koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Kyle Schwarber agrees to one-year deal with Washington Nationals

Free-agent outfielder Kyle Schwarber, one of the heroes of the 2016 World Series title run for the Chicago Cubs, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Washington Nationals, it was announced Saturday.

A source told ESPN's Jeff Passan that the deal is for $10 million.

Schwarber was non-tendered on Dec. 3, becoming a free agent after six seasons with the Cubs. The 27-year-old outfielder was in his final year of arbitration, but the Cubs let him go after he hit just .188 with 11 home runs in 59 games during the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

Schwarber said a "big factor" in his joining the Nationals was reuniting with manager Davey Martinez, who was a coach with the Cubs from 2015 to 2017.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47642

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    The Jays just didn't want to give up alot of prospects and ruin the farm system
    Sometimes you have to use the farm system as capitol to make trades. Given what Cleveland got from the Mets, it doesn't look like a trade for Lindor would've ruined your farm system.

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16666

I agree, but I think thats what the Jays Brass was thinking. Either way they gotta make some moves and quick.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Don't understand why guys are still posting in 2020 thread, they are living in the past.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Haha, let’s forget about 2020, I agree.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 451

Trevor Bauer has relied heavily on social media to keep fans aware of his trip through free agency, and the right-hander shared his latest thoughts in a new YouTube video detailing his top priorities in finding a new team. Some of these sentiments have been shared by Bauer in past interviews, though it is certainly worth checking in to see what the offseason’s top free agent is looking for, particularly since the free agent market as a whole has yet to really develop as we approach the middle of January.
    To begin with, Bauer says that geography and market size aren’t big factors in his decision-making process. The Los Angeles native seemingly doesn’t mind one way or the other about playing close to home, and as Bauer points out, his online presence allows him to publicize himself and his brand from anywhere in North America, no matter the size of his next team’s media market.
    What is important, however, is that team’s willingness to allow Bauer to continue his attempts at growing a brand and being more visible, as well as a willingness to include teammates in those endeavors (if they so choose) as part of his efforts to grow broader interest in baseball. It all ties into Bauer’s desire for “a partnership” with his next team, and a two-way effort by both sides.
    In regards to his personal training methods and data-driven approach, the reigning NL Cy Young Award winner wants “to be able to be with an organization that values those things, that can give me information that I can learn from and increase my knowledge base and my understanding of the game. But I also want an organization that’s open to some of the things that I’m doing and can learn from me.”
    For instance, as it relates to Bauer’s oft-stated desire to pitch every fourth day, he isn’t insistent that his team deploy him in such a fashion, but simply that the team be open to seriously considering the possibility. Naturally, Bauer’s plan will hinge on how his pitching on shorter rest could impact the rest of a rotation — “I don’t want to ever take away from my fellow players’ ability to go out and do their job to the best of their ability,” Bauer said, since the point is to get “everybody performing at a higher level.”
    Since Bauer feels he’ll be “as good or better” pitching on three days’ rest, however, he sees this ability as a plus to a pitching staff. Depending on a team’s needs, Bauer pitching more often could help address multiple situations, as he notes that it could help other pitchers who perform better with more rest, or pitchers who are on innings limits.
    Particularly coming off an abbreviated 2020 season and questions about how many pitchers will now have to rebuild arm strength for a longer 2021 campaign, Bauer’s argument is certainly persuasive. He also said that the Reds, his former team, were “great about actually having that discussion” about potentially making more frequent starts in 2020, though Bauer ended up pitching only once last season on three days’ rest (delivering one of his best outings of the year).
    Aside from mentioning pitching for the Reds, Indians, and Diamondbacks over his career, Bauer didn’t provide any specifics about particular teams who might be candidates to sign him, or any details about his contractual demands, whether they be longer-term or shorter-term deals. He restated that he wants to play for a team that will make an aggressive push to contend every season (“My career is too short to really be part of a rebuilding window. I just don’t want to do that.”) and he wants “to be fairly compensated for my value,” which covers both what he offers a team based on past track record and what he’ll offer going forward in projected future performance.
    Broadly, Bauer has a simple overall goal for the next step of his career: “I want to be happy.” While quite probably not a sign that Bauer is exploring a return to Cincinnati or Cleveland, Bauer did say that over “the last couple of years…I’ve enjoyed playing baseball a lot more than I have earlier in my professional career. I don’t want to go back to being miserable playing the game I love.”

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Bauer talk is getting old, tired of this guy.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Not you Empiremaker, sick of Bauer... keep up the great updates!!

