kesler had an assist that came with the man advantage.

Lapierre's contributions are evident throughout the lineup. He may not make anybody's list of Conn Smythe favorites, but in terms of contributing to winning, Lapierre may be the most valuable player the Canucks have.

Neil Greenberg specializes in analyzing hockey's micro-stats. He contributes to the Washington Post's Capitals Insider and blogs at Russian Machine Never Breaks. You can follow him on Twitter here.

ESPN Conversations
    + Be the first to comment

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by mdemps9190 View Post
    Future Power Rankings: Teams 1-5
    How will your favorite team fare in future seasons? Our experts take a close look
    EmailPrintComments
    By Chad Ford and John Hollinger
    ESPN.com

ESPN.com Illustration
    Previous editions: Mar. '11 | Dec. '10 | Aug. '10 | March '10 | Dec. '09 | Nov. '09

The Future Power Rankings are ESPN Insider's projection of the on-court success expected for each team in the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.

HOW FUTURE POWER RATING IS DETERMINED
    PLAYERS (0 to 600 points): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures
    MANAGEMENT (0 to 200 points): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching
    MONEY (0 to 200 points): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax
    MARKET (0 to 100 points): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans
    DRAFT (0 to 100 points): Future draft picks; draft positioning
    Consider this a convenient way to see the direction in which your favorite team is headed.

Each of the NBA's 30 teams received an overall Future Power Rating of 0 to 1,200, based on how well we expect each team to perform in the three seasons after this season.

To determine the Future Power Rating, we rated each team in five categories (see table at right).

As you can see, we determined that the most important category is a team's current roster and the future potential of those players -- that category accounts for 40 percent of each team's overall Future Power Rating.

At the same time, we looked at many other factors, such as management, ownership, coaching, a team's spending habits, its cap situation, the reputation of the city and the franchise and what kind of draft picks we expected the team to have in the future.

One change for this edition: Now that so many big names have landed in more permanent places, we have increased the value of the Players category. This also rewards teams like Oklahoma City, Memphis and Philadelphia that have successfully built their rosters already with young talent. Of course, we still recognize that teams like Dallas, Houston and New Jersey (future: Brooklyn) have the money and the motivation to spend, and can make a lot of noise in the coming years -- and we still reward teams for strong management, salary cap space and so on.

Here are our latest rankings, from 1 to 30:

Future Power Rankings: 1-5 | 6-10 | 11-15 | 16-20 | 21-25 | 26-30

1. Oklahoma City Thunder | Future Power Rating: 845
    PLAYERS MANAGEMENT MONEY MARKET DRAFT
    550 (1st) 189 (1st) 55 (24th) 43 (17th) 8 (29th)

What's amazing about the Thunder is that they have the league's best record even though their four best players are 23, 23, 22 and 22. Most of their role players are young, too -- Daequan Cook, Reggie Jackson, Eric Maynor and Cole Aldrich all are 24 or younger, and Kendrick Perkins and Thabo Sefolosha aren't exactly fossils at 27. If you want to know why we rated their players first, ahead of Miami's, that's why. OKC's core is only going to get better over the next three years, which is what puts it at the top of our rankings.

Well, that, and the management, which we rated ahead of San Antonio's by a nose -- the first time the Spurs have been topped in this category. Of course, San Antonio can still claim victory in a way -- Sam Presti and owner Clay Bennett used the Spurs' blueprint to build this team. Under Presti the Thunder have yet to make a false move, patiently building a winner out of the McMillan-era Sonics' ashes and exquisitely managing their cap.

They'll face some tougher decisions in the future, as contract extensions for James Harden and Serge Ibaka may force them to shed other deals to sidestep the luxury tax (including potentially granting amnesty to Perkins). That's where the money and market come in, and neither is in the Thunder's favor.

But despite the small market, management will spend up to a point. Additionally, this has become something of a desirable market solely because it's such a well-run, professional operation and it offers a chance at a ring. For all those reasons, we rate the Thunder as having the brightest future of the league's 30 teams.

(Previous rank: 2)

2. Miami Heat | Future Power Rating: 827
    526 (2nd) 184 (3rd) 19 (30th) 95 (2nd) 3 (30th)

As you might have guessed, we're optimistic about Miami's future. It's hard not to be when there are three superstars as the centerpiece; because of the Superfriends trio of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, we rated Miami's players second despite there being fairly little help around them. The cupboard isn't completely bare, however, as rookie point guard Norris Cole looks like a keeper.

More importantly, the Heat have a number of secondary advantages. Start with their market; between the low taxes, sunny weather and chance for a ring, Miami rates as the second-most desirable market after the L.A. Lakers. Additionally, the Heat are a well-run shop; Pat Riley is one of the league's most respected execs and Erik Spoelstra has proved his mettle on the sidelines.

Unfortunately, the Heat will have a hard time acquiring talent given their cap and draft situation. They're in luxury-tax territory the next three seasons, and owner Micky Arison has historically been reluctant to spend beyond that limit. And the draft? Forget it. The Heat owe a 2013 first-rounder to Cleveland and likely will be picking somewhere between 28th and 30th in the other two years.

(Previous rank: 3)

3. Chicago Bulls | Future Power Rating: 817
    519 (3rd) 165 (5th) 30 (28th) 88 (4th) 15 (28th)

Although the Bulls find themselves third after claiming the No. 1 spot in our rankings last March by a narrow margin over the Thunder, the difference between them and the two teams above remains negligible. There is still a lot to be bullish about in Chicago.

