vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Average time per possession in NBA?

I was looking for average time per possession in NBA for all the teams. It is basically a time taken by a team to take a shot on a 24-second time-clock.

I looked online in several websites. But I couldn't find this info. They all show overall game possession percentage or offensive efficiency etc..

Does anybody know a website which has this info? A related term would be "Pace" for any team. I have this info in CBB through Kenpom. However, cant seem to find a website for NBA.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would say 15 seconds..........

vyomguy

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    I would say 15 seconds..........
    I am interested in stats for all 32 NBA teams.

Kenpom has pace stats for like 400 college basketball teams. So, I am sure there must be some website which tracks 32 nba teams.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

vyomguy

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    Thanks. Do you know of any website which tracks average time taken per 24 second shot clock for all teams? They might be proportional to pace..but wanted to see the individual numbers.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
    Thanks. Do you know of any website which tracks average time taken per 24 second shot clock for all teams? They might be proportional to pace..but wanted to see the individual numbers.
    I am sure they exist but I don't know any offhand.

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

Bumping this, looking for the same info. I know 82games has shot clock usage. How in the world is there not a stat for this? People with models can calculate this if you scrape play by plays, but then there's the issue of the clock still running after a score and before inbounding it. Why do some arenas stop the clock after a score while others let it run?

HUY
    HUY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3257

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectGrape View Post
    Bumping this, looking for the same info. I know 82games has shot clock usage. How in the world is there not a stat for this? People with models can calculate this if you scrape play by plays, but then there's the issue of the clock still running after a score and before inbounding it. Why do some arenas stop the clock after a score while others let it run?
    I thought the clock stops if the score was in the last 1 (or 2 or something) minute of the period.

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

Quote Originally Posted by HUY View Post
    I thought the clock stops if the score was in the last 1 (or 2 or something) minute of the period.
    I def notice that all over, but some teams always stop the clock after a score regardless of the time/score. Other teams let it run after a score and 1-2 seconds is wasted fumbling around getting the ball to the inbounder. This would translate to less possessions per game affecting the capping of the total.

Edit: nvm you were right, it always runs until last minutes of quarters.

Section V-Stoppage of Timing Devices
    a. The timing devices shall be stopped whenever the official's whistle sounds indicating one of the following:
    (1) A personal or technical foul.
    (2) A jump ball.
    (3) A floor violation.
    (4) An unusual delay.
    (5) A suspension-of-play for any other emergency (no substitutions are permitted.)
    (6) A regular or 20-second timeout.
    b. The timing devices shall be stopped:
    (1) During the last minute of the first, second and third periods following a successful field goal attempt.
    (2)During the last two minutes of regulation play and/or overtime(s) following a successful field goal attempt.
    c. Officials may not use official time to permit a player to change or repair equipment.
    Last edited by PerfectGrape; 12-29-12 at 08:51 PM.