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16000

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Bauer talk is getting old, tired of this guy.
    It does seem like he is milking his free agency. I too wish he would sign already and end the suspense but I guess if I were a hot free agent I would milk it for all it was worth before I made my decision where I was playing next.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Don't understand why guys are still posting in 2020 thread, they are living in the past.
    Haha, let’s forget about 2020, I agree.
    Was wondering the same thing lol...there are also people posting in the bitcoin 2020 thread and not the new one...the are suckers for nostalgia, I guess?

Stallion
    Update your status

I hope Bauer signs with the Jays along with Lemahieu.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    I hope Bauer signs with the Jays along with Lemahieu.
    I'd love to see Lemahieu sign with you guys..hoping he snubs both NY teams.

EmpireMaker

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told teams Monday to expect spring training to begin on time in February and for a 162-game regular season to occur, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.
    While plans could change based on the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s nonetheless a major development right now that the league has informed its clubs that it intends to return to a full schedule this year. MLB could only play 60 regular-season games per team in 2020, and there has since been talk about another shortened campaign in 2021.
    Less than a month ago, the league seemed as if it was preparing for a delayed spring training and a second consecutive shortened season, though that idea did not go over well with the MLBPA. The union, led by senior director of collective bargaining and legal Bruce Meyer, quickly fired back, saying that “players are planning on showing up for spring training on time for a full 162-game season as set forth in the collective bargaining agreement and the league’s previously issued schedule.”
    While the players accepted a truncated season with prorated pay last year, they don’t seem willing to go that route yet again. Plus, as Nightengale notes, the league does not have the right to unilaterally push back the start of the upcoming season. That could help set the stage to a return to a full campaign, though it’s unknown whether fans will be allowed back in the stands this year.
    Of course, if MLB does revert to 162 games with full salaries for players, it could lessen tensions between the league and the union as they try to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement before the current one expires in December. The two sides have been at loggerheads over multiple issues in the past couple of years, and if MLB would have fought for another season of fewer than 162 games, it likely would have made their relationship worse. Still, the league and its players do have other matters to hash out soon, Nightengale writes, with health and safety protocols, the universal DH and expanded playoffs among them.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

White Sox giving big money to closer Hendriks. This Sox team is stacked!

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Wow another huge move by the White Sox. These guys mean business this year they have to be among the favorites in the AL to at least win the pennant if not the World Series.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 338

White Sox were on the cusp last year.

JAKEPEAVY21

I'm not that enamored with their starting pitching. That could be their Achilles heel.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10265

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told teams Monday to expect spring training to begin on time in February and for a 162-game regular season to occur, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.
    While plans could change based on the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s nonetheless a major development right now that the league has informed its clubs that it intends to return to a full schedule this year. MLB could only play 60 regular-season games per team in 2020, and there has since been talk about another shortened campaign in 2021.
    Less than a month ago, the league seemed as if it was preparing for a delayed spring training and a second consecutive shortened season, though that idea did not go over well with the MLBPA. The union, led by senior director of collective bargaining and legal Bruce Meyer, quickly fired back, saying that “players are planning on showing up for spring training on time for a full 162-game season as set forth in the collective bargaining agreement and the league’s previously issued schedule.”
    While the players accepted a truncated season with prorated pay last year, they don’t seem willing to go that route yet again. Plus, as Nightengale notes, the league does not have the right to unilaterally push back the start of the upcoming season. That could help set the stage to a return to a full campaign, though it’s unknown whether fans will be allowed back in the stands this year.
    Of course, if MLB does revert to 162 games with full salaries for players, it could lessen tensions between the league and the union as they try to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement before the current one expires in December. The two sides have been at loggerheads over multiple issues in the past couple of years, and if MLB would have fought for another season of fewer than 162 games, it likely would have made their relationship worse. Still, the league and its players do have other matters to hash out soon, Nightengale writes, with health and safety protocols, the universal DH and expanded playoffs among them.
    hmmm that doesn't seem likely.....

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    hmmm that doesn't seem likely.....
    Would be nice to get a full season but I agree.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    I'm not that enamored with their starting pitching. That could be their Achilles heel.
    Eh, they have enough pitching.
    Not like NY or SD, but it's OK.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Detroit Tigers, Michael Fulmer avoid arbitration 1-year deal

DETROIT -- Right-hander Michael Fulmer and the Detroit Tigers agreed Tuesday to a $3.1 million, one-year contract that avoided arbitration.