The roster is headlined by reigning MVP Derrick Rose, who is having a better season this year and will continue to mature and become an even more potent weapon. Joakim Noah and Luol Deng are also both young and productive. And Carlos Boozer should be a solid contributor for the next few years as well.

They'll need a younger replacement at the 2-guard position soon (Richard Hamilton turns 34 next week and is sporting the lowest PER of his career), but overall we feel their No. 3 roster ranking is well-deserved. If they could somehow manage to package some of their depth and turn it into Dwight Howard, they'd likely regain the top spot on our charts.

The Bulls also continue to move up the rankings in management (up from No. 8 to No. 5) thanks to the job coach Tom Thibodeau is doing. Not only does he have the Bulls playing better defense, but he's proved he can keep the offense humming at the same time.

Chicago has the pieces to win an NBA championship, and that will likely remain the case for the next three to four years. Only the Thunder and the Heat, and possibly the Clippers, can really say the same.

(Previous rank: 1)

4. Los Angeles Clippers | Future Power Rating: 749
    479 (4th) 81 (16th) 92 (18th) 80 (5th) 17 (27th)

The Clippers are eight spots ahead of the Lakers? Yes, the times are changing in L.A. It's very possible the Clips will be Southern California's top basketball team over the next three seasons, as they've positioned themselves for a very strong run.

Let's start with the players. We ranked the Clippers fourth based on the superstar nucleus of Blake Griffin and Chris Paul; while we wished they had a bit more help, the supporting cast at least possesses some solid complementary pieces and trade assets. And the market rates fifth, as the combination of coming to L.A. and playing for a winner should be a powerful lure -- as it was in their recent signing of Kenyon Martin.

Finally, the Clippers are in pretty good financial position for a contending team. They're well under the tax line and should feel free to add players via exceptions over the next couple of years, filling the roster holes on the wings and at backup center.

The worry, alas, is that these are the Clippers and they'll find a way to screw it up. We rated L.A. 16th in management, and that might have been kind. While GM Neil Olshey has mostly done good work, owner Donald Sterling is a buffoon's buffoon and head coach Vinny Del Negro still seems overmatched. The latter has an expiring deal and may not be retained, but the Clips may have trouble getting somebody better given The Donald's history of not paying his former coaches.

(Previous rank: 9)

5. Indiana Pacers | Future Power Rating: 748
    399 (7th) 130 (10th) 141 (7th) 41 (18th) 37 (20th)

We continue to get more excited about the roster Larry Bird and David Morway have put together. While there are no superstars, the team is incredibly deep and plays well together. Danny Granger is in his prime, David West brings leadership, Roy Hibbert is playing like an All-Star, Darren Collison continues to improve, Tyler Hansbrough brings manic energy, George Hill (when healthy) has given the team a scorer off the bench, and Paul George may very well be the best player on this team in another year, if not one of the best players in the league -- he has that much potential.

The team continues to be prudent with its money, too, and still has significant cap room to add other pieces. Adding one more scorer could put the Pacers in serious contention for the Eastern Conference crown.

But it's the Pacers' jump in management score that moved them up to No. 5. Owner Herb Simon remains committed to putting a winning team on the floor, which means the front office has the green light to spend if it's on the right guy. And while no one had heard of Frank Vogel before last season, he's quickly looking like one of the best up-and-coming coaches in the NBA. He doesn't get enough credit for his contribution to the unselfish culture on the Pacers.

Bird, however, deserves the lion's share of the credit. Is this the year the three-time NBA MVP and former coach of the year completes the triple crown and takes home executive of the year honors? It's hard to think of anyone else who deserves it more.

(Previous rank: 7)

Future Power Rankings: Teams 6-10
    How will your favorite team fare in future seasons? Our experts take a close look
    EmailPrintComments
    By Chad Ford and John Hollinger
    ESPN.com
    Previous editions: Mar. '11 | Dec. '10 | Aug. '10 | March '10 | Dec. '09 | Nov. '09

The Future Power Rankings are ESPN Insider's projection of the on-court success expected for each team in the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.

HOW FUTURE POWER RATING IS DETERMINED
    PLAYERS (0 to 600 points): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures
    MANAGEMENT (0 to 200 points): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching
    MONEY (0 to 200 points): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax
    MARKET (0 to 100 points): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans
    DRAFT (0 to 100 points): Future draft picks; draft positioning
    Consider this a convenient way to see the direction in which your favorite team is headed.

Each of the NBA's 30 teams received an overall Future Power Rating of 0 to 1,200, based on how well we expect each team to perform in the three seasons after this season.

To determine the Future Power Rating, we rated each team in five categories (see table at right).

As you can see, we determined that the most important category is a team's current roster and the future potential of those players -- that category accounts for 40 percent of each team's overall Future Power Rating.

At the same time, we looked at many other factors, such as management, ownership, coaching, a team's spending habits, its cap situation, the reputation of the city and the franchise and what kind of draft picks we expected the team to have in the future.

One change for this edition: Now that so many big names have landed in more permanent places, we have increased the value of the Players category. This also rewards teams like Oklahoma City, Memphis and Philadelphia that have successfully built their rosters already with young talent. Of course, we still recognize that teams like Dallas, Houston and New Jersey (future: Brooklyn) have the money and the motivation to spend, and can make a lot of noise in the coming years -- and we still reward teams for strong management, salary cap space and so on.

