bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 Carolina Panthers Breakdown

Has any franchise in the NFL seen so many ups and downs so quickly? Since 2002, the Panthers have been 7-9, 11-5(Super Bowl), 7-9, 11-5(NFL Championship). Going by that trend 2006 would be a down year for the Cats. Not in my book. I really like the Panthers is 2006, so much so that they are my choice to represent the NFC in Super Bowl XLI. For any team to make it to the Super Bowl alot has to go right. They have to avoid injuries to key players. They have to get career years from guys that weren’t expected to do a whole lot, and to be honest, they need to be a little bit lucky. Carolina has alot of tools and they have a top notch head coach that gets little recognition for the job he has done. I am a little concerned about the building steriod controversy that is swirling around the team, but if they can steer clear of that storm all signs point for the Panthers to be in Miami in February.

Team Strengths:

This team has tons of leadership on both sides of the ball. Jake Delhomme is the type of quarterback that any fan would want to have on their team. He is fiery and fearless and seems to play his best when the game is on the line. It doesn’t hurt when you have one of the best weapons in the game to throw the ball to in Steve Smith. After missing almost all of 2004 with a broken leg, Smith was co-Comeback Player of the Year last year and received alot of consideration in MVP voting. He is small in stature but always seems to be behind the man trying to cover him and can make the tough catch accross the middle. The running game received a boost when the Panthers drafted DeAngelo Williams with their first round pick to play with oft’ injured Deshaun Foster. Look for both to see alot of action this season. On defense, the Panthers seem stacked. The D-Line is the strength, with Julius Peppers and Mike Rucker on the outside. They are also stout up the middle, with Kris Jenkins on the line and Dan Morgan at MLB. Ken Lucas and Chris Gamble are pesky cover guys and verteran safety Mike Minter patrols center field. The defense ranked 3rd in the NFL last season and very easily could top that in 2006.

Team Weaknesses:

Not many to be honest, but injuries always seem to be a thorn in the side of Carolina. Several of the players listed above have significant injury histories, starting with Kris Jenkins who has missed the better part of the last two season with different ailments. Dan Morgan is a walking CAT scan, and might be one concussion away from retirement. Mike Rucker has also missed time and the Panthers are going to need their star defenders on the field. DeShaun Foster has yet to play a full season at running back and Steve Smith has had leg problems in the past. Health is going to be a major concern. The schedule is brutal as well, with the NFC South and NFC East playing each other this season. The Panthers also have to play the AFC North, with games at Baltimore and at Cincinnati.

2006 Panthers Schedule:

Atlanta
    @Minnesota
    @Tampa Bay
    New Orleans
    Cleveland
    @Baltimore
    @Cincinnati
    Dallas
    Tampa Bay
    St. Luis
    @Washington
    @Philadelphia
    NY Giants
    Pittsburgh
    @Atlanta
    @New Orleans

When the difference between winning and losing is that razor thin I look at leadership, both on the field and on the sidelines to be the difference. With Jake Delhomme at QB and Head Coach John Fox the Panthers have two great leaders to see them through the storm of the NFL regular season. I think this team is primed for big things in 2006 and the near miss last season has them hungry for more. At 12-4, I think they will be the #2 seed heading into the playoffs, but a tough schedule, combined with the cupcake schedule Seattle plays, will give Carolina the advantage when the two teams meet in a NFC Championship Game rematch. Will the win the Super Bowl? You’ll have to wait for that. But it’s going to be a Super season in deed for the Panthers.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Delhomme is going to do better with having a 2nd serious option in Keyshawn. He's the perfect fit on that offense.