dculh
    dculh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

Very bad luck on the Notre Dame-Ohio State game

Guys,
    I have had a good year betting football this year. I just cashed out up 3 dimes. I cashed out because of horrible luck I had during the ND-Ohio State game. When the spread first came out my book had Ohio State a 6 point favorite. I was surprised the spread was that high. No matter what ND haters on this board were claiming ND was a top 5 team in the regular season. Their two losses easily could have been wins. I buy 1 1/2 points and have ND +7 1/2. I bet 2800 to win 2000. With 3.46 left in the game Ohio State is up 7 and has 3rd and 8 on their own 17. IF ND holds them they will be getting the ball around midfield only down 7. Of course Ohio State picks up the first down and then converted on a 3rd and 11 later in the drive. What kills me is with 1.46 left in the game they break a 60 yard run to win by 14. This one play cost me 4800. Think about it. IF ND makes the tackel they use their last timeout. Ohio State then takes a knee twice and the game is over. Ohio State would have won by 7 and I would have won the bet. I was so pissed I immediately cashed my account out and took the 3 dime profit. I'm still bitter about this today. I know it's gambling but it seems like you never win bets like this. For those of you who want to point out that Ohio State should have been up by more points because of turnovers I want to point out that ND was completely robbed when the officials overturned the fumble by Ohio State. The play after that Ohio State converted a field goal. It was a 10 point swing on one shitty call.
    Last edited by dculh; 01-06-06 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

You deserve what you got betting on the most overrated team in America...no way ND is a top 5 team....they are lucky to be a top 20 team and were very lucky to be down just 7 in the final few minutes to OSU....OSU could have won by 21 + in this game. This should be an important lesson for you not to fall for the media hype.

All these teams would be favored against ND if they were to play in a bowl game (assume none of the bowl games were played):

Michigan State
    Boston College
    Texas
    USC
    Ohio State
    West Viginia
    Georgia
    Penn State
    Florida State
    Virginia Tech
    Auburn
    Alabama
    LSU
    UCLA
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Texas Tech
    Nebraska
    NC State
    Clemson
    Georgia Tech
    Miami
    TCU
    Florida

ND would be favored against these schools:

BYU
    Navy
    Michigan
    Rutgers
    Arizona St
    So. Miss
    Arkansas St
    Toledo
    UTEP
    Kansas
    Houston
    Nevada
    UCF
    Memphis
    Akron
    Colorado
    South Carolina
    Missouri
    Boise St
    Tulsa
    Fresno St
    Iowa St
    Louisville
    Wisconsin

Sorry to hear about your loss

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Heck BuddyB, that's one hell of a list. No way half of those teams beat the Irish. They gotta be a top 3 team easy, EASY i say, particularly since Charlie is running the show. Unlucky this year is all.

kdmfox
    kdmfox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

That's it dculh, wind him up again.

begolf25
    begolf25's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ill get him really going Fox

Your gonna love this list Buddy Bear....

Pretty much makes Notre Dame a top 3 pick for National Champion next year.

2/19/2007 12:00 PM Team to win the Fiesta Bowl BCS Championship

1401 Alabama +5000
    1402 Auburn +2000
    1403 Arizona +17500
    1404 Arizona State +5000
    1405 California +2500
    1406 Clemson +8000
    1407 Colorado +15000
    1408 Florida +1200
    1409 Florida State +1000
    1410 Georgia +4000
    1411 Georgia Tech +8000
    1412 Iowa +3300
    1413 Louisville +3500
    1414 LSU +1200
    1415 Miami Florida +1800
    1416 Michigan +2200
    1417 Michigan State +12500
    1418 NC State +15000
    1419 Nebraska +6600
    1420 Notre Dame +600
    1421 Ohio State +800
    1422 Oklahoma +600
    1423 Oregon +5000
    1424 Penn State +2500
    1425 Tennessee +5000
    1426 Texas +550
    1427 Texas A and M +12500
    1428 UCLA +1500
    1429 Southern Cal +800
    1430 Virginia +8000
    1431 Virgina Tech +1500
    1432 West Virginia +2000
    1433 Wisconsin +5000
    1434 Field +1200

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Mad I didn't say beat them...I said they would be favored on a neutral site over ND. Big difference!

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Begolf....Tenn was ranked #2 to start the year....scUM was ranked #4 or #5....what's your point?

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Oddsmakers know the public is in love with ND....a lot of money should come in on the Irish....thus oddsmakers would lower the price. Common sense. Doesn't mean they are going to win.

begolf25

Relax man, Im not trying to start shit. I figured you would have a field day tearing apart why Notre Dame would not win a national championship next year. Not every post on here is an attack against you, just havin fun.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

I think there is a misunderstanding...i am referring to this year's Irish team....ND should be better next year if Quinn stays.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

how is it that god hath forsaken notre dame and its fighting irish?