Here are our latest rankings, from 1 to 30:

Future Power Rankings: 1-5 | 6-10 | 11-15 | 16-20 | 21-25 | 26-30

6. Dallas Mavericks | Future Power Rating: 730
    284 (16th) 170 (4th) 164 (3rd) 76 (6th) 31 (22nd)

The Mavs are the oldest team in the league, with an average player age of 30.33. They have several overpaid veterans (Brendan Haywood, Lamar Odom and Shawn Marion) who, while productive, have seen better days. They have other key veterans (Jason Terry and Jason Kidd) who will head into free agency this year. And, this past offseason, they lost their defensive anchor, Tyson Chandler, to the Knicks in free agency, traded away young players (Corey Brewer and Rudy Fernandez) for draft picks and didn't add one significant young player to the roster.

So how exactly did the Mavs rise in our rankings from No. 13 to No. 6?

It's all about the future.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban made a series of tough decisions this offseason that put the team's chances of repeating in jeopardy but greatly aided the team's ability to rebuild quickly. By refusing to sign vets like Chandler and Caron Butler to huge contracts he gambled that he could go into this summer and restock the Mavs with younger, All-Star-caliber players.

If Cuban and GM Donnie Nelson play all their assets right, they could get the Mavs far enough under the cap to land two marquee players to play alongside Dirk Nowitzki next season. Everyone knows that Deron Williams and Dwight Howard will be the targets. But even if the Mavs can't land both, they'll still be powerful players in the free-agent market.

For that reason, we find it hard to bet against Cuban. Great management, significant financial resources and an inviting market usually lead to great things. Yes, we're operating on faith here. But the Mavs have positioned themselves to have the biggest summer of any team in the NBA. And Cuban might just pull it off.

(Previous rank: 13)

7. Utah Jazz | Future Power Rating: 723
    370 (9th) 142 (9th) 124 (11th) 30 (22nd) 57 (12th)

The Jazz took a major hit in our rankings last March thanks to the loss of All-Star point guard Deron Williams and coach Jerry Sloan. But after a really solid offseason and an excellent start to the season, our optimism over the Jazz is swelling.

Perhaps the most underrated GM in the league, Kevin O'Connor has done the most with a very tough situation in a less than desirable market and built a strong foundation for the Jazz going forward. He's continued to be proactive in rebuilding this roster in a way that keeps the team winning while adding young players for the future.

The Jazz not only have solid veterans, including Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson, at virtually every position, but they also have intriguing young players being groomed at every spot except point guard. Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks have enormous potential. The fact that the team is winning while developing them makes us only more encouraged about their long-term future.

O'Connor has also been a master at acquiring lottery picks, and the Jazz are poised to grab another one from the Warriors as long as it's not in the top seven. They do owe the Wolves a pick, however, but only if they make the playoffs. In addition, the team is poised to have some money to work with in the summer of 2013 when Jefferson, Millsap and Raja Bell all come off the books.

And with Tyrone Corbin showing he can have the Jazz playing above expectations, perhaps the drop-off from Jerry Sloan might not be as bad as we once feared. The Jazz are still a few years and a piece or two away from being serious contenders, but all signs are pointing in the right direction.

(Previous rank: 14)

8. Denver Nuggets | Future Power Rating: 700
    425 (6th) 120 (11th) 84 (19th) 43 (16th) 28 (25th)

Life after Carmelo didn't turn out so shabbily, because the Nuggets were able to trade him for an entire team. Seriously. Denver grabbed eight solid players directly or indirectly from the Melo deal (Danilo Gallinari, Andre Miller, Jordan Hamilton, Kosta Koufos, Rudy Fernandez, Corey Brewer, Timofey Mozgov and Wilson Chandler) and still have two future first-rounders (in 2014 and 2016 at the earliest) coming their way. That's 10 players from one trade. Not a bad haul.

Denver already had two near-All-Stars in Nene and Ty Lawson, and as a result of the Melo trade bounty we've rated their players sixth overall. We're also pretty high on their management, as George Karl remains among the league's best coaches and GM Masai Ujiri showed with the Melo deal that he can work the trade angles.

We're just a little worried about where they can go from here. Denver has a lot of money tied up in its roster, with excessive contracts for role players Arron Afflalo and Al Harrington not helping matters, and historically the Kroenke family has been reluctant to pay luxury tax. It's not clear how they'll be able to keep this group together and keep the finances under control; most likely they'll have to shed the likes of Miller and Fernandez along the way.

Additionally, we're not sure how much lure this market has for incoming players. It's not a bad place, but they can't offer free agents much in the way of sun and sand -- or, more importantly, minutes, given how much depth they possess already.

As a result, we have them pegged in the second tier. They have a really strong roster set up for the next three years, but with no stars and limited ability to improve it, the ceiling may be the second round of the playoffs.

(Previous rank: 15)

9. San Antonio Spurs | Future Power Rating: 692
    298 (15th) 186 (2ndt) 124 (10th) 53 (13th) 31 (23rd)
    All good things must come to an end. With Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson all on the downsides of their careers, Tony Parker is the only veteran on the team who remains in his prime. Although the Spurs continue to be savvy in finding good players, including DeJuan Blair, Tiago Splitter and rookie Kawhi Leonard, all appear to have brighter futures as role players, not stars.
    Our main belief in the Spurs comes from their stellar management. We've ranked them No. 1 in every Future Power Rankings we've done until this one (the Thunder edged them out).

