madmaxx
    madmaxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

How is Mike Smith a HOF Jockey????/

The guy ruins Zenyatta then takes a horse who is much the best and tries to split when he can go wide or has a wide open rail.......this is the worst jockey of all time, he should be shot.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32799

When you win 10 Breeders Cups then you can tell Mike Smith how to run a race.

He's a HoF jockey because he won so many major races I'd be here until tomorrow posting them.

Ruined Zen?
    He guided her to 16 straight wins before losing my a nose in the Classic.

Get a clue dude, when you talk about all time worst jocks of all time, you can say maybe Joe Rocco, when you talk about all time greats, you put Smith in the argument.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

he is overrated. he doesn't seem to aggressively pursue the good mounts like some of the others. don't really think he cares that much about it.. made enough money. close to retirement.

gtkid911
    Gambling is a marathon
    gtkid911's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

He hasnt been on any good ones since Zenyatta, but i guess if you have ridden the best no one can really compare.

madmaxx

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post

He's a HoF jockey because he won so many major races I'd be here until tomorrow posting them.

Ruined Zen?

Get a clue dude, when you talk about all time worst jocks of all time, you can say maybe Joe Rocco, when you talk about all time greats, you put Smith in the argument.
    He won so many major races because assholes/morons keep giving him mounts.....explain this to me......how does a HoF jockey get DQ'ed for a "bad decision" which was trying to split instead of taking the rail or going wide....explain that one to me buddy...and YES, that was the stewards' reason for the DQ....a "bad decision" by the jockey....explain to me how a Hall of Fame jockey makes a "bad decision"

madmaxx

Quote Originally Posted by gtkid911 View Post
    He hasnt been on any good ones since Zenyatta, but i guess if you have ridden the best no one can really compare.
    He made Amazombie, who is pretty good, lose yesterday, when the horse was 10 lengths best....soooooooo yeah

madmaxx

Ruined Zen?

He expected Blame to completely fold so he sat 20 lengths back and tried to make a run when he actually had LOST a photo at del mar the year before but they would never put it up......yeah, he rides great

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68207

Ruined Zen?

Joe Rocco?

Sr. or Jr. and why would you single either one of them out?

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

he cost me pick 3 and pick 4 yesterday with that 1 he split with.

madmaxx

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post
    he cost me pick 3 and pick 4 yesterday with that 1 he split with.
    I had a $100 pick4 with him and dubwai heights singled

madmaxx

I would be very more upset if Awesome Gem wasn't so awesome....Game On Dude at 1/2.....Lol @ Lone Star

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    He expected Blame to completely fold so he sat 20 lengths back and tried to make a run when he actually had LOST a photo at del mar the year before but they would never put it up......yeah, he rides great
    I am not going to defend the Mike Smith HOF selection. An awful lot of politics goes with that HOF, but from what I saw in the Classic, Zenyatta took herself back at the start not Mike Smith. He started getting after her just after the 13/16 pole to get her going. Zenyatta had an 1/8th of a mile to get to Blame and could not. Blame on the other hand, had a darn near perfect trip and ran the race of a lifetime.
    I saw no excuse. While hopeful she would win, I thought she ran very well and saw nothing wrong with the ride IMO.

madmaxx

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    I am not going to defend the Mike Smith HOF selection. An awful lot of politics goes with that HOF, but from what I saw in the Classic, Zenyatta took herself back at the start not Mike Smith. He started getting after her just after the 13/16 pole to get her going. Zenyatta had an 1/8th of a mile to get to Blame and could not. Blame on the other hand, had a darn near perfect trip and ran the race of a lifetime.
    I saw no excuse. While hopeful she would win, I thought she ran very well and saw nothing wrong with the ride IMO.
    20 back dude, 20 back....come on.....she could catch any other horse 20 back but not one who would dig in and fight.

Blame had to be retired after that race cause Gomez beat the living shit out of him and he was bleeding to death.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I'm not a fan of Smith who always seems to circle horses and give up ground. It's hard to win without the best horse when you do that. Still, look at the number of big races the guy won and it's impossible to not give serious HOF consideration.

TonyP
    Update your status
    TonyP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1290

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    I had a $100 pick4 with him and dubwai heights singled

I knew this was the reason for insulting Smitty. It happens this his horse racing, he made a dicision that cost him to get dq'd . As a player why are you still playing california anyway? I quit playing california well southern cal not becaue the holdout althiugh it was about time someone recongnized but because of how they started padding the conditions to cater to the whales.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

Jockeys today are no where near the guys who came before them, these jocks now just don't have the same heart as the previous generations of riders, as for Smith, i've never liked him since he jumped off Prairie Bayou in the Belmont costing any chance of saving his life.

sickeric
    sickeric's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1657

plain and simple: Mike Smith is a two bit choke when the pressure is high low life. I have seen too many lazy to downright suspicious rides from this clown through the years. Hall of Shame way before Hall of Fame.

zebra58
    zebra58's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

iffy call can't blame smith it happens everyday

foryourhandicap
    foryourhandicap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1381

Yup, Zenyatta was extremely uncomfortable after the break, not just taking herself back but running very awkwardly. Smith was not at fault.

foryourhandicap

Quote Originally Posted by zebra58 View Post
    iffy call can't blame smith it happens everyday
    This is also true. If I lost because of that DQ yesterday, I'd be more upset at the stewards than Smith.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32799

Joe Rocco?