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

LOL, Just trying to stir ya up BuddyB.

dculh
    dculh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

Dude the point is if Ohio State does not break the play 60 yards for a TD I win the bet. It has nothing to do with ND being overrated. The odds of me losing that bet with 1.46 left was around 100-1. Ohio State was just killing time. IF ND makes the tackle I win the bet. Your response basically shows you are biased against ND. How is a 9-2 team that lost two games by 3 points overrated? Plus one of the loses was to USC on the last play of the game. Losing to Ohio State does not make ND overrated. Ohio State was the favorite. Using your logic Auburn and Miami were overrated. You can't be taken serious dude because of your intense hatred for ND. IF ND had stopped Ohio State on 3rd and 8 and scored to tie the game up and preceeded to win in overtime, you would still say they sucked.

begolf25

My bad buddy, this doesn't sound like someone that thinks Notre Dame will be good anytime soon...

"Just like every year, there will be high expectations for ND and like every year the Irish will fail to meet those expectations....and with their annual losses to MSU and BCU forthcoming, ND will show they are nothing more than an average football program living off a past glory that doesn't exist. But we'll here the standard line from ND apologists that "we have a great recruiting class" and "Weiss is going to turn things around"....ND fans I don't know if you realize this anymore but you are an average program and you being in the BCS is a product of your ability to attract a large television audience not on the quality of your play. You haven't won a bowl game since 1993...that should tell you all you need to know about the ND program."

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

I disagree that the incomplete pass should have been ruled a fumble - really don't think it was even close, but I empathize with your loss.

Here is a (serious) list of schools that I have favored over Notre Dame on a neutral field:

Texas
    USC
    Ohio State
    West Viginia
    Georgia
    Penn State
    Virginia Tech
    Auburn
    LSU
    Oklahoma

I can go either way on Florida, Clemson and Miami.

BigD
    BigD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

I love how Buddy Bear likes to rip ND every chance he gets while Michigan State and John L Smith are home spanking it while ND picking up 15mil in the BCS. When John L can figure out how to kick a field goal and not go 2-6 in the big ten and make a bowl game maybe then you can rip ND and Charlie Weiss

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Yeah I know MSU sucks in football....but they did beat ND in football don't you think Big D?

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Begolf...they havn't won a bowl game in 12 years what makes you say they are a great program? They weren't even competitive in their bowl game

RamblinRoyce
    RamblinRoyce's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with Buddy - ND is over-rated and the bookies adjust knowing the public has a strong affinity for the Irish...more than any other team i can think of. If Texas Tech played ND, i'd pick Tech hands down...and Tech isn't good...I'd like to see that match up.

sorry bout the loss dculh, but you prob shouldn't have staked that much considering it sounds like about half your profits...but then again, i do that too...but i know it ain't sma-aart.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

DC: you need to factor in ND's poor defense next time you cap a game....should have seen that one coming. I feel for you bro.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

I am not trying to be a jerk....i've already admitted that I like watching ND football and such....but the team is overrated....it's not their fault...it's a product of the college football media's obsession with them. It's not their fault their schedule turned out weak....who would have known Tenn woudl suck, Purdue would suck, Pitt would suck, Mich would suck, etc....

People got caught up in that USC game.....that's what made ND so attractive....OSU is a damn good football team. The spread should have opened up -7.5 or higher in my opinion.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Razz mine was serious too....i think you are missing a few teams. BC would be favored and so would FSU.

begolf25

I never said ND was a great prgram, let me know if I did. I just posted the odds trying to have some fun with the thread. I could care less about what anyone thinks about ND football.

spanky
    spanky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

bad beats in football

crying about a 60yd run with 1:46 left in game,you better stop gambling.the typical gambler suffers a few of these every year.

ChrisV
    ChrisV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dude, you can't even be serious about that incomplete being a shitty call....not even close. You must have had blinders on due to the bet.

OSU completely dominated the game. ND is over-rated every single year and it shows in their bowl games....they've lost how many straight now? And even been dismantled by the ****ing Beavers 2 times in the last 5 years...laughable.

But I will agree that at that very moment in the game, you were extremely unlikely to lose your 7.5 point spread bet.

RamblinRoyce
    RamblinRoyce's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree.

Agree.

Extremely Unlikely - Disagree. He had a good chance but in your experience of viewing all games - Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Shuffleboard, Snooker, Horseshoes... how often are points scored in the final minutes and seconds of a game?

Down to the wire...