bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jerry Bailey will finaly retire January 28th

he's been thinking about retiring a few years ago. i just can't believe he finaly has decided to call it quits. this guy had a great carreer no doubt.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jerry Bailey was thinking retirement for several years and finally, a few weeks into this season, he knew it was time for his illustrious Hall of Fame career to come to an end.

"I still enjoy competing in the biggest races on the best horses on the biggest days," the two-time Kentucky Derby winning rider said. "But to get to those days, there are a lot of routine days and I just didn't feel the passion I should have felt."

With that, Bailey said Wednesday he'll retire after riding at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 28. The 48-year-old Bailey will then begin his next career as a racing analyst for ESPN and ABC Sports, where he will be part of about 20 telecasts, including the Belmont Stakes and the Breeders' Cup.

Bailey cited other reasons for his decision, "but the one that matters the most is I just really feel it's time -- time to spend more time with my wife, Suzee, and my son, Justin."

And after a 31-year career, "I also want to walk away in one piece."

Bailey was scheduled to ride three or four horses on the Sunshine Millions card at Gulfstream in Hallandale Beach, Fla. A large group of family or friends will be in attendance for Bailey's farewell ride, which is expected to be aboard Silver Tree, trained by Bill Mott, who put Bailey aboard Cigar for the final 15 wins in a glorious record-tying, 16-race winning streak in 1995-96.

Bailey has been racing's top rider for nearly 15 years, usually ending up on many of the best horses in training. Among his greatest accomplishment was the campaign aboard Cigar, a two-time Horse of the Year who gave him perhaps his greatest win -- the 1996 Dubai World Cup.

Winning the Kentucky Derby "is probably the pinnacle of any jockey's aspirations, but if I had to pinpoint a race for me it would be the Dubai World Cup with Cigar," he said. "Not only was it a victory for me, but I was representing the United States. It was as close to being an Olympian as I could probably ever be."

Bailey often said he didn't really love horses until he climbed aboard Cigar, and his voice seemed to quiver when he spoke of it.

"He was the most genuine, charismatic horse I think I've ever been on in my life," he said.

Bailey will become the latest Hall of Fame jockey to hang up his tack. Pat Day retired in August and Gary Stevens retired a second time in November.

Known as a fierce competitor and for being well prepared for every race, Bailey will depart as a seven-time Eclipse Award winner and the nation's second-leading money earner behind Day. Bailey, with 5,890 wins through Tuesday, has earned close to $296 million; Day retired with nearly $298 million.

"What's great about Bailey is he rode like he was still 25," trainer Bobby Frankel said. "He wasn't scared. I was impressed the way he'd go through holes with no fear. And he came into the paddock before the race well prepared. He knew exactly what was going on -- he'd handicap the horses and the jockeys."

Some of Frankel's biggest wins came with Bailey in the saddle -- the 2003 Belmont Stakes with Empire Maker, the 2002 Travers with Medaglia d'Oro, and the 2001 Breeders' Cup Sprint with Squirtle Squirt.

Bailey, who rode primarily in New York, won the Derby with Sea Hero in 1993 and Grindstone in 1996. He also won the Preakness twice and the Belmont Stakes twice -- his win aboard Empire Maker spoiled Funny Cide's bid for the Triple Crown.

He won his record 15th Breeders' Cup race on Oct. 29 at Belmont Park, taking the Breeders' Cup Classic aboard Saint Liam, who is expected to be named Horse of the Year at Monday's Eclipse Awards dinner. Bailey has won the Classic a record five times.

"He's been the most dominant rider the last 15 years, and one of the most accomplished riders ever," retired great Angel Cordero Jr. said. "He's in there with guys like Pincay, Shoemaker, Arcaro, Day. He's one of us, no doubt."

Bailey began his pro career in 1974, at the age of 17, when he won at Sunland Park in New Mexico aboard Fetch. Bailey battled alcoholism before getting sober in 1989 and wrote about his experiences in "Against The Odds: Riding for My Life," published last year.

Even with a top Derby prospect in First Samurai, Bailey knows the time is now to say goodbye.

"One horse or one race wasn't going to change my decision," he said. "It's time."

bigboydan

heres a few things he has done over the years.

TRIPLE CROWN WINS -- Sea Hero (1993 Kentucky Derby); Grindstone (1996 Derby); Hansel (1991 Preakness, Belmont); Red Bullet (2000 Preakness); Empire Maker (2003 Belmont Stakes)

OTHER TOP WINS -- 15 Breeders' Cup victories, including five Classics (Black Tie Affair, 1991); (Arcangues, 1993); (Concern, 1994); (Cigar, 1995); (Saint Liam, 2005) ... Travers (Wise Times, 1986); (Sea Hero, 1993); (Medaglia d'Oro, 2002) ... Dubai World Cup (Cigar, 1996); (Singspiel, 1997); (Captain Steve, 2000); (Street Cry, 2002).

ACCOMPLISHMENTS -- Won seven Eclipse Awards for best jockey in 1995, '96, '97, 2000, '01, '02, '03 ... Inducted into racing's Hall of Fame in 1995 ... Became first rider to top $20 million in seasonal earnings, in 2001 ... All-time leading rider at Saratoga. Recorded record-setting win No. 641 on Aug. 6, 2004 ... Leading rider in Breeders' Cup history with record 15 wins, including record five in Breeders' Cup Classic. Total Breeders' Cup earnings are $22,006,440, second to Pat Day ... Second-leading money-earning rider with $295,868,139 through Jan. 17 ... Has 5,890 winners as of Jan. 17 ... Won five Belmont fall riding titles, four spring/summer titles and seven Saratoga titles ... Former president of Jockeys' Guild.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He was a great rider. He rode Skip Away like a gem!!

bigboydan

img, he was a damn good jockey.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good for him, he had a great 31 year career.