NHL fires referee Tim Peel over hot-mic incident

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

He was retiring this year anyways. Won’t hurt him much unless they go after benefits.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

lol he did nothing wrong

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

I have enough faith in SBR to hope that everyone here realizes this was 100% gambling related. NHL is scrambling trying to push this "game management" narrative.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20121

I didn't know Tim Donaghy could ice skate.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

This had nothing to do with gambling, he was looking for a make-up call, which referees and umpires have been doing in all sports forever to make up for bad/missed calls. Only difference here is he was caught saying it out loud.

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    This had nothing to do with gambling, he was looking for a make-up call, which referees and umpires have been doing in all sports forever to make up for bad/missed calls. Only difference here is he was caught saying it out loud.
    I agree but in this day and age, you gotta realize somebody would pick that up. Boneheaded move.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by beavis13 View Post
    I agree but in this day and age, you gotta realize somebody would pick that up. Boneheaded move.
    Yes it was dumb to say out loud, which is a shame. Refs will keep on doing it, they just won't blurt it out

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Saying fukking didn't help him either lol

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Saying fukking didn't help him either lol
    Na, cursing is meaningless, listen to some old recordings of arguments between umpires and Earl Weaver

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

So basically Peel logs onto SBR, see our hockey picks, and fukks us

Guy is an idiot, NHL better off w out this

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Yea cursing not an issue. My fave one.....

Points Awarded:

KVB gave beavis13 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

manny24 gave beavis13 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

maybe he wanted eaely retirement

bonzaii
    bonzaii's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 287

What about the Saints Rams playoff game? It actually does have to do with gambling because by calling a penalty to make up for another penalty it can alter the outcome of the game and people have money riding on the game.

chargers4222

100% gambling related, not even a question.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by bonzaii View Post
    What about the Saints Rams playoff game? It actually does have to do with gambling because by calling a penalty to make up for another penalty it can alter the outcome of the game and people have money riding on the game.
    Totally different situation, Rams game was indeed game altering, this one was called early in the period. He even said he wanted to call it early, with implication being he did NOT want it to be game altering.

chargers4222

Totally different situation, Rams game was indeed game altering, this one was called early in the period. He even said he wanted to call it early, with implication being he did NOT want it to be game altering.
    Are you joking? You don't think an early 1-0 lead either way dictates the rest of the game? You're just so naive.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    Are you joking? You don't think an early 1-0 lead either way dictates the rest of the game? You're just so naive.
    Meh, not nearly severe as a game deciding call inside the last 2 minutes. And even players know that make-up calls are part of the game and they even accept it, knowing the ref's intent is to right an earlier wrong. Really nothing to see here other than the stupidity of saying it out loud. Again, 0% to do with gambling.

chargers4222

Meh, not nearly severe as a game deciding call inside the last 2 minutes. And even players know that make-up calls are part of the game and they even accept it, knowing the ref's intent is to right an earlier wrong. Really nothing to see here other than the stupidity of saying it out loud. Again, 0% to do with gambling.
    OK, you're wrong and supremely naive.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by beavis13 View Post
    Yea cursing not an issue. My fave one.....

LT Profits

OK, you're wrong and supremely naive.
    No, YOU are wrong for not realizing make-up calls are as old as time. That is all this was, no more no less, not everything is about betting.

TheMoneyShot

I remember a game a long time ago in the NHL in which a blatant NON CALL cost a team an early 1-0 deficit. The ref knew he screwed up... and throughout the entire game.... gave the other team 10 Power Plays in which they went 0-10 on including 2 5 on 3's (again... the other team couldn't score.) The other team had only 2 Power Plays... and they went 0-2.

Final score was like 2-0.

I'm just saying... Ref's shouldn't dictate a game.... they shouldn't fukk up a NON CALL.... and they shouldn't try to MAKE UP for it either. The goalie just stood on his head... I think there was like 52 shots... and he saved all 52.