The challenge will be using their smarts with limited resources. The Spurs will have some cap flexibility in the future (especially if they amnesty Jefferson), but their lack of market power may limit whom they can bring on board. And they're currently still good enough to stay out of the lottery, which hurts their chances of landing another young star.

(Previous rank: 5)

10. Houston Rockets | Future Power Rating: 670
    246 (19th) 145 (8th) 165 (2nd) 59 (9th) 55 (13th)

These guys are holding down the fort remarkably well considering the circumstances. Houston has been hammered twice in the past year -- once when Yao Ming had to retire due to injuries, and a second time when the league, acting as stewards of the Hornets, overturned a trade for Pau Gasol at the 11th hour. The Rockets have no big stars, but have built enough depth to stay in playoff position in the tough West.

We're not crazy about the current roster -- rated just 19th going forward -- because most of the young talent is more of the role player variety. However, Houston has everything else going in its favor. Thanks to shrewd cap management, the Rockets have put themselves in position to be players in free agency, where a strong market that includes low taxes and warm weather will help them. Additionally, Houston has shown a willingness to spend -- including buying draft picks -- and is in a sneaky-good position with the draft thanks to owning New York's first-round pick.

They'd be even better off if their own pick wasn't headed to New Jersey as a result of the baffling Terrence Williams trade, the one blemish on the otherwise rock-solid tenure of GM Daryl Morey.

Sum up all those advantages and we like Houston's future enough to put the Rockets 10th overall, even though the roster doesn't overwhelm.

(Previous rank: 16)

11. (tie) Boston Celtics | Future Power Rating: 667
    283 (21st) 162 (6th) 155 (5th) 65 (8th) 52 (15th)

Faith in Celtics president Danny Ainge is what essentially justifies the top-12 ranking of the aging Celtics.

The Celtics' roster score has been creeping downhill since we started this project. But in the past year, it finally plummeted. They've dipped all the way to No. 21.

Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen still have powder left in the chamber, but the long-term prognosis is obviously not so good. The loss of Jeff Green to a heart ailment hurt the Celtics' score as well. And all the talk about the Celtics dangling Rajon Rondo on the trade market speaks to the fact that while Rondo is a major talent, he's not an ideal player to build a new team around.

But Ainge knows this and is unafraid to trade anyone on the team if it makes the Celtics better in the long run. His fearlessness keeps the Celtics with a top-six ranking in management.

We also have faith in the Celtics' financial situation going forward. Other teams may have more money, but given the Celtics' favorable market and Ainge's penchant for luring guys to Boston, we are banking on the Celtics to do well in the summer.

(Previous rank: 8)

11. (tie) Los Angeles Lakers | Future Power Rating: 667
    368 (10th) 146 (7th) 24 (29th) 99 (1st) 30 (24th)

The Lakers seem like they're dying in slow motion right now, but they still have problems most other teams would kill for. A nucleus of Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol figures to decline substantially during the next three years, given that only Bynum is in his 20s, but that's still a far more imposing trio than most other teams can muster. We just wish the cupboard wasn't so bare behind them. Bynum is the only young player on the roster whom another team would want.

Additionally, we rated the Lakers' management strongly. Mitch Kupchak has quietly done a very solid job building and maintaining this squad, and Mike Brown is among the league's better coaches. Although we're all a little concerned about Jim Buss' role, there's a lot of organizational knowledge in place.

But the biggest reason to be optimistic about the Lakers is they're the Lakers. This works on two levels. First, L.A. always will outspend any team if it really needs to; although the Lakers have cut a few corners in recent seasons in order to save a few bucks, they can always go deep into the luxury tax to clinch a gobsmacker deal (like the Pau Gasol trade).

Second, they're the top free-agent target for everybody. If the Lakers have cap space, a superstar will definitely take it. And on that note, check out this little nugget: L.A. has $0 committed in 2014-15, when the contracts of Gasol and Bryant expire. They could build a whole new team around whichever stars want to come ... presuming Dwight Howard, Kevin Love or some other megastar hasn't already finagled a trade there.

(Previous rank: 4)

13. Portland Trail Blazers | Future Power Rating: 657
    346 (13th) 105 (12th) 122 (13th) 47 (14th) 37 (18th)

It's amazing how bright the Blazers' future looks given all that's gone wrong with them. Two years ago Brandon Roy and Greg Oden looked like the foundation of a perennial contender; now it appears each has played his last game as a Blazer.

All that has left the Blazers firmly in the middle, as they rank between 12th and 18th in every category; few other franchises could suffer a one-two sucker punch like this and remain standing.

Nonetheless, the future looks hazy. Not bad, necessarily, but hazy. LaMarcus Aldridge and Wes Matthews are the only core players certain to be on the team next season; all the rest are likely to be free agents. The team has kept the general manager position open as well, with owner Paul Allen apparently relying on his Seattle friends to whisper things in his ear.

All this could be a tremendous opportunity to rebuild the roster around Aldridge and make another charge for the top of the West; the Blazers could also bring everyone back, as the current team isn't chopped liver, either.

The good news is that Allen remains willing to spend for a winner, that the Blazers potentially have cap space to chase a star and that Aldridge is a fantastic centerpiece. Instead, the familiar story is their struggle to get from here to the league's upper crust.

(Previous rank: 10)

14. New York Knicks | Future Power Rating: 615
    338 (14th) 100 (13th) 58 (22nd) 92 (3rd) 27 (26th)

Sorry, Knicks fans. Landing two marquee players and a big free-agent signing was supposed to launch the Knicks into the stratosphere. Instead, the moves have actually sunk them below .500 this season and dropped them eight spots in our rankings.