The 2016 AL Rookie of the Year went 0-2 with an 8.78 ERA in 10 starts last season after missing all of 2019 because of Tommy John surgery. He earned $1,037,037 in prorated pay from a $2.8 million salary.

Stallion
    Update your status

There is no chance of a 162 game season. Manfred is dreaming...

EmpireMaker

The Cubs’ trade of Yu Darvish cleared $62MM from the books over the next three years, but Russell Dorsey of the Chicago Sun-Times writes in his latest mailbag column that it’s still unlikely the team will agree to a contract extension with any of its pending free agents prior to the start of Spring Training. Each of Javier Baez, Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant is set to hit the market next year, and while the latter of that trio has seen his name prominently circulated in the rumor mill, Baez and Rizzo have broadly been considered extension candidates. A long-term arrangement could come together once camp is underway, Dorsey notes, but only if the “right situation presented itself.”
    Of course, given that no deal has come with Baez despite years of negotiations and that Rizzo already has already signed one team-friendly deal, it’s hard to see either player inking a deal that heavily favors the Cubs. The fact that both players are coming off down seasons only further muddies the matter. Both players have considerable career earnings already and may prefer to bet on a personal rebound rather than selling themselves short after a lackluster 2020 showing.
    More out of baseball’s Central divisions…

• In his latest Q&A with readers, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals aren’t actively pursuing rotation upgrades outside of a potential reunion with Adam Wainwright. The Cards aren’t being particularly aggressive in their efforts to re-sign either Wainwright or fellow franchise icon Yadier Molina, per Goold, instead continuing to wait out a glacial free-agent market. Should Wainwright ultimately sign elsewhere, the Cards might pivot and look for a low-cost deal with a comparable veteran, but they’ve “continued to position themselves as a team that will reduce payroll,” Goold writes.
    • The Tigers are expected to be among the teams on hand for free-agent right-hander Corey Kluber’s showcase in Florida on Wednesday, Chris McCosky of the Detroit News tweets. It figures to be a well-attended event to watch Kluber, a two-time American League Cy Young winner in Cleveland who endured injury-plagued years in 2019 and ’20. A fractured forearm limited the longtime workhorse to 35 2/3 innings in his last season as a member of the Indians, and then he threw just one frame last year as a Ranger while battling shoulder issues. Still, the 34-year-old looks to carry plenty of appeal as a buy-low candidate. In Detroit’s case, the 34-year-old could help improve a rotation that received dismal production from Matthew Boyd and Michael Fulmer last season, perhaps while mentoring much younger hurlers such as Casey Mize, Tarik Skubal and Matt Manning.
    • The Twins, whose interest in Kluber was previously reported, will also be at Kluber’s showcase, per La Velle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune. Kluber has ties to Twins chief baseball officer Derek Falvey, who was part of the Cleveland front office that acquired the former ace.
    • The Cubs are yet another Central team that will take in Kluber’s session, Sahadev Sharma of The Athletic relays. They’re in clear need of rotation upgrades beyond Kyle Hendricks and Zach Davies, but they’re not in big-spending mode. It remains to be seen whether Kluber will end up in their price range.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Let’s play 162, seems like such a pipe dream.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

I disagree because I think adding Lynn to Giolito and Keuchel at the top of the rotation gives them a solid staff. It may not be the most dominant but I think it's enough to give them a shot at going to the World Series. Adding Hendriks to the back end of the bullpen fills a huge void left by Colome leaving. One thing for sure the White Sox are a team to look out for this year in the AL.
    Last edited by jrgum3; 01-12-21 at 11:47 PM.

JAKEPEAVY21

Let’s play 162, seems like such a pipe dream.
    We will get it done hopefully.

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    I disagree because I think adding Lynn to Giolito and Keuchel at the top of the rotation gives them a solid staff. It may not be the most dominant but I think it's enough to give them a shot at going to the World Series. Adding Hendriks to the back end of the bullpen fills a huge void left by Colome leaving. One thing for sure the White Sox are a team to look out for this year in the AL.
    They are going to win alot of games in 2021, good enough to win it all I am not sure.

