bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alexander Expects to Play Against the Panthers

i think we all assumed it, but this confirms it.

Seahawks' Alexander Expects to Play Sunday

By GREGG BELL
    AP Sports Writer

January 16, 2006, 9:58 PM EST

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Shaun Alexander expects to be more than a cheerleader in the NFC championship game. Two days after a concussion knocked him out of Seattle's playoff win over Washington, a smiling Alexander was looking and feeling better, talking optimistically about being ready to play the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

But when someone asked if he felt as good as he looked, the NFL MVP wouldn't go that far.

"Um, no," Alexander said, jokingly running his hand against the side of his shaved head. "I wish."

Alexander's improved health was exactly what the Seahawks were wishing for.

"We've got to wait and see. But it looks pretty good," is what Alexander said doctors told him after he passed more of their tests Monday.

"It is what it is," Alexander said. "We play a violent sport."

He said he has not had any lingering symptoms from the blow he took while two Redskins tackled him 10 1/2 minutes into Saturday's game.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said doctors will continue to monitor their franchise running back, who rushed for a team-record 1,880 yards and set an NFL record with 28 touchdowns this season. Doctors have yet to clear Alexander to return to the field, but the coach expects Alexander to practice Wednesday, the Seahawks' next work day.

"It feels great," Holmgren said of Alexander's expected return. "I mean, he's the MVP of football and a big part of what we've done this season.

"More importantly, I'm glad. Anytime you see any player go down like that, you're nervous for him -- aside from what he can do for you as a football player. I'm glad he's OK."

The Seahawks, like all teams, don't hit in practices this late in a season. So there is little concern Alexander will be at risk before Sunday.

"He didn't get tired on Saturday," Holmgren said, smiling while referring to Alexander's six carries. "So he should be pretty fresh."

Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, whose running and passing led Seattle to the win after Alexander left, also expects to have his record breaker back.

"He's playing, as far as I'm concerned," Hasselbeck said. "Why wouldn't you? It's a big game."

Holmgren said game film appeared to show Washington linebacker LaVar Arrington hit Alexander in the side of his helmet with a knee. Alexander said he believed he was hit in the back of head, near his neck.

Alexander spent about a half hour after the hit seated on Seattle's bench wearing a team coat with the hood pulled up and rarely interacting with anyone. By the second half, he was leading the cheers for his top-seeded team.

He said he remembers getting hit -- and then nothing until he was sitting by himself on the bench.

"I looked up and saw Matt on the scoreboard (video screen)," he said. "And I looked down the bench and saw all the linemen gone. I said, 'Did I get knocked out?'

"I was out for about 20 minutes," the former Alabama star said. "For about 20 minutes there, I didn't know if I was me ... or if I was playing against the Auburn Tigers.

Alexander said this was the second time he's had a concussion.

Alexander's entire Saturday was bad. He had a severe cold all week but refused medication until just before the game. He said he then took "tons" of medicines and began to feel "loopy." That's how he started the game, he said.

On Seattle's first drive, Alexander lost a fumble without getting hit -- his second lost fumble in two games after none in 350 carries over 15 games this season.

"Medicine's good for some people," he said. "Not for me."

After his final hit, he was face down on the turf and propped up on both knees while Washington defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin urgently signaled to the Seattle sideline for medical attention. But some around the Seahawks claimed they saw some Redskins celebrating.

Alexander took that in stride.

"If you are taking football for what it is, I think it would be wise to try to take me out of the game, the way our team revolves around me," he said.

"If he was dancing, he probably thought he did a good job."

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

There was no way in hell he would have missed this game.