In March, we were a lot more bullish about the Knicks' future thanks to the addition of Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and some cap flexibility in the future. Eleven months later? Stoudemire looks worn down, Anthony is proving he's no LeBron and all that cap space was spent on Tyson Chandler (not, say, Dwight Howard or Chris Paul).

The Knicks remain as high as they are in the rankings based primarily on market, where New York ranks third behind Los Angeles and Miami right now. In every other category, the picture isn't pretty.

The Knicks are losing ground in the management department after losing the revered Donnie Walsh this past summer. They no longer have the cap flexibility they used to have. And they've killed virtually any chance of landing a top draft pick based on a number of trades they made to get the cap space that eventually went to Chandler.

Meanwhile, they don't have much roster flexibility. Stoudemire is almost impossible to trade because of an uninsured contract. Melo has value, but they'd get pennies on the dollar for him in a trade. Chandler seems like a poor fit in the current system. Baron Davis might help temporarily, but he's not the point guard of the future. Maybe the Knicks will get lucky in the summer and a superstar will force a trade there; that's the power of their market. But short of that, the great Knicks rebuilding plan looks like it may come up far short of expectations.

(Previous rank: 6)

15. Memphis Grizzlies | Future Power Rating: 612
    446 (5th) 74 (20th) 38 (27th) 18 (30th) 36 (21st)

We like this nucleus a lot, rating the Grizzlies fifth in players. With Marc Gasol, Tony Allen, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph and Mike Conley, along with Darrell Arthur and O.J. Mayo in relief, this is a fantastic core. Randolph and Arthur are injured at the moment, but they'll be back at full strength next season.

It's the other stuff that has us worried. Let's start with the money; Memphis is in arguably the worst cap position of any team, given its aversion to luxury tax. The Griz will be dancing with the tax line each of the next three years just to pay their core, likely making it difficult to keep Mayo beyond this season. As for adding additional players, the Griz are probably mostly looking at minimum-salary players who won't bust the budget -- a difficult proposition in a market that's already among the league's least alluring.

As for management, it depends on who is calling the shots. GM Chris Wallace has proved competent when he's been able to make the decisions, and head coach Lionel Hollins has done solid work. But owner Michael Heisley has too often intervened in basketball decisions with disastrous consequences -- most notably when he had the team take Hasheem Thabeet in the 2009 draft.

Thus, it's incumbent on that core group to stay healthy and productive for the next three seasons, because the Grizzlies have a hard time importing any help, and they'll be drafting too late to find much support that way. It's a strong group, but they're sailing into an equally strong headwind.

(Previous rank: 22)

16. Philadelphia 76ers | Future Power Rating: 607
    376 (8th) 92 (15th) 65 (21st) 36 (20th) 38 (17th)

The Future Power Rankings struggle with a team like the Sixers, who are a well-coached team with a young roster and new, energetic management. They are already playing like a top-four team in the East. But our FPR formula is unimpressed.

First, the good news. We currently have the Sixers ranked eighth on roster -- up five spots from where we rated them last March. The combination of Andre Iguodala, Jrue Holiday, Thaddeus Young, Lou Williams and an emerging Spencer Hawes makes the Sixers very intriguing.

Furthermore, Doug Collins has done a great job getting the most out of this team and new ownership should provide a boost to a Sixers team that appeared a bit comatose from the management side the past few years.

It's all of the other categories that drag them down considerably.

The team is capped out and can't add more players via free agency. It will keep likely be drafting late for the next few years. And, while Philly is a great market, there aren't marquee free agents like Dwight Howard pushing to go there.

So the question is: With no money to spend, middling draft picks and some holes in the roster, have the Sixers hit their ceiling?

(Previous rank: 20)

17. New Jersey Nets | Future Power Rating: 597
    268 (22nd) 69 (23rd) 170 (1st) 68 (7th) 72 (8th)

The Nets may be going for a permanent "Incomplete" in these rankings. For the past few years there have been rumblings and more rumors about how this roster is going to metamorphose into a contender. While the possibilities may be tantalizing, the actual results have been a major letdown.

The one exception was last February's trade deadline deal that snagged them All-Star point guard Deron Williams. But other than Williams -- and possibly Brook Lopez and rookie MarShon Brooks -- the Nets' roster is a mess. That's no big deal if the team bundles together Lopez, all of its expiring contracts and role players and lands a superstar. But anything less than that (see the Knicks comment) and their future isn't nearly as bright.

On top of that, the Nets traded for Williams without any assurances that he'd sign a contract extension with the team. He can exercise his early-termination option at the end of the season to become an unrestricted free agent. And if he bolts, the Nets made a catastrophic deal and will plummet even further in these rankings.

The rest of the factors -- management, market, money, draft -- all hinge on the unknown. Somewhere between now and the end of July, we'll know more, and when we do, the ranking for the Nets will be much clearer.

(Previous rank: 12)

18. Cleveland Cavaliers | Future Power Rating: 583
    253 (18th) 73 (21st) 157 (3rd) 28 (23th) 72 (9th)

It's getting better, Cavs fans. After spending the year in the FPR basement, the future is suddenly looking much brighter in Cleveland.

Much of that has to do with the addition of Kyrie Irving. In March of last year, the Cavs' roster ranked 29th out of 30th. Now they've moved up a whopping 11 spots thanks to their Rookie of the Year contender. Irving has shown enough potential in the first half of the season to make us believe he might be an All-Star caliber player someday (maybe sooner if the East wasn't loaded with great point guards).

