BigD
    BigD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1863

Coach Sutton done for season

Coach Sutton done for season
    Oklahoma St. coach Eddie Sutton is taking 'medical leave' for the rest of the season after a traffic accident Friday resulted in a citation for driving under the influence of alcohol.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

he's 69 years old right now. how much longer can this guy coach i wonder anyways.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks for the info. bigd...

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    he's 69 years old right now. how much longer can this guy coach i wonder anyways.

I was under the impression this was his final year anyway.

bigboydan

winston, i doubt he wants to go out in this fashion. because, that will probly tarnish his legacy.

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can't disagree with that, and he's also 6 wins or so away from 800. It would be unfortunate.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

He won't go out like that. He will be back coaching next season.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    he's also 6 wins or so away from 800. It would be unfortunate.
    the reports out today i see are that. oak st. will give the wins to eddie sutton, because it's some little loophole in the ncaa rules that will allow that to happen somehow.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

the reports out today i see are that. oak st. will give the wins to eddie sutton, because it's some little loophole in the ncaa rules that will allow that to happen somehow.
    Yeah, I heard that last night.

I think we seen the last of Eddie. I dont think we will him back next season.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is 6 wins away from 800. Interesting enough if his son
    wins a game it still goes to daddies credit.

Illusion

That's a strange loophole.

bigboydan

just heard that eddie sutton announces that he has a drinking problem, and will be entering a treatment program in the next few weeks.

if anyone remembers, this will be the 2nd time he has seeked treatment for alcohal abuse.

Illusion

Yeah, he went for treatment back in the 80's

bigboydan

Oklahoma State coach Sutton charged with DUI

February 17, 2006

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) -- Oklahoma State basketball coach Eddie Sutton was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol Friday, a week after tests showed his blood alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit following a car crash.

Sutton, who is on a medical leave of absence, also was charged by Payne County prosecutors with speeding and driving left of center.

Following last Friday's accident, tests showed Sutton had a blood alcohol content of .22, almost three times the legal limit in Oklahoma, according to an affidavit filed with the misdemeanor charge.

Sutton, 69, admits he has an alcohol problem and said earlier this week he plans to seek treatment.

On Wednesday, Sutton apologized for the accident that has cast a cloud over the future of his 35-year coaching career.

"I have a problem with alcohol," Sutton said. "That said, I make no excuses for what has happened. I recognize it and I will be seeking treatment for it. I know I have let many people down."

Sutton coached at Creighton, Arkansas and Kentucky before taking over at his alma mater for the 1990-91 season. He's fifth on the NCAA Division I career coaching wins list with 794. He trails only Dean Smith (879), Adolph Rupp (876), Bob Knight (867) and Jim Phelan (830).

When he became the coach at OSU in 1990, he openly spoke of his struggle with alcoholism.

Sutton underwent treatment at the Betty Ford Center in 1987 while he was coach at Kentucky. When discussing the issue three years later, he said, "I've dealt with it."

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

This guy's been mashed for decades.

bigboydan

sutton was 3x's over the legal limit. not to mention he was jacked up on prescription pills as well.

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

I am from Oklahoma City and this talk has been dominating sports talk here. With this DUI charge now, I doubt he will come back let alone the school might not want him back. He been there for so long I doubt they fire him but talk to him and tell him it would be better to just step down.

Im an OU fan but I know that all the OSU fans are still in shock that this is happening. Same thing at UK and they fired him I believe so. Too bad for this guy. Woulda been a sure shot HOF with the 800 W's but now its a toss up.

bigboydan

i seen this morning on espn news that eddie sutton will be retiring today.

Illusion

It sucks he didn't get to 800 wins, but this is a wise move in my opinion.

priceperheadexpert
    priceperheadexpert's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Raptors fired Gene Keady..Maybe in a few years like Carrill and keady, he can assist a NBA franchise..He may have had a bad exit, but his wins and his passion speak for itself..