bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 New York Giants Breakdown

How long does it take a predominately verteran football team to grow tired of the antics of a military type head coach? Apparently about 2 years, because as Tom Coughlin heads into season 3 in the Giants appear to be right at that point

Team Strengths:
    Barber is still highly productive, even after hitting his 30’s, usually a death sentence to running backs. Michael Strahan is still getting to the quarterback, and coupled with Osi Umeniyoora make up the best DE bookends in the League. LaVar Arrington was added to a linebacker corp that was devestated by injuries late last season. Former Baltimore Raven Will Demps was brought in to shore up a secondary exposed by Carolina in the playoffs. The Giants have some playmakers at receiver, with Plaxico Burress and Jeremy Shockey leading the way, and a quarterback that should be primed for a breakout season in Eli Manning.

Team Weaknesses:
    Team chemistry is a big issue on the Giants. It is well documented that Eli Manning and Plaxico Burress have a rocky relationship to say the least. Shockey has also criticized Manning, so how this all plays out will be something to watch. Manning is not the vocal leader his brother is and his demeanor is starting to create problems in the locker room. Even with the addition of Demps, the DB’s are a concern. Steve Smith and Co. smoked the Giants during the playoffs and the DB play will have to improve for the Giants to have success in the East. The Giants totally confused me and everyone else drafting a D-Lineman, Mathias Kiwanuka, in the draft. D-Line is a position of strength and the Giants failed to upgrade he areaas that need it, like the O-Line.

2006 Giants Schedule:

Indianapolis
    @Philadelphia
    @Seattle
    Washington
    @Atlanta
    @Dallas
    Tampa Bay
    Houston
    Chicago
    @Jacksonville
    @Tennessee
    Dallas
    @Carolina
    Philadelphia
    New Orleans
    @Washington

The Giants are a ticking timebomb. Coughlin can wear out a welcome quickly and it is only a matter of time before the team leaders tune him out. Eli Manning has yet to prove he is going to be anything close to his brother. My projection for The Giants is 9-7

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Manning is and has always been an overrated clown. He is the weak link on an incredibly talented offense that should be capable of scoring 30 a game no matter who they're playing. They finish second in the NFC East to Dallas but they'll get into the Wildcard game where they could be quite dangerous.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The one thing i liked about Manning this year is that he put alot of time in practicing with his brother Payton. I think that will pay off this year for him. If he had another year under his belt, I probly would have projected the Giants as a 11-5 type team.

John Galt1
    John Galt1's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Barber stays healthy I think the Giants win the NFC east. He always puts up the numbers. Good QB in Manning, good receivers in Burress and Toomer, and probably the best TE in the game.
    Sure, offensive line could be better but I thing the main concern for NY is the chemistry problem that bigboydan mentioned above. If they are not distracted by internal issues or by the NY media they will be fine. I could see them going 10-6 or better