The long-term future of Tristan Thompson is also promising and Anderson Varejao still has enough juice to man the middle for the Cavs the next few years. In addition, another lottery pick this summer should help fill one of their big holes at shooting guard or small forward.

Meanwhile, the Cavs' salary cap situation also looks good thanks to the amnesty cut of Baron Davis in the offseason and Antawn Jamison's contract coming off the books this summer. Cleveland isn't the top destination for free agents and there will be plenty of competition, but there's no question the team should be able to continue to add to its roster.

(Previous rank: 29)

19. Atlanta Hawks | Future Power Rating: 567
    405 (12th) 80 (17th) 49 (26th) 46 (15th) 37 (19th)

Despite their success on the court this season, the future of the Hawks is a less certain proposition. Certainly the building blocks are there with Al Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, a budding Jeff Teague and a still-chugging Joe Johnson. We had Atlanta rated 12th in players, so no problem there.

It's the other stuff that hurts them. The Hawks are capped out and don't have the resources to go deep into the luxury tax for help. Beyond that, virtually everything about this team's future is up in the air. The coach and general manager are both free agents after the season, and the ownership is in flux -- after failing to sell the team this past summer, they're courting offers to unload what has been a consistent money loser.

Financially, about the only reprieve would come from using the amnesty on Johnson at some point, but a team in the Hawks' financial straits would be extremely reluctant to pay a guy $20 million to suit up for another team. With a deep-pocketed owner, we might change our tune, but so far none has emerged. As a result, Atlanta's destiny likely remains in the middle -- good enough to make the playoffs, most likely, but not good enough to do anything of consequence once they get there. For a franchise that has never played in an Eastern Conference finals game, that has a familiar feel.

(Previous rank: 19)

20. Minnesota Timberwolves | Future Power Rating: 552
    367 (11th) 40 (26th) 83 (20th) 19 (29th) 43 (16th)

The Wolves have Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio, and because of that their situation is no longer hopeless. The Wolves have some sidekicks that aren't bad either, such as second overall pick Derrick Williams, and because of that we ranked their personnel 11th.

That's the good news. However, many questions remain. The Wolves wouldn't give Love a five-year extension and instead gave him a deal with a three-year opt-out; history shows that this will start the clock on Love departure rumors about halfway through the Future Power Rankings' three-year cycle.

Additionally, their cap situation is surprisingly not that great thanks to the assorted Darkos and Ridnours making midlevel-ish money. The Wolves aren't going to be under the cap anytime soon, although I'm not sure it would matter if they were given that we rated this market 29th. It's not the city that's the problem, it's the mercury: Players just aren't excited to spend their winters there.

But the other reason for concern is the management. GM David Kahn scored with Rubio but still has had far more whiffs than hits -- he also used top-six picks on Wesley Johnson and Jonny Flynn, for instance, both of whom seem to be horrific busts. The hiring of coach Rick Adelman has clearly helped, however, replacing the disastrous reign of Kurt Rambis.

If Kahn can surround Rubio and Love with some decent role players -- like a real NBA shooting guard, for instance -- and Love's eye doesn't wander toward Southern California or some other destination, there are pieces in place for a renaissance. We just don't know if they have the organizational know-how to pull it off.

(Previous rank: 27)

21. Golden State Warriors | Future Power Rating: 512
    243 (20th) 62 (24th) 97 (16th) 55 (12th) 55 (14th)

The new Warriors continue to look a lot like the old Warriors. Sure, they have a new coach and a few new faces, but they still have the same GM, the same flash with no substance on the court, and the same sort of 30-plus-win team we've seen for a while now. So their ranking stays right at No. 21 -- high enough to offer hope, but low enough to raise serious questions about ever achieving it.

The Warriors do have talent. Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry and David Lee are all solid building blocks. Brandon Rush was a nice pickup over the summer. And the team has high hopes for young players like Ekpe Udoh and Klay Thompson.

Unfortunately, the team remains woefully out of balance, lacking much in the way of a winning culture, a defensive ethic or a long-term strategy. It's hard to see how the Warriors will continue in the long term with Curry and Ellis in the backcourt. While they complement each other offensively, neither player is guarding anyone on defense. The team also still lacks size and shot-blocking in the middle after striking out on both Tyson Chandler and DeAndre Jordan this offseason.

Financially, the team has some flexibility, but not a lot. And they'll likely send their draft pick to the Jazz this year, limiting their ability to capitalize on a strong class. At virtually every level, the Warriors appear stuck, and it's unclear how they're going to break out of their rut.

(Previous rank: 21)

22. Washington Wizards | Future Power Rating: 507
    197 (25th) 37 (27th) 149 (6th) 35 (21th) 89 (4th)

It's easy to talk yourself into Washington's future on paper. They have draft picks, cap space and some talented young players, led by 2010 first overall pick John Wall. Then you watch the team on the court and all that goes out the window. It's not just that the Wizards are bad; it's that at times they seem like a parody of an ABA franchise. Their 2011-12 highlight film will be a looping clip of JaVale McGee sprinting back on defense while his team has the ball.

We rated the Wizards just 25th in players, based on the disappointing progress their young charges have made this season. Wall is as fast end-to-end as any player in the past 20 years, but looks lost in the half court and miles away from stardom. McGee has made some progress but still baffles with his decisions, while Andray Blatche, Jordan Crawford and Nick Young remain unreformed gunners. Meanwhile, first-rounders Jan Vesely, Chris Singleton and Kevin Seraphin have offered little. The only young player making something of his talent is forward Trevor Booker.