EmpireMaker

3:02pm: Lefty Martin Perez is another name on the Padres’ radar, tweets Rosenthal. San Diego general manager A.J. Preller played an integral role in signing and developing Perez during his days with the Rangers.
    While connections between GMs and players they’ve drafted/signed/developed with prior organizations don’t always carry tons of weight, Preller has frequently shown an affinity for former Rangers since taking the reins in San Diego. Not only did he acquire Darvish earlier this winter, but he’s also acquired Jurickson Profar, Mitch Moreland and Carl Edwards Jr. in past trades and signed Ian Kinsler on a two-year free-agent deal.
    None of that makes Perez any sort of lock to land in San Diego, of course, but his price tag seems more in line with the back-of-the-rotation depth role that appears available in San Diego than does Tanaka’s expected price point.
    Perez, who once rated as one of the game’s elite pitching prospects, has yet to justify the considerable prospect fanfare attached to his name as a minor leaguer, but he’s a durable fifth starter who had a decent showing with the Red Sox in 2020 when he posted a 4.50 ERA in 68 innings. Beyond the ERA, there wasn’t much to like about Perez’s season: 5.43 SIERA, 6.9% K-BB%, career-low 38.5 percent grounder rate. Perez, however, has yet to turn 30, and the lone arm injury he’s suffered since 2015 Tommy John surgery came when he sustained an offseason injury in his non-throwing elbow on his ranch in Venezuela.
    2:00pm: The Padres have already overhauled their pitching staff since the 2020 trade deadline, adding Mike Clevinger, Yu Darvish and Blake Snell in a trio of trades. (Clevinger, of course, is expected to miss the bulk of 2021 following Tommy John surgery.) Despite those acquisitions, the Padres still at least open to further additions and are doing “background work” on multiple candidates, including righty Masahiro Tanaka, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription required).
    It’s been relatively quiet in terms of Tanaka chatter this winter. There’s been plenty of speculation about a possible reunion with the Yankees, given his dependability and success in the Bronx, but the team’s focus has been squarely on DJ LeMahieu to this point. A Tanaka reunion still seems plausible, particularly if LeMahieu ultimately goes elsewhere. As Rosenthal points out, the 32-year-old Tanaka is no stranger to Padres pitching coach Larry Rothschild, who served as the right-hander’s pitching coach with the Yankees from 2014-18. And based on his track record, Tanaka ought to have plenty of other suitors. He’s also left the door open for a possible return to Japan.
    Tanaka started 10 games for the Yankees in 2020, pitching to a 3.56 ERA and 4.07 SIERA while striking out 22.3 percent of the hitters he faced against a 4.1 percent walk rate — the latter being the second-best mark of his career. While Tanaka may not be the ace that Yankees fans hoped he could become when he was initially signed to a seven-year contract, he’s become a rock-solid mid-rotation starter who could deepen just about any staff in baseball. Over the past three seasons, Tanaka has pitched to a 4.06 ERA and near-identical 4.03 SIERA with a 16.9 K-BB%.
    At the moment, the San Diego rotation figures to be headlined by Darvish, Snell, Dinelson Lamet and Chris Paddack. Young lefty Adrian Morejon could be the early favorite for the fifth spot, and uber-prospect MacKenzie Gore looms on the horizon as an expected addition at some point in 2021. Still, Lamet missed the postseason due to elbow troubles, and signing Tanaka could help the Padres to limit the workloads of not only Lamet but also touted youngsters like Morejon and Gore. It’s expected that clubs will look for ways to prevent major workload spikes from 2020’s 60-game slate to what is currently hoped to be a full 162-game set in 2021; signing Tanaka or another veteran arm would certainly help a win-now Padres club work toward that end.
    The larger question for the Padres could be one of spending capacity. The Friars are already in line to open the season north of $160MM both in present-day payroll and luxury tax obligations. Both are franchise records for the San Diego organization at a time when most other clubs throughout the league are looking to offset revenue losses from this past season. Signing Tanaka would quite likely push the Padres beyond $170MM.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    They are going to win alot of games in 2021, good enough to win it all I am not sure.
    They were a playoff team last season but pitching kept them from winning the pennant. I think they can take that next step but you're right it might not be enough to win it all. I do think they have a legit chance to represent the AL in the World Series though.

JAKEPEAVY21

I would not mind signing Tanaka for a reasonable price.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

I would not mind signing Tanaka for a reasonable price.
    Tanaka is a good third or fourth starter in a rotation. With Snell and Darvish already in San Diego he wouldn't feel like he has to carry the rotation kind of like he did in a Yankee uniform.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Joe Musgrove had the biggest fastball drop off usage in 2020 than any other starter (since 2018)

BigSpoon
    Henlo

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...lls-52-million

US Fed money printing has inflated all assets including sports cards. Wild.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Fun to see the sports card prices, unreal!

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10265

T
    Former Dodgers All-Star Alex Wood signed a one-year, $3 million contract, the Giants announced Thursday evening. Wood can make an additional $3 million in performance bonuses.

First 123456 ... Last