Shawn01
    Shawn01's Avatar Become A Pro!

Shawn's "Let it ride" weekend

I'm nothing more than a rec bettor doing this on a whim. Mine is a single income family with a mortgage, car payment and all the other usual bills. I don't make a lot per year and make only small wagers. I know the odds will most likely catch up with me so if I lose my meager bankroll I'm done with this folly and I'll have enjoyed it. Therefore, I'm betting my entire account at VIP this weekend. If I come out even or ahead I'm cashing out and moving the money to an account at CRIS. If I lose, oh well. If I end up taking a hit but have a little left I'll continue playing with it at VIP, trying to build it back up. So far in my short stint of betting I'm slightly ahead.

My "Let it ride" bets are:

Wisconsin -3 (-110)

K.C. +2 (-110)
    NY Giants -9.5 (-110)
    Denver -3 (-105)
    Seattle -6.5 (-110)
    Miami ML (+125)
    Arizona ML (+165)
    'Frisco +13 (-110)
    New England/Miami Over 40.5 (-110)
    'Zona/Detroit Over 39.5 (-110)
    Green Bay/Atlanta Over 41.5 (-110)

I wish I'd not bet on Seattle and I'm a bit nervous about the Denver pick. However, I do believe the Cardinals can beat the Lions and that Miami has a legitimate chance to win. I'm betting Wisconsin only because it's Alvarez's last ever game at home and I think the Badgers will leave it all on the field for him.

Wish me luck

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Best of luck to you there fella' - hope it's a winning weekend.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

good luck brother

maritime
    maritime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck. Just curious, are these all straight bets for equal amounts? Any parlays or other bets?

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

good luck Shawn...we're rooting for you!

Shawn01

They are all straight bets. I don't know what I'm doing enough to mess around with parlays.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

Good luck Shawn. I hope you make a profit so you can continue to enjoy sports wagering.

Max Levine
    Max Levine's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck, Shawn! Rooting for you

Max

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

GL, Shawn!

I see you've got 11 different bets listed. Barring a complete catatrophe, you'll probably still have a decent chunk of your bankroll left after the weekend.

Shawn01

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00
    GL, Shawn!

I see you've got 11 different bets listed. Barring a complete catatrophe, you'll probably still have a decent chunk of your bankroll left after the weekend.
    Yes, and if I can come out ahead by one or two of those bets I'll profit (all bets are equal amounts).

And that begs the question of whether it's better to cast a net of bets, like I did, or to wager on 2-4 "safe" picks with higher wager amounts. I'm trying to figure out which makes more sense. It's not that I pick what I think are bad or risky bets when I "cast the net" with multiple bets, but if I were to pick only those bets I feel are safest, for example, I would not have bet on Denver, Seattle, Miami, Arizona or Frisco. Well, I may have still taken the ML flyer on the Cardinals because I just think they will win this week. Using the so-called "safe" method I would have only bet:
    K.C. +2 (2 units)
    NY Giants -9.5 (2 units)
    Overs in Pack/Falcons and N.E./Miami (1 unit each)
    ML on 'Zona (1 unit)

I would only play ML flyers on dogs I feel could win, which wouldn't be every week. Actually, I should have taken a ML on the Chiefs game, since I think they will win, the spread is so tight and it pays out better. Oh well, live and learn.

Shawn01

Oh, thanks to all for the well wishes. GL to all of you as well.

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn01
    And that begs the question of whether it's better to cast a net of bets, like I did, or to wager on 2-4 "safe" picks with higher wager amounts.
    Yep, personally i like to try and focus my efforts. Some swear by diversification. However i am reminded by a very wise and successful investor that said that it is ok to have all your eggs in one basket. So long as you watch the basket.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by mad
    Yep, personally i like to try and focus my efforts. Some swear by diversification. However i am reminded by a very wise and successful investor that said that it is ok to have all your eggs in one basket. So long as you watch the basket.
    I was being very disciplined, betting 1-5 units per game for whatever games I was betting. But last week I got 20 units on the Pats +3.5 and +200 on the M.L. So there is something to be said for diversification. I've got a couple games I really like this week. I'm so tempted to stick another 20 units on those two games, but I am holding myself to 5 units each, so far.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

5-6. Could of been worse with that many bets. Are you going to CRIS or staying at VIP for another week?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

you didn't get hit too bad shawn, considering the type of week it was.

Shawn01

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    5-6. Could of been worse with that many bets. Are you going to CRIS or staying at VIP for another week?
    I'm going to play 1 or 2 more weeks at VIP and, unless I lose those bets, I'm moving to CRIS.