We rated Washington's management 27th, based largely on the fact that general manager Ernie Grunfeld made several disastrous moves to get them into this mess (starting with the Gilbert Arenas contract) and doesn't seem any closer to paddling them out of it. Washington will have massive cap space if it grants amnesty to Rashard Lewis and will continue to get high lottery picks, but if its decision-makers can't make better decisions, none of that will matter.

(Previous rank: 17)

23. Milwaukee Bucks | Future Power Rating: 504
    201 (24th) 94 (14th) 116 (14th) 28 (24th) 60 (10th)

The Bucks' rise and fall continues to be well-documented by our rankings over the past two years. In our first FPR, we had them ranked 29th. Less than a year later, the team was ranked 18th after the draft steal of Brandon Jennings and a surprise playoff run. But the struggles over the past year and a half have them settling back down into the mid-20s.

Take a look: Andrew Bogut and Jennings are both talents, but the supporting cast in Milwaukee is both overpaid and underperforming. Whatever magic coach Scott Skiles was able to work in the past seems to be waning. The team lacks substantial financial flexibility going forward. And Milwaukee isn't exactly a free-agent hot spot.

A sudden jump by young players like Tobias Harris or Larry Sanders could help their cause. So could a high pick in the coming NBA draft. But short of that, the Bucks appear to be trapped in a sort of purgatory -- good enough to win some games, but not good enough to make a real push toward contention.

(Previous rank: 24)

24. Sacramento Kings | Future Power Rating: 475
    260 (17th) 22 (29th) 93 (17th) 24 (27th) 76 (7th)

The Kings don't know whether they're coming or going … literally. Sacramento is trying to fund an arena to keep the team there, but they could easily be in Seattle, Anaheim, Kansas City or someplace else next season. The uncertainty that hangs over the team's future in the city is also likely holding it up from pursuing other moves, such as the long-overdue housecleaning in the front office.

We ranked Sacramento's management 29th; while they finally saw fit to remove Paul Westphal as coach, head-scratching moves remain the norm. Sacramento traded down in the draft to acquire John Salmons' deadweight contract, and made Marcus Thornton the latest in a litany of unusually generous contracts for their own players. Moves like these have left the Kings near the bottom of the standings despite a profusion of high lottery picks.

There is some talent here, though. Tyreke Evans is a devastating slasher and would likely be even better if they'd give up on making him a point guard, while bruising DeMarcus Cousins needs to mature but certainly has star talent.

The cap situation is decent, too. While the Kings have a few bad contracts, one of them can be removed via amnesty to put them well under the cap in any offseason they choose. We're just not sure how much ownership can spend given their financial distress, and that will be the case until the arena issue is resolved and/or the team is sold to somebody with deeper pockets.

(Previous rank: 18)

25. Orlando Magic | Future Power Rating: 437
    211 (23rd) 56 (25th) 54 (25th) 58 (11th) 58 (11th)

The Magic were the most difficult team for us to rate, because one question looms over everything: whether Dwight Howard stays or goes. If he stays, obviously our ranking them 23rd in the players category is extremely pessimistic. On the other hand, if he goes, we might have them several spots too high. Of the rest of the roster, Ryan Anderson is the only quality young player.

Around them, Magic GM Otis Smith has assembled several veterans with large contracts and modest contributions; his most recent trophies include Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Richardson, Glen Davis, Chris Duhon and the since-amnestied Gilbert Arenas. We rated Orlando 25th in management largely based on Smith's proclivity for shooting money out the firehouse to put out any ember of a roster hole, leaving the Magic in a position where they might lose Howard and still not have appreciable cap space next summer. The only reason they weren't lower is that they still have one of the league's top bench jockeys in Stan Van Gundy.

Their spendthrift ways are also why we rated Orlando 25th in money; while ownership has shown it's willing to spend, the future cap space isn't great unless the Magic can package one or more of their big contracts in a Howard trade.

The best news is that the Magic are still in Orlando. With a gleaming new arena, a sunny climate and no state taxes, this team should be a strong free-agent draw as long as it can remain even remotely competitive. Of course, that's partly how the Magic ended up in this predicament in the first place.

(Previous rank: 11)

26. Toronto Raptors | Future Power Rating: 434
    123 (27th) 70 (22nd) 123 (12th) 38 (19th) 80 (6th)

Virtually nothing has changed since we checked in on them last March. The Raptors are still a long, long way from coming together in a coherent fashion. Overall, they slipped another spot in the rankings to No. 26 as they continue to idle at the bottom of the East standings.

But there are reasons for optimism. For starters, many NBA scouts are very high on last year's draft pick, Lithuanian big man Jonas Valanciunas, who should allow the Raptors to play Andrea Bargnani (who continues to improve his game) at his more natural position at the 4 next season. The team is also in line for a high pick this June in what looks to be a very strong draft. In addition, Toronto could get significant cap room this summer if it uses its amnesty clause.

On the downside, much of their young talent is still a work in progress. After a terrific sophomore season, DeMar DeRozan has regressed quite a bit this season. The team also still has gaping holes at both the small forward and point guard positions going forward (Jose Calderon is solid, but he's not the point guard of the future). And even with the cap room, will it really matter? Lots of teams are poised to have major cap space the next few years, and Toronto hasn't really been a marquee destination for top free agents.