Sr. or Jr. and why would you single either one of them out?
    Senior.
    He used to tank races at Monmouth at a rate of two a day.
    He was so mobbed up.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

o.k. thanks
    Last edited by str; 05-31-11 at 03:25 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

50-1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTkjiEZEPdE
    ($2 exactly paid over 9800, trifecta 133K, and $1 superfecta 864K)

callmejrk1
    callmejrk1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

sounds like someone lost some bets lmao worked out good for me

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1580

The reason Mike Smith is in the Hall Of Fame is because its not that difficult to get in. I got burned on a big win wager when he fell asleep near the wire several summers ago. I'm not a fan and won't repeat that experience. As for his Ride on Zenyatta in the Breeder's Cup I feel he has gotten more flack than deserved. It was an O.K. ride. Plus he stated in hindsight it could have better if Zenyatta had worked over the surface prior to the race. The opening quarter she appeared to be climbing and resented the kickback causing her far back placement. Gomez rode a great race and that was the difference. Smith rides as if he hasn't recovered from that beat these days imo.

Gremlin Lad
    Gremlin Lad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mike Smith retiring from racing ????

If not , how can he even be nominated to the Hall of Fame ?

Or did the horse racing industry make up their own rules on who can be nominated.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin Lad View Post
    Mike Smith retiring from racing ????

If not , how can he even be nominated to the Hall of Fame ?

Or did the horse racing industry make up their own rules on who can be nominated.

You can go in to the horse racing HOF and still be riding or training.

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

Criteria for Eligibility

Contemporary Female and Male Horses:
    Thoroughbreds become eligible when five calendar years have elapsed between their final racing year and their year of nomination. Thoroughbreds remain eligible between five and 25 calendar years. Thoroughbreds retired for more than 25 calendar years become eligible through the Historic Review Committee.

Contemporary Jockeys:
    Jockeys become eligible after 20 years as licensed Thoroughbred riders. Jockeys remain eligible until 25 years following their retirement. Jockeys retired for more than 25 years become eligible through the Historic Review Committee.

Contemporary Trainers:
    Trainers become eligible after 25 years as licensed Thoroughbred trainers. Trainers remain eligible until 25 years following their retirement. Trainers retired for more than 25 years become eligible through the Historic Review Committee.

Special Circumstances:
    The 20- and 25-year requirements for jockeys and trainers may be waived but a five-year waiting period is then observed before they become eligible. In case of fragile health, the five-year waiting period may be waived at the discretion of the Executive Committee.

mikeyg
    mikeyg's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree 100% Mike Smith is a complete douche. He fukin ruined my image of Chantel Sutherland after he dipped his whip in her.

Fuk you Mike Smith!!!!

madmaxx

I love Chantal and she is honestly a better rider than him. As for the other comments about blaming the stewards, I agree it was a bogus call but it never should have come to that...I have watched that replay 200 times and not once would I consider DQing the horse considering he was much the best and the 4 was pretty much evened out and passing tired horses. However, Smith could have gone wide earlier or taken the rail instead of trying to split...if this was an apprentice I can understand but this guy is a 'hall of fame rider,' you should know how to pass tiring horses with a monster.

On another note, Rosario's Twirling Candy ride today was just out there. I honestly haven't seen a jockey completely force a horse to basically law down like that in a long time, especially a horse as green as Twirling Candy. It was pretty much guaranteed that if he lost the pick6 carried over again which is a big payday for a track that desperately needs it...while you can say that Twirling Candy still won for fun it could have been a workout and he still wins by 15 if Rosario doesn't try to bring him to the ground in the process...I'm certain Sadler puts someone else on him next out (perhaps Mike Smith?)

foryourhandicap

I'd be shocked if they took Rosario of Twirling Candy.

APwins
    APwins's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hes won alot of races but I feel he is overrated, I can name 50 jockeys I woould put on my horse before him, But who am I?

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by APwins View Post
    Hes won alot of races but I feel he is overrated, I can name 50 jockeys I woould put on my horse before him, But who am I?
    He has won a lot of races and a lot of big races. I agree with you saying he is over rated. He is! That is because he rides in N.Y. Let's face it, when you are an athlete in N.Y. you are looked at in a different light than if you were an athlete somewhere else.
    I am not saying he should not be in the Hall, he has done enough to be in, but we all need to realize that he is viewed in a different light because of where he rides.
    There are many jockeys as well as trainers that will not get in to the HOF because of where they work. I can easily think of a dozen jockeys that did incredible things and don't or won't even get considered.
    As for trainers, there are some N.Y. trainers that are in, that would have NEVER been considered if they raced anywhere else. A HUGE bias towards N.Y. there. There are many great horseman that have no chance of getting in. That is sad.
    And, your quote: BUT WHO AM I?:
    Let me tell you who you are. You, and all the other fans, are the single most important cog that makes the game of horse racing work. Without you, racing does not exist at near the level that it does, if at all. So too me, that makes you and all fans , the most important piece of the puzzle. Without knowing it, you guys are driving the bus. If fans ever realized this, they could force the game in any direction that made it better.
    Same as this football strike. Both sides are grabbing for our dollar. Stop going to the games and buying those damn jerseys and see what happens. What owners and players are sure of, is that the fans never will.