bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Packers fire Sherman

Packers fire Sherman after 4-12 season

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer
    January 2, 2006

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Green Bay fired coach Mike Sherman on Monday, a day after the Packers finished their worst season in 15 years.

"At the end of the day I felt like we needed to go in a different direction," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said at a news conference.

The Packers closed their season with a win over Seattle on Sunday night as Brett Favre threw his first touchdown pass in five games, but finished with a 4-12 record.

Sherman's first five years brought success but not another title in Green Bay. His record was 53-27 in the regular season, which was good enough to tie Steelers coach Bill Cowher for fifth among NFL coaches in their first 80 games. Sherman finished 57-39 in six seasons.

Things began unraveling early in 2005 with injuries to top wide receiver Javon Walker and running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport as the Packers started 1-7.

Sherman, who signed a two-year contract extension in August, said throughout the year he wasn't concerned about his position and didn't feel he was coaching for his job.

But Thompson sidestepped questions about Sherman's future in recent weeks and never gave him a public vote of confidence even after the Packers ended the season with a 23-17 win against the Seahawks.

Thompson said he would start interviewing head coaching candidates this week.

Sherman was just 2-4 in the playoffs despite winning three consecutive division titles for only the fourth time in team history -- joining Vince Lombardi, who did it twice (1960-62, 1965-67) and Mike Holmgren (1995-97). The other two coaches won Super Bowl titles, but a Sherman-led team never made it to the NFC championship game.

bigboydan

i think sherman is getting a raw deal here. all of his players were injured, and he didn't have any control over that at all.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree dan. I think he will land another head coaching job very soon though.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i think sherman is getting a raw deal here. all of his players were injured, and he didn't have any control over that at all.
    I think sometimes it doesn't matter if the coach overachieved in some situations because the GM just wants to change up the dynamics of the team. Maybe this is the easiest way to get rid of one of the NFL's best QBs?

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Firstly - First time poster on this site. I've been reading/lurking for months and really have enjoyed coming here. I think I have a new forum home... Anyhow.:>

I disagree that Sherman got a raw deal.
    There were 3 or 4 valid reasons to remove him. While I think he is an excellent coach, it was the correct move for the Packers.

I am a loyal Pack fan and have been for a looong long time, but I think I can see this objectively enough to give points.

1- Discipline. This was inconsistent while Sherman was in Green Bay. It may not be ALL Sherm's fault, and while they were never the most penalized team - they had severe mental breakdowns at several key points in many games that either cost the team a chance or damaged a game... Be it 2-3 guys on defense blowing an assignment (4th and 26 play - this falls more on the D coordinator at the time who is now screwing up atlanta's D:> ) or a mental error that created a drive killing or drive saving (for the other team) penalty for the other team. These are hallmarks of Sherman's teams... They ALWAYS took a bad penalty in a big spot. I think coaching and preparation are a big part of those breakdowns.

2- Control over the team. If it weren't for Favre, this team would stink. However, Sherman never coached Favre or got him on his side in the way he needed him. Favre never really stood up for Sherman when needed, nor did he rally behind him. Sure Favre liked free reign under Sherm - but Brett never once gave him the loyalty and respect a head coach needs. Sherman just could not motivate Brett at all. Favre CONSTANTLY came out flat since Holmgren left in virtually every game. I wonder why...

Two important things that come to mind in this. 1- when Sapp took out Chad Clifton a few years back.. Who stood up for Clifton? Sherman. That said a lot about the kind of leadership Brett had - it was the coach doing the junk talk and the players all quit. If Sherman was more respected by Favre, that would've been different. 2- When Green Bay was running for 200 yards/game and were dominating opponents in the 2003 season, Favre whined that they were not throwing enough. Meanwhile, Ahman Green + the O line were making them a contender and Favre wouldn't get in line (like Elway had to do at the end of his career). Sherman gave into Favre and the team's dominance faded and they were only 'good', not 'great'. Plus think about the running game and how it helps disguise a crappy defense. Sherman did not shut up Favre nor try to control him. BIG mistake in my book and that's huge in why he should go.

3- In game management.
    Anyone who watches the Packers knows Sherman's 2 minute drill decisions and play calling are not only predictable - but sometimes illogical. Sometimes he makes a big management mistake and allows it to impact his thoughts. He brought in Vince Tobin to help in 2004 and he didn't even bother to pay attention to him it seemed. His in game management was a disgrace. Not quite Mike Shanahan or Herm Edwards bad - but damn close.

4- Player/personnel decisions. While he was no longer the GM, his drafts flat out stunk. Either that or he failed to develop the talent. Most of the high round draft picks were over-confident and were always out of shape, late to camp, and overweight. None really reached their potential. Nick Barnett is probably his best pick - and he is not a middle linebacker. He can't tackle very well (despite setting the team record this year... Sad, isn't it). The ONLY players that developed reasonably well under Sherman were Aaron Kampman (a strong #3 end, or a mediocre #2 DE) and Tony Fisher (who is a #3 back or 3rd down back at best in the NFL). A late round pick and an undrafted rookie. For some reason, lunchpail guys responded to Sherman, but no one else. It's a mystery why he didn't draft more guys like that.