(Previous rank: 25)

27. New Orleans Hornets | Future Power Rating: 428
    111 (28th) 78 (19th) 115 (15th) 27 (25th) 97 (2nd)

The big word here is uncertainty. There is no certainty about anything for the post-Chris Paul Hornets, starting with whether they'll still be the New Orleans Hornets two years from now, so it's difficult to get too excited about their future. The only good young player of consequence is guard Eric Gordon, who will be a restricted free agent after the season; with the Hornets under the stewardship of the league at the moment, it's not clear whether they'll get approval to match a max contract offer. Other teams know this, and make no mistake: The sharks are already circling.

Otherwise, the Hornets are a mishmash of passable veterans and quasi-interesting younger players, one that could probably win three-fifths of its games if the league stayed out of its hair and everybody stayed healthy. That's pretty much the ceiling.

We rated the Hornets' management 18th largely based on the fact that general manager Dell Demps and head coach Monty Williams were doing pretty solid work before the league interceded, and at some point they'll be able to call the shots again. In the meantime, however, it's tough to get excited about Stu Jackson moonlighting as a GM when he's not handing out suspensions.

The Hornets will get help from the draft, but not as much as hoped; the unprotected first-rounder they got from Minnesota in the Paul trade may only turn out to be in the teens. Meanwhile, the search for an owner drags on. Until a buyer turns up, the Hornets are adrift.

(Previous rank: 23)

28. Detroit Pistons | Future Power Rating: 400
    150 (26th) 78 (18th) 56 (23rd) 26 (26th) 90 (3rd)

The Pistons hit near-rock bottom last March and appear stuck there a year later. The good news? There's nowhere to go but up and there are signs the Pistons could be heading that direction soon.

Detroit actually moved up a spot from 27th to 26th in the roster category thanks to the addition of rookie Brandon Knight. Pair him with an emerging Greg Monroe and some other young pieces -- Rodney Stuckey, Jonas Jerebko and possibly Austin Daye -- and the Pistons do have some talent.

We're also very positive about their future draft possibilities. The team desperately needs size and there are a number of intriguing big men at the top of the 2012 NBA draft, led by Kentucky's shot-blocking machine Anthony Davis. If the Pistons can land him (or UConn's Andre Drummond or Kansas' Thomas Robinson) the impact on the court should be immediate.

The addition of new owner Tom Gores also is a positive. For the past few seasons GM Joe Dumars' hands have been tied as the widow of former Pistons owner Bill Davidson tried to sell the team. Dumars should be able to be much more aggressive going forward.

The two downsides for the team are significant, however. Regrettable contracts to Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva and (possibly) Tayshaun Prince will keep the Pistons from making significant additions via free agency. We also continue to hammer the Pistons on the market front. Detroit's economy is in a shambles and the once-rocking Palace is a graveyard these days.

(Previous rank: 28)

29. Phoenix Suns | Future Power Rating: 350
    50 (29th) 18 (30th) 140 (8th) 59 (10th) 83 (5th)

Our rankings have been really effective in predicting the rise of certain teams like the Pacers. It's also been strongly predictive of the catastrophic fall of a few teams like the Suns, who have slipped again from 26th to 29th this time.

They might just stay there a while.

Besides Steve Nash, Marcin Gortat and Jared Dudley, every other player on the roster who gets significant minutes has a PER below the league average. Meanwhile Nash is in the last year of his deal and the Suns continue to insist they don't want to trade him. The truth is, given how long they've waited, it's doubtful they could get much back in return anyway.

If Nash and Grant Hill bolt, the Suns will have some cap space next summer. But thanks to the senseless contracts owner Robert Sarver gave Hakim Warrick and Josh Childress two summers ago it won't be nearly as much as it could have been. Besides, who exactly on the free-agent market is going to replace Nash when he's gone?

Sarver's bumbling over the past few years has caused us to rank the Suns' management 30th in the league. Yes, we think even Minnesota's David Kahn and Glen Taylor could do this better. That's saying something.

The only good news? The team should have enough cap room to make at least one significant free-agent addition this summer, and the team should have high draft picks in the next few years. There's really not much more to say.

(Previous rank: 26)

30. Charlotte Bobcats | Future Power Rating: 338
    47 (30th) 33 (28th) 137 (9th) 23 (28th) 98 (1st)
    This is why we had Charlotte ranked dead last for most of the past two years even as it was challenging for the playoffs. With the roster bereft of young talent, the roster capped out and the management lacking, it was inevitable that the Bobcats would end up in the position they're in right now.
    The good news is that the recovery is slowly under way. We rated Charlotte's roster last given its glaring lack of star talent, but it has five or six young players who have established themselves as decent rotation players. And while we had Charlotte's management 28th -- it's tough to inspire too much confidence in Michael Jordan's stewardship after the ridiculous Tyson Chandler trade in the summer of 2010 -- newly hired general manager Rich Cho managed to pluck Byron Mullens from Oklahoma City and steer the Bobcats away from the tragic cap moves that were previously their standard course.

Charlotte will have draft picks and cap space, including a first-rounder from Portland in 2012, and while it owes a pick to Chicago from the Tyrus Thomas trade it's not likely to be conveyed to the Bulls until 2015 at the earliest -- which is beyond our three-year window for this evaluation. Keep an eye on that time bomb, however, as it could give Chicago a high lottery pick in 2016 when it becomes unprotected.

(Previous rank: 30)