Originally posted on 09/11/2013:

Flipside, I know you're down on yourself, but that's only going to prevent you from escaping this rut.

Keep your head up and grind. It's all you can do to get back on your feet.

I had to deal with parents who didn't understand that I have to live my life on my own and form my own path ... and this was happening before I even finished high school. If you're anything like me, there is just no way it will work living with them long term. When I am at an impasse with someone -- even a loved one -- my position is non-negotiable. It's MY life, not theirs. That also means it's my responsibility to take care of myself.

Considering your age and your parents' complaints, I would just try to please them as long as I'm stuck under their roof. If it upsets you that much to abide by their rules, just use their anger and hatred as motivation to get your life back in order. Try your best to maintain a positive disposition in spite of the negativity they are throwing your way. Whenever you hear them criticizing you, just think to yourself, "Won't be long before I'm out of here and won't have to listen to your bullshit anymore, you asshole."

My impasse with my parents was over smoking weed in the house and so-called "wasted potential", but again, it's not like I was in my 20s when they started giving me way too much shit for wanting to find my own path in life. I probably would have shown them more respect if I had to move back in and they were willing to do me such a huge favor, but I was younger and felt differently about their verbal abuse. My father didn't understand my anxiety issues or think they were legit, despite what doctors told him, and it broke my heart.

It hit me during that time that I was the only person who gave a fukk about me and understood me. No one will want to help me, feel sorry for me, or give me a break. I drive this car. I knew only I could do something to change my life. I had to GTFO of there, or I could actually seriously hurt my own parents. How sick is that? I can't even be mad at them in retrospect, because I think they also have similar mental issues. They just never understood their own dysfunction or felt that they needed to seek help.

So off I went, with a chip on my shoulder, more focused on a goal than ever. Fortunately, I quickly landed a second job and got a fellow high-school senior to rent a small place with me. He and I went our separate ways within two years, but I still paid and worked my way through college. I then found a better job in civil litigation that has put me on firm footing financially for the near future. It's was a stressful few years. I lost a decent amount of hair during that time and missed out on a lot socially, but it beat the F out of living with parents whom I frankly don't care about anymore.

Ever since I moved, I've always been conservative with my spending and gambling and have never been in a position where I couldn't pay my bills. This is the key. If you're not already six months ahead on your bills, you're behind. You cannot have a "YOLO" philosophy and live for now if you don't understand the consequences. That may seem crazy, but it gives you a brief period to bounce back in case you lose a job or hit some other type of rough patch financially.

Another thing to consider is becoming an independent contractor or traveling down a self-employed route. This offers you freedom within your work, but it also means you have to be on your toes and make sure you have enough employers/clients/work to keep the money flowing in. Your taxes won't be the same, but if you're diligent and you find an area where there is a lot of work available, you can do well for yourself and not have to put up with anyone's shit.

Independence is beautiful. And guess who helped me get there? Those annoying parents.

Stop focusing so much on the idea of being stuck with your parents and think more about getting out of there. In other words, your mind should be creating the solution, not stuck on the problem. Visualize your route to claiming your independence and take that route. The road will have some potholes and bumps, but those are just lessons you have to learn along the way.

With a positive disposition and a chip on your shoulder (provided by your parents' criticism), I know you can get back on your feet in no time. In the mean time, waking up early and offering to take your siblings to school might make your parents back off a little.