I like Sherman, but he just couldn't get Brett to shut up and play. Bretts no primadonna, but he's got to be a better leader and Sherman did nothing to help Brett be a good leader. Brett's the franchise, he's got to work better with the head coach. So this firing is more on Brett's shoulders than Sherms, I believe... But even so, it had to be done. He'll be a good coach somewhere else, hopefully with a hungry and young team. He can coach a team without stars that are bigger than life.
    Last edited by McBa1n; 01-02-06 at 06:12 PM.

bigboydan

first off, let me welcome you to the sbrforum McBa1n

i must say, you do make a strong case for sherman's firing.

Senator7
    Senator7's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with the firing, but I don't like that it could mean the end of Favre and the Packers.

Rumors around here are saying that they're seriously looking at four guys:

Jim Bates (current Packer DC)

Tim Lewis (Giants' DC)

Brad Childress (Eagles' OC)

Steve Mariucci (former Lions HC)

Word on the street is that whatever coach they hire has to be famaliar with the West Coast Offense to help Aaron Rodgers.

One coach on the list is very famaliar with the Packers, the West Coast Offense, and he's someone that Favre would stick around for: Steve Mariucci.

I've wanted Mooch in Green Bay since he was coaching the Niners. Bates is too old and has little offensive acumen. Childress would be okay, but he's unproven. Lewis would be alright, but Mooch would be a perfect fit for the Pack.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Senator,

I would love to see Tim Lewis get a shot. Probably not as good an all around coach as Mariucci, but would love to see an old Packer get the job. I still remember that Monday night game that ended his career, I think I was eleven or twelve at the time.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

If they hire Mariucci, it would be a mistake on the scale of accepting communism.

Senator7

Quote Originally Posted by clonecat
    Senator,

I would love to see Tim Lewis get a shot. Probably not as good an all around coach as Mariucci, but would love to see an old Packer get the job. I still remember that Monday night game that ended his career, I think I was eleven or twelve at the time.
    If we can't get Mariucci, Lewis is my second choice. If we don't get either, then I think it was a mistake to fire Sherman. There was talk at midseason that Childress was going to get a shot if Sherman was canned. He's got Wisconsin roots, serving as a coordinator for Barry Alvarez at UW, but he's unproven and too risky of a pick.

If we get Mooch, I'll be so happy that I'll get absolutely hammered. Lewis would be okay too. Anybody else and I'm not liking our prospects for the future.

I don't know about this Ted Thompson guy either. He didn't do much in Seattle and he seems like he's a moron. He seems to be pushing Brett Favre out the door which isn't real smart. One, Favre is a legend. Two, Rodgers isn't anywhere near ready to be the starter and I'm not convinced he'll ever be. Three, with a healthy surrounding cast, Favre could continue to play at a high level for another season or two.

Thompson wants to rebuild the Packers and I don't think that's necessary. I think you get Walker back healthy, re-sign Green, Davenport, Kampman, and Rod Gardner (who was a great addition). The Packers have the 5th overall pick this year and I'm just praying that AJ Hawk is still on the board. That would allow them to move Nick Barnett to his more natural position on the outside. Hawk would be a perfect fit in Green Bay and he could immediately be an impact player on defense. The Packers have no reason to rebuild. They're only a few re-signings and draft picks away from another division title in the weak NFC North.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

this senator is a communist

Senator7

Why am I a communist? Because I think Steve Mariucci is a good coach?

By the way, those here that know my politics know that I am the farthest thing from a communist that you'll ever encounter.

If you're going to throw sand in the sandbox, just keep it out of my eyes.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I'm a Niners fan and hated the way we shipped Mooch out of town, I think he's a great coach and a great man, I hope he lands that job in GB as I think it is a perfect fit for him and the Packers.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Moocher is one of the great personalities in the game - but I don't believe in him as an NFL head coach. Coordinator, yes, position coach, yes. Head coach... ehhh, not really.

Mooch is more of a college coach IMO. His teams are always full of scandal with players yapping in the media. That's not a team then, that's every man for themself. He's too good a guy and too good of a football man to NOT be a coach, but I think he'd work great under a strong personality and an iron fisted coach. In fact, he'd thrive, much like so many coaches have over the years under Mike Holmgren (working under Holmgren really was what propelled him into bigger jobs).

Mooch is not going to coach Green Bay and I'd even wager that he won't be interviewed. They are likely taking a college coach.
    Favre will be back, also.

Bates is a possibility, because they might lose him if they don't promote him and dang that'd be a big shame. I don't know what kind of coach I'd want, but I sure as hell want one that'l get all over Favre for his 'rocketballs'... I still think Brett can play a couple more years and be effective.