bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 Atlanta Falcons Season Breakdown

I don't think there has been a more of a disappointing team in 2005 than the Atlanta Falcons. After reaching the NFC championship game coach Mora in his first year, the Falcons took a step backwards last season as Michael Vick continued to struggle with the west coast offense.

Team Strengths:

Vick could be the most dynamic weapon in the NFL from a pure athletic standpoint. If Vick does get injured this year at all, Matt Schaub can come in to run this offense and most likely not miss a beat.

Team Weaknesses:

The defnsive backs for Atlanta are going to need to play well for Falcons to get back to their 2004 success. The other teams in the NFC south all figure to have great offenses and how the defense defends those great players in that Division is very questionable. The trade of T.J. Duckett could be hurt them big around the goal line.

2006 Atlanta Falcons Schedule:

@Carolina
    Tampa Bay
    @New Orleans
    Arizona
    NY Giants
    Pittsburgh
    @Cincinnati
    @Detroit
    Cleveland
    @Baltimore
    New Orleans
    @Washington
    @Tampa Bay
    Dallas
    Carolina
    @Philadelphia

The situation in Atlanta is definitely puzzling to me. Vick is an incredible talent, but the Falcons coaching staff has yet to build the offensive system around Vick for what he does best, and thats run. My projection on the Falcons this year is 8-8.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I think Vick needed Duckett to stay more than he needed Lelie. On paper, it sounds great, but Vick is a really crappy passer with a freakin cannon (the kind of guy Lelie needs - should he not drop the ball 5x/game). They have a pretty tough NFC schedule and I'm not sold on their Defensive chemistry. I think they have THE worst D coordinator in the NFL in Donatell, but top 5 in talent. Christ, they picked up some NASTY players on D in the off season... VERY nasty players.

I think between Vick not being a very good passer (lets face it, he stinks as a passer, but is better than his backup) and them not having true Defensive cohesion (read: Minnesota last year) and a crap defensive coordinator...
    They won't get very far.
    I was thinking 9-7 for Atlanta (because the NFC isn't very good), but studying their schedule, I'm thinking 7-9.

Just to clarify my point about Duckett/Lelie... You need as many backs as you can get in the NFL. Atlanta has no option OTHER than the incredibly talented/durable Warrick Dunn. Sure he's elusive, but he can't get tough yards without help. Duckett didn't need that help.
    Now, people talk about Atlanta's rushing attack - but fail to talk about their passing game. Sure, with the best running QB of all time you BETTER have the best running attack (plus 2 very solid NFL backs last season). McNabb learned how to get the ball out his hands at around this point in his career, but can Vick? I don't think Vick has the humility to do that... He claimed he did all he could last year.

If that was his best, then he'll never be the best... That's all I have to say.

As for Lelie - he's a GREAT deep option with sub-par hands. And that will help Vick how again? Vick didn't mesh with Peerless Price... To me, that says a lot. Price paid his bills with yards after the catch... He paid no bills in Atlanta. It doesn't matter who Vick is throwing to, as long as they can catch tough balls thrown off-line. If anything, they should've got the master: Keyshawn Johnson... Heck even T.O. has great range catching poorly thrown balls (Javon Walker would've been another great option - he has great heart going after balls thrown poorly).

I don't mean to kill Vick, but his head is too big for his odds at winning a superbowl, despite being on a team that has MORE than enough talent to win a superbowl at almost every position.

Zikaris
    Zikaris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

With that schedule they'll be pretty damn lucky to go 8-8.