Ardy
    Ardy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 213

XFL picks Week 1

Only a degenerate bets on stuff like this, but only a TRUE degenerate bets this far in advance and doesn't even have the deceny to wait for the Super Bowl to end.

So . . .

My picks:
    Houston -5
    TB -4'

Reasons/analysis: Really? Seriously?

Small $/TV fun size bets only, no investments buys (obviously), 3-1 on crap like this since stopping by here, so I'm on the houses' dime. (Or, nickel to be more accurate.)

I took Houston because I like Jones, and new rules for a quick paced game should favor his vertical passing game, right? (I'm having Houston Gambler's/Mouse Davis/Jim Kelly flashbacks here.) Concerns? Walker and Cook. How does Jones expect to run his O without a QB?

I'm on TB cuz I don't like Gilbride and do like Trestman.

Leaning Stoops over Hayes, but not gonna be crazy and bet every game in this first week (as if betting these at all isn't some mild form of insanity in and of itself.)

Ahh, what the hell, go for it, I'm buying Dal -6' to before it goes to -7. (Do they even have extra pts in this league? 2 pointers? Bueller? Anyone?) Stoops knows Landry. That oughtta be worth something, no? IF he plays week one.

And, so no one can call me Chalkboy, I'll take the dog in the only other game, the Seattle Dragons (apparently I've forgotten just how God-awful Zorn is as a HC) but waiting until closer to game day when I can get at least a full TD instead of the current +6'. (I think. Who knows.)

Only a denegrate bets crap like this. But only a TRUE degenerate bets this early.
    And bets them all.

(Note - unlike the NFL, the XFL will NOT test for marijuana. Which may also explain this post.)
    Last edited by Ardy; 01-30-20 at 04:43 PM.

Ardy

XFL totals are out!!!

(What's that 800 # to call if you think you have a gambling problem? )

I took the over in all four games, for two reasons:

First - What's more entertaining - a defensive struggle or an explosion of scoring?
    Scoring.
    And Vince McMahon is ALL about entertainment, right?

All the rule changes are geared towards making it easier to score. I think the books opened too low and will be playing catch up next week.

Second - Why not? A nod's as good as a wink, etc.
    Last edited by Ardy; 02-07-20 at 05:01 PM.

SBR Drew
    SBR Drew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Good Luck ....I am watching these picks.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

love to know how they set the lines for these games should be interesting see how close the experts are in setting the lines for this new league

Ardy

Drew,

No need to follow too closely, I have no idea what I'm doing here handicapping-wise, just curious to see what this new game looks like and gonna have a little fun, small money. But it's just as much a crapshoot for the books as it is for the public, so the odds of winning are about the same as any other sport.

Cincy,

Most books won't make lines for this, they'll do what they do every other day of the week - copy off the two or three guys that are savvy enough to make numbers and hope they can get dual action to squeeze a little vig out of it without any damage.

Good luck to you both and anyone else who's looking at the XFL today.

Forgot to add, waiting till game day to buy Seattle was the right move, got + 10.
    EVERY "capper/tout" says the same thing - Seattle's the worst team in the league, so they're all on DC.
    Anytime you're against the touts and the public that follows them and drives the line up four points you're in a good spot.
    Last edited by Ardy; 02-08-20 at 01:16 PM.

Ardy

Recap Game 1: Quote from above: "Apparently I've forgotten just how God-awful Jim Zorn is as a head coach."

Well it only took him one game to remind me.

Latter part of the fourth quarter, the Zorn's kick a FG, but running into the kicker gives him a first down. What does knucklehead do? He takes the points off the board, and, of course ends up getting zero after they fumble. The field goal had me within the spread.
    Football 101: NEVER take points off the board.

1-1 on the day because I got 49' for my total when posted and bet late in the week rather than wait to game day when it was likely going to go up.
    (My other totals are Houston 50, Tampa Bay 51', Dallas 52.)

Overall, I like the way they give you an inside look with the coaches, refs and replay booth mic'd up.
    Only one F word slipped through. Best part was Zorn when they fumbled after he took the field goal down, "Oh, gosh."

Wasn't too bad, I'll watch the Houston game.
    Last edited by Ardy; 02-08-20 at 04:25 PM.

Ardy

After a 3-1 Saturday I liked my position going into Sunday's four plays, needing only one W to escape Week One unscathed at 4-4, but . . . no. An 0-'fer.
    Not having Landy Jones hurt, Nelson grunts like Monica Seles, and she can probably throw a better spiral, too,
    Record: 3-5

Made one buy today before the # goes up: Houston -7.
    Also looking at a play against the Vipers and their pitiful offense, but that means having to trust Zorn again, gonna need a few more points before I consider them in this spot.

Good luck with your plays this week!

SBR Drew
    SBR Drew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Quote Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
    After a 3-1 Saturday I liked my position going into Sunday's four plays, needing only one W to escape Week One unscathed at 4-4, but . . . no. An 0-'fer.
    Not having Landy Jones hurt, Nelson grunts like Monica Seles, and she can probably throw a better spiral, too,
    Record: 3-5

Made one buy today before the # goes up: Houston -7.
    Also looking at a play against the Vipers and their pitiful offense, but that means having to trust Zorn again, gonna need a few more points before I consider them in this spot.

Good luck with your plays this week!

Great work...what do you see this week?

Ardy

Drew,
    Only game I bought was Houston, but I like DC, too.
    It's a couple minutes into it, too late to bet now, may jump in at halftime with a play if the number is ideal, will post if I do.

Ardy

This New York team's offense looks like the Tampa Bay Vipers (anyone who watched week 1 will get that reference.)

I'm taking DC in the second half - 1'.

Announcer asked New York quarterback McGloin what they need to change in the second half after getting shut out in the first half, and he said, "The whole entire game plan."
    I guess it can't be that he can't hit an open receiver.
    Got to bet against a finger-pointing bitch like him.
    Last edited by Ardy; 02-15-20 at 02:37 PM.

Ardy

Recap: Nailed that one when McGloin played as expected, tossing a pick six in the third quarter before getting yanked.

And since he was such a jackass at the end of the first half, the on field announcer couldn't resist trying to get another implosive quote out of him after he was benched. She asked for his take on the game thus far, and he said, "This is the worst offense I've ever played for."

What an inspiration to his teammates.
    They should fire his ass immediately after the game.
    Last edited by Ardy; 02-15-20 at 03:52 PM.