bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 Washington Redskins Season Breakdown

Year 3 in the return of Joe Gibss in Washington begins in the midst of really big expectations. After a slow start in 2005 that had “experts” wondering if the game had passed him by, the Redksins won their final 5 games to finish 10-6, and went on to beat Tampa Bay in the playoffs. It was the playoff win that has everyone excited going into 2006 and with Synder pumping millions of dollars in free agent acquisitions the skins are expected to win now. They are a good team, but a tough division will make a good record hard to come by.

Team Strengths

Gibbs is a Hall of Fame coach, so his ability is really unquestioned. He has put together a staff that rivals any team in any sport. Greg Williams returns as the defensive coordinator, and probably has the inside track on the job when Gibb’s decides to head back to NASCAR IMO.

To help with the offense, Gibbs hired Al Saunders, architect for the Kansas City Chiefs attack the last 5 seasons. Saunders’ creative schemes should improve the Redskins attack, especially in the Red Zone. The skins were active in the free agent market, snagging versatile Antwan Randel El on offense, and safety Adam Archuleta. Both will be improvements over the players they are replacing. Randel El will be used very similarly to the way the Steelers were able to use him, all over the field, even at QB. Santana Moss had a breakout season in 2005, and will look to cement his status as one of the games’ greats.

Team Weaknesses:
    Mark Brunell and the loss of Portis will not help the skins chances this year. Brunell has been on the decline for a few years now, and people seem to forget that for some reason. Behind Brunell is Jason Campbell, who the redskins seem to love but is very unproven, making any injury to Brunell could be a crushing blow to there season.

Washington Redskins schedule:

Minnesota
    @Dallas
    @Houston
    Jacksonville
    @NY Giants
    Tennessee
    @Indianapolis
    Dallas
    @Philadelphia
    @Tampa Bay
    Carolina
    Atlanta
    Philadelphia
    @New Orleans
    @St. Louis
    NY Giants

The skins are built to win right now! There is no 5 year plan when you are dealing with a head coach that could call it quits at any time to go back to NASCAR. I the skins just aren’t that good enough to make a serious run this year. My projection on this team is that they will go 9-7

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

They might get to 10, but 8-9 is more likely.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mark "INT" Brunell is the key this year to this teams success. I don't feel it's so much Portis really, because i think they can find a capable RB to fill the void if he's going to be out for a while.