Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Shoulder strain forces Sharapova out of season opener

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Maria Sharapova withdrew from the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourts tournament with a strained right shoulder on Friday.

Sharapova, 18, suffered the injury in the second half of the season and failed to add to her 2004 Wimbledon title. The Russian expressed her disappointment with the withdrawal from the event, which kicks off the 2006 Sony Ericsson WTA Tour season.

"I am very disappointed to have to withdraw from the Mondial Women's Hardcourts in Gold Coast because my right shoulder is not yet ready to allow me to compete at the tour level," Sharapova said. "Tournament director Liz Smylie has put together a fantastic event that I hope to be able to play in 2007, and I am sure it will again be a great success this year."

Sharapova reached at least the quarterfinals at all 15 events she played -- falling to the eventual champion at all four majors -- and briefly became the first Russian-born player to reach No. 1 in the world. She hopes to be healthy enough to participate in the 2006 Australian Open.

"I will be doing everything possible in consultation with my doctors to be healthy enough to play the Australian Open," Sharapova said. "I have spent the offseason training and preparing both on and off the court for the 2006 season."

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is the worst news I have gotten all day.

aje
    aje's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would like to force her somewhere. Sorry!