TheMoneyShot

I forgot to add... naturally the head coach that won... still bitched out the ref for giving the other team 10 Power Plays... it was clearly evident at the end of the 3rd period. Very humorous to watch. So 1 NON CALL can get you into HOT WATER for 60 minutes.

LT Profits

I remember a game a long time ago in the NHL in which a blatant NON CALL cost a team an early 1-0 deficit. The ref knew he screwed up... and throughout the entire game.... gave the other team 10 Power Plays in which they went 0-10 on including 2 5 on 3's (again... the other team couldn't score.) The other team had only 2 Power Plays... and they went 0-2.

I'm just saying... Ref's shouldn't dictate a game.... they shouldn't fukk up a NON CALL.... and they shouldn't try to MAKE UP for it either. The goalie just stood on his head... I think there was like 52 shots... and he saved all 52.
    Oh I am not saying it is right or wrong, I am just saying make-ups are commonplace in all sports and even accepted with players knowing what is going on, although it is almost always just one make up call and not 10 like you described

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

How about MLB when the homeplate ump is biased. Greg Maddux in his prime comes to mind. Great pitcher but the fukker used to get calls 6 inches off the plate and the same ump same game wouldn't give the other team's pitcher calls that painted the black. That's the most fukked up thing in sports is ump bias on balls and strikes in Mlb. I've seen so many games like that over the years I wanna vomit thinking about it. It was really bad in the 90s and 00s. It's not nearly as prevalent today as back then probably because of better replays and angles so the refs don't bs as much but it still happens. Sports is never truly fair. It's just a matter of if a team is resilient enough to overcome an injustice.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

You can't say FU on live TV. You get fired immediately.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    How about MLB when the homeplate ump is biased. Greg Maddux in his prime comes to mind. Great pitcher but the fukker used to get calls 6 inches off the plate and the same ump same game wouldn't give the other team's pitcher calls that painted the black. That's the most fukked up thing in sports is ump bias on balls and strikes in Mlb. I've seen so many games like that over the years I wanna vomit thinking about it. It was really bad in the 90s and 00s. It's not nearly as prevalent today as back then probably because of better replays and angles so the refs don't bs as much but it still happens. Sports is never truly fair. It's just a matter of if a team is resilient enough to overcome an injustice.
    MMA is the purest sport because the ref usually has very little to do with the outcome.

Well except for golf. And pool. Oh and bowling. OK Nevermind about MMA

Tuesday
    Whores...God Bless 'Em
    Tuesday's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4061

Lots of courts use this quote:

"Eliminating the perception of bias is more important than if bias actually exists."

Because betting helps make sports more popular, the NHL has to eliminate anything that makes it appear the referees micro manage the games - even though the referees do micro manage all the time and control which team has advantages.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Overreaction by the nhl, refs are humans and they sometimes obviously will make calls based on emotion, means nothing.

Wrongside
    Only Backdoor'd; never backdoor
    Wrongside's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 773

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    Tom Glavine too, especially in playoffs

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    MMA is the purest sport because the ref usually has very little to do with the outcome.

Well except for golf. And pool. Oh and bowling. OK Nevermind about MMA
    Still wondering out of all Sports... and Esports etc... why the fukk aren't we allowed to wager on Bowling? I don't get it?

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

pathetic

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Musta been Jon Casey of the MN North Stars

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16267

Hockey refs have been this way for ever.It amazing how they keep track of Penalties. When i watch a game say La Vs Chicago La has been on 2 strait power plays i will turn to my wife and say next one will be on Chicago for sure watch and there it will be,I was at a Iowa Wild Minor League Game a penalty was called against them at the last 3 minutes of the ist period and the bench screamed at the ref for one minute after the end of the period.I turned to a freind it was his first hocky game and said watch Iowa will get a power play in the first 2 minutes of this period.It did not even take that long 40 seconds in he called a penalty on other team